Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Owners can't get dog back

1. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"

Owners can't get dog back

Advertisements
    I put this in Debates because I'm not sure how it will end up.

Summary:
    Dog got 'lost' during a tornado, found 45 miles away, put in shelter then up for adoption 5 days later. Original owners find dog adopted weeks later and new owners won't return the dog.

Indiana family wants dog back after tornado, adopter says no

Here is why it might turn into a debate...

The dog was left tied up outside during the tornado. It got itself loose and wandered, I assume looking for shelter.

Do you think the original owners have a right to get their dog back, considering it was left tied up outside during the storm.

Its been a while since I've owned a pet, but isn't that a bit cruel.. to leave your pet tied up.. why didn't they take the dog with them....

so.. what are your thoughts.. should the original owners seek legal action and get their dog back.. or???

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Nope, I think he is better off with new owners. There is no way I would leave my dog tied up outside knowing a tornado is coming. Poor thing. He must have been so scared.
  3. Senior Member
    They have no right. Leave your dog tied outside in a tornado? Yeah, fuck that I wouldn't give it back either.
  4. Senior Member
    For me it depends on the circumstances of the dog being left outside. Did the family flee their home because the tornado was coming (seems unlikely because they happen so fast but who knows)? Were they out of town and someone was dog sitting so the dog was outside for a portion of the day? The reasoning for the dog being outside by itself in a tornado is what would sway me. So right now . They could be good owners in an unfortunate situation or they could have pretty much didn't give a F and just left the dog there.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    For me it depends on the circumstances of the dog being left outside. Did the family flee their home because the tornado was coming (seems unlikely because they happen so fast but who knows)? Were they out of town and someone was dog sitting so the dog was outside for a portion of the day? The reasoning for the dog being outside by itself in a tornado is what would sway me. So right now . They could be good owners in an unfortunate situation or they could have pretty much didn't give a F and just left the dog there.
    Yes but IMO, a dog should never be "tied up outside". Put him in a dog run, or leave him in the yard where he can at least seek some sort of shelter hopefully, or better yet, keep him crated up inside if he can't roam the house. I always feel bad for dogs tied up, because they are pretty much fair game for any predators coming their way and can't get away.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    The article states they "returned home" to find the home damaged - so it sounds like no one was home at the time the storm actually struck. If the normal routine was for the dog to be left tied outside in the family's absence I can't really fault them for that being the situation on a day when weather happens to strike - there would be just as much risk of the dog becoming lost had he been in a kennel outside or in the house when the tornado struck.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagan View Post
    Yes but IMO, a dog should never be "tied up outside". Put him in a dog run, or leave him in the yard where he can at least seek some sort of shelter hopefully, or better yet, keep him crated up inside if he can't roam the house. I always feel bad for dogs tied up, because they are pretty much fair game for any predators coming their way and can't get away.
    Which has nothing to do with him being loose after a tornado - as all of your examples of better keeping could just as easily have resulted in this same situation....

FTR - I am no fan of tying a dog up myself (more do to the psychological/behavioral issues that can arise), but I find your logic in this situation to be flawed.
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Mare View Post
    The article states they "returned home" to find the home damaged - so it sounds like no one was home at the time the storm actually struck. If the normal routine was for the dog to be left tied outside in the family's absence I can't really fault them for that being the situation on a day when weather happens to strike - there would be just as much risk of the dog becoming lost had he been in a kennel outside or in the house when the tornado struck.
    is it customary for people to tie their dogs up outside when they are away?

I mean, do people actually do that.. tie their dog up outside with a bowl of food and water and just be gone?

The article doesn't state how long the family was gone.

Just seems odd to me that someone would leave their dog tied up in a yard if they weren't home...

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    is it customary for people to tie their dogs up outside when they are away?

I mean, do people actually do that.. tie their dog up outside with a bowl of food and water and just be gone?

The article doesn't state how long the family was gone.

Just seems odd to me that someone would leave their dog tied up in a yard if they weren't home...
    I wouldn't say it is "customary" - but it isn't an oddity As you said, the article doesn't say how long they were gone - those who are taking this as a problem seem to be working on an assumption that they were away for an extended period while it could just as easily be that they had only been gone a short time. Many people choose to use a "tether" to contain their dog outdoors (both while home and while away) vs. having a fenced yard, kennel, etc. There are several issues with this approach, but that does not make it "wrong" until/unless one is residing in a locality where it is addressed as part of the animal welfare regulations of that area.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    *I* just don't see why the location of the dog at the time of the tornado is part of the determination over whether the original owner or adopter should retain possession - would those of you on the side of the adopter feel different if the dog HAD been inside the house and gotten loose when the home was badly damaged by the tornado?
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast