Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Santa S/O

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Changing Santa S/O

Advertisements
    Based off of this thread: Teacher tells student he can't dress as Santa

What would you think if Santa was changed to a different character? Someone in that article suggested a non-human santa, like a penguin. Maybe his race could just be more ambiguous? Maybe he could be a faceless, formless magical energy?

I know race is different than this but it also made me think about the fact that Santa is a man. That never bothered me at all personally. Maybe Mrs. Claus could have been a doctor or a reindeer vet or something. Santa and Dr. Claus has a nice ring to it

What are your thoughts on the character of Santa? What would it take to change him? Would you be okay/mad/excited/indifferent to Santa being changed?
  2. Senior Member
    I would be sad if gender was changed, race I couldn't care less about.

Santa is a man and Mrs. Clause is a woman and that's that. There's nothing sexist about it, he just is male. . If a female played the role of Santa AS a male that would not bother me.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. Moderator

Santa's nothing more than a fairy tale creature in movies, at my house- he doesn't bring presents, there's no such thing as a naughty/nice list, he has no elf on any shelf reporting to him... so I wouldn't care. It wouldn't WORK, because my child is 2 and she's got a certain image of the character cemented in her brain, but I don't think it's offensive in any way whatsoever for Santa to look like/sound like whatever the heck he wants to.
  4. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by SingWeJoyous View Post
    Santa's nothing more than a fairy tale creature in movies, at my house- he doesn't bring presents, there's no such thing as a naughty/nice list, he has no elf on any shelf reporting to him... so I wouldn't care. It wouldn't WORK, because my child is 2 and she's got a certain image of the character cemented in her brain, but I don't think it's offensive in any way whatsoever for Santa to look like/sound like whatever the heck he wants to.
    Basically this. We have Saint Nicholas who was a person and we do talk about him, we have an Elf that is fun and does activities with LM but no reporting to "santa" BS or anything. IDC what he looks or sounds like or is because it just isn't an issue in our home.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    That would be weird...and sad. Santa is a make believe person. It would be like...changing Snow White.
  6. Senior Member
    Santa is make believe, I wouldn't care.

Sure, make it fun for the kids by pretending there is a jolly, highly flushed in the face, large man with a white beard. Not bothered if people say he's white, black, or of middle east descent(spell check?). If a woman dresses up like him (like they did with the football coach on Glee when Brittney wanted Santa to give Artie legs), I say awesome and cudos.

But I don't think people should get up in arms about the race or gender of 'Santa'.

And Mrs. Claus, I kinda figured to be a stay at home wife who loved what she did and supported her husband. I couldnt care less if she had a profession.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

FWIW, I don't really care about Santa or Mrs. Claus, what they do for a living, or what they look like. I'm not offended by any of it, I just think the topic is interesting.
  8. The Dude Abides
    The Dude Abides
    I don't really care either way. It's a completely fictional character. Make the Easter Bunny an Easter Shark, it just doesn't matter.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahcuda View Post
    I don't really care either way. It's a completely fictional character. Make the Easter Bunny an Easter Shark, it just doesn't matter.
    Can we please?
  10. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahcuda View Post
    Exactly. I don't care.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast