Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MN College Student Facing Loss of Limbs after Passing Out on Porch in Freezing Temps

1. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

MN College Student Facing Loss of Limbs after Passing Out on Porch in Freezing Temps

Advertisements
    I'm putting this in debates because I've been seeing it get heated on FB and in the comments of articles.

Alyssa Jo Lommel, 19, may lose limbs after being left on porch for hours in the freezing cold 'following a night of tequila shots' | Mail Online

A 19-year-old college student is facing the terrifying prospect of possibly losing her hands and feet after being found unconscious and suffering from extreme hypothermia on the porch of a Duluth, Minnesota, home.
    Alyssa Jo Lommel was found by passersby Saturday morning after spending the night outside in subzero temperatures.
    Duluth police say Lommel was at Regions Hospital in St. Paul Monday. Her condition was described as ’stable critical.’

Police say Lommel, a sophomore at the University of Minnesota Duluth, was found unconscious on the porch of her neighbor's house just after 9.30am Saturday.
    She had been dropped off at her home in Duluth at about midnight after reportedly spending a night with friends doing tequila shots.
    Lommel's parents, Jay and Teri Lommel of St. Cloud, told the St. Cloud Times their daughter suffered significant damage to her hands and feet and could lose one or more of them.

The parents have set up a page on the site CaringBridge.org offering updates on Alyssa Jo's condition.
    Mrs Lommel wrote Tuesday afternoon that doctors have been testing the circulation in her limbs in order to reduce swelling and hopefully avoid amputation.
    The 19-year-old has already undergone surgery to restore blood flow to one of her arms, and she may require skin grafts to repair the damage to her extremities.

The Lommels also posted a note on the site thanking the couple who spotted their daughter lying on the porch.
    ‘We owe Alyssa’s life to you two. Our family cannot be grateful enough that you happened to see her,’ the missive read. ‘She could not have survived much longer out in the elements. You two will forever be in our hearts and prayers and we cannot thank you enough for what you did.’
    On Friday, Miss Lommel, a sophomore majoring in psychology and sociology, posted a message on her Twitter account that said, 'tequila shots tonight.' It has since been removed.

According to Minneapolis Star Tribune citing a police report, the 19-year-old got home from work at around 5.30pm and had a bagel for dinner.

At around 10.30pm, she and a roommate went to a friend's house, where they played a drinking game with cards called 'ride the bus.'
    The report states that the underage girl lost several rounds and had to take shots.

Police reported finding a Twitter message on Lommel's account stating: 'Yum Yum 10th shot of tequila,' Grand Forks Herald reported.

Her roommate told police that Lommel had been taking medication for an unspecified illness every day.

At around 11pm, the sophmore was picked up by her friends, who drove her home and dropped her off outside her front door at 810 Woodland Avenue, but left without waiting for her to go inside.

Alyssa Jo's companions later told investigators that the 19-year-old was tipsy but not intoxicated to the point of falling down. She was said to have her keys and cell phone in her possession.

Two of Lommel's roommates returned home a few hours later without noticing that the girl was not there. Neither reported hearing knocks on the door.

Then at around 9.30am the following morning, Ellen Johnson and her boyfriend, Sam Salo, were driving down the street when she spotted a woman lying on a porch and called police, Duluth News Tribune reported.

Officers who responded to the scene at 808 Woodland Avenue discovered Alyssa Jo lying unconsious on her right side.

She was wearing a coat and UGG boots, but no gloves, and her hands were three times their normal size, with skin split from palm to finger.

Officers followed Lommel's tracks in the snow around the house, showing that the college student made her way to the unheated garage, where she likely sought refuge from the cold for a while, fell down and then crawled back to the porch.
    The house stood empty that night since its occupants, members of UMD women's basketball team, were out on the road.

The UMD released a statement urging students to be careful in extremely cold weather, dress in layers, travel in groups and let people know when planning to go out.
    So the issue is surfacing that blame for this incident should fall on the friends that dropped her off for not making sure she made it inside the home safely... I agree with the fact that that was kind of a shitty friend move to just leave after dropping your friend off but I'm also making the assumption her said friends were probably intoxicated too. Also that you're responsible for yourself, it wasn't necessarily their responsibility to take care of her. She chose to drink, chose to get drunk and while it is tragic the burdens she is now facing, how can you hold accountable these other teens for her bad decisions?

Plus, she's NINETEEN, that's well under the legal drinking age, she made an irresponsible decision to consume alcohol and is about to be facing a really hard life lesson.

Idk, what's your take on this?

2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    All are to blame.

Her for drinking, especially to the point of getting stupid drunk.

The friends for not making sure their friend arrived INSIDE the home safely.. (I mean its MN in the winter, in below zero temps who in their right mind wouldn't make sure a person was inside.... operative words being 'right mind')//

The owners of the home for allow underage drinking (if that's even a possibility).

The person who sold the alcohol to underage persons, or the person in which gave it to them.

Everyone is at fault. Who should pay the price??? Question of the day.

I think if investigation finds that the friends were also drunk then they should be penalized... at a minimum for underage drinking and driving while intoxicated.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Do you mean people are saying that her friends should be criminally responsible? I don't agree with that ... I mean yeah, it makes them kind of shitty friends maybe, but I don't think dropping someone off and not watching them go inside is a crime. The underage drinking, yeah, and I wonder who was driving to drop them off, but they were ALL underage drinking including the girl who passed out on the porch so that's kind of on all of them.

I'm kind of confused by this part too:
    Two of Lommel's roommates returned home a few hours later without noticing that the girl was not there. Neither reported hearing knocks on the door.

The house stood empty that night since its occupants, members of UMD women's basketball team, were out on the road.
    It sounds like they're saying in one sentence that two of her roommates came home AFTER she got dropped off and didn't see her, but then in the second sentence it makes it sound like nobody was home. But it's two different addresses in the story, so she lived at 810, roommates came home and didn't see her, she ends up on the porch at 808 where nobody was home that night?
  4. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    My first reaction was, Oh my God. That's seriously awful.

I agree that those are shitty friends. Sometimes when I think of the stupid shit I did at that age, I truly shutter. I have been so lucky over the years. My mom has always told me she really believes I have a gaurdian Angel watching over me after some of my close calls.
  5. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Tough lesson to learn.

When I was living in Minnesota, in the winter, we had a friend come to our house because he was drunk. But our lights were out and he didn't want to wake us by knocking so he laid down in the yard and went to sleep. Nothing physically happened to him but he did get arrested for public intoxication. Sad thing is though, we never locked our doors so he could have come in!!
  6. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Do you mean people are saying that her friends should be criminally responsible? I don't agree with that ... I mean yeah, it makes them kind of shitty friends maybe, but I don't think dropping someone off and not watching them go inside is a crime. The underage drinking, yeah, and I wonder who was driving to drop them off, but they were ALL underage drinking including the girl who passed out on the porch so that's kind of on all of them.

I'm kind of confused by this part too:

It sounds like they're saying in one sentence that two of her roommates came home AFTER she got dropped off and didn't see her, but then in the second sentence it makes it sound like nobody was home. But it's two different addresses in the story, so she lived at 810, roommates came home and didn't see her, she ends up on the porch at 808 where nobody was home that night?
    She was found on her neighbors porch. The people who lived in the house were on the road.

I think everyone was very irresponsible in this situation. I hope they all learn from it.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think the only criminal act was providing alcohol to minor. Whoever did that is responsible for that alone, IMO.

Other than that, I think blame is irrelevant and what followed is a sad and heartbreaking consequence of making mistakes that could have easily been more tragic. All of the young people will have burdens to bear their entire life because of their mistakes that night but I don't think any of them deserve punishment through the legal system for the events.
  8. Moderator

What a stupid way to potentially ruin your life. That said... I made a LOT of reckless and terrifying choices when I was underage- I just got lucky that none of them killed or maimed me. There were instances where good friends saved me, but I don't know that I could blame them if they hadn't. My stupid choices were mine. I feel for her. It's really sad. Our culture of over-indulgence and under-accountability helps create some really awful situations.
  9. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I think the only criminal act was providing alcohol to minor. Whoever did that is responsible for that alone, IMO.

Other than that, I think blame is irrelevant and what followed is a sad and heartbreaking consequence of making mistakes that could have easily been more tragic. All of the young people will have burdens to bear their entire life because of their mistakes that night but I don't think any of them deserve punishment through the legal system for the events.
    I didn't even think about the person who supplied the alcohol.

with all of this though!

10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

It's just very unfortunate. If I were her I'd blame myself. If I were one of her friends I'd blame myself. One stupid night just changed her life forever and I honestly can't say I've never been that stupid because I have.

On one hand, I wish we as a society didn't glamorize college drinking so much. On the other, we have a responsibility to figure this stuff out for ourselves, hopefully before something like this happens. All I know is, in the short few years I was away at school I became aware of a lot of really ugly realities. A kid got shot by police after attempting to break into a home he thought was his own (obviously drunk), car wrecks, numerous rapes, hospitalization for alcohol poisoning. It's no joke. Very very unfortunate.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast