Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Paul Walker article (TW: Statutory Rape)

1. The Dude Abides
    The Dude Abides

Controversial Paul Walker article (TW: Statutory Rape)

Advertisements
    What do you think about this article? I never knew this (or really that much at all) about Paul Walker, kinda casts him in a different light. Apparently the author of the article is getting some backlash for criticizing Walker so soon after his death. I put this in debates just in case it gets heated either way.

How Paul Walker Relates To My Experience Of Statutory Rape

UPDATE: For those of you suggesting that I’m wrong and Paul’s behavior with Jasmine was okay because it was a one-time thing, meet Aubrianna Atwell, an ex-girlfriend of Paul’s with whom he began a relationship when he was twenty-eight and she was…yup, sixteen.

I’ve been getting a lot of heat from commenters lately who are upset that I pointed out the widely-reported seventeen year age difference between Paul Walker and his longtime girlfriend Jasmine Pilchard-Gosnell. His death was undeniably tragic, and no one is bringing that into question, but in reading posts about the loved ones who survived him, I was coming across some disturbing information. I kept seeing Jasmine’s age listed as twenty-three right next to information that said they’d been dating for seven years. Given that Paul was forty at the time of his death, that meant that when they started dating, Paul was thirty-three and Jasmine was…sixteen.

I thought that was a thing we could all agree on as unacceptable, given that Paul was a parent by the time Jasmine was eight years old and started dating her when she was still a sophomore in high school, but some readers of our readers disagree. Particularly in light of Paul’s sudden and tragic death in a car accident this past weekend, they aren’t ready to hear anything about him that isn’t a glowing review of his admirable accomplishments. And understandably so. In the days after someone dies, especially someone famous, the last thing people want to be reminded of is not only the fact that he was a human being who makes mistakes, but that they never knew him at all.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Oh for crying out loud. Yeah, if she was 16 and he was 33, that would be considered statutory rape and it's wrong, but come on...the guy just died. Why does this have to be brought up and talked about now? What good does it do? Just let him rest in peace and let his family mourn without his named being smeared all over the news over this now.
  3. Senior Member
    I don't know if the time of his death is the time to bring up all his wrong doings. Just my personal opinion.
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I didn't know that either, and I think it's interesting and disturbing both.

The idea of how we react to people after they die is interesting. I was re-reading the Ender's Game series because the movie came out, and it makes me think of this thing from the book where people would be Speakers for the dead. Basically their job was to tell a person's story when they died. But it wasn't exactly a eulogy because it wasn't sanitized feel good type of stuff. The Speaker would include everything, good and bad, warts and all - the person's true story. I know that's not exactly acceptable in our society but it's a different way of looking at the mourning process.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagan View Post
    Oh for crying out loud. Yeah, if she was 16 and he was 33, that would be considered statutory rape and it's wrong, but come on...the guy just died. Why does this have to be brought up and talked about now? What good does it do? Just let him rest in peace and let his family mourn without his named being smeared all over the news over this now.
    Because if she doesn't bring it up right after his death, HOW will she get hits on her article??

I get uncomfortable when there's that large of an age gap and one party is still a teenager. But come on, it's so obvious what the author is trying to do. I find that way grosser than him dating a sixteen year old. Especially considering they were together for seven years, it's not like he was hanging out outside high schools banging underage girls in his car. It was a legit relationship.
  6. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Why does she have to put her former relationship onto his? I mean just because the guy she dated that was older took advantage of her doesn't mean that it's the same with Paul and his girlfriend. The age difference is enough to cause a raised eyebrow but obviously it wasn't an issue before he passed as it never made news then This chick is searching for pats on the back consoling her and her 15 minutes of fame by hijacking headlines about a man's death. That's more disturbing than the relationship that she's speaking about.

7. Senior Member
    I always find the "don't speak ill of the dead" thing a bit odd. Just because an asshole dies doesn't mean he stops being an asshole. And if I'd say when he's alive that he's an asshole, I will continue to think (and say) that when he's dead. (I have no opinion on whether PW was an asshole. That is just an example.)

And this guy is being trotted out and mourned like a friggin saint. I don't really see anything wrong with saying, "Wait a minute. That guy you are crying over in the streets and posting ridiculous FB status about was a statutory rapist, not a saint."

I think trotting it out just to throw it in the face of mourning loved ones is tacky. But bringing it up when he's being treated like a friggin saint whose loss will tarnish all humanity is kind of relevant. When you live publicly and open yourself up to public opinion, you die publicly as well.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Moderator

Dating isn't the same as statutory rape. Until she confirms they had sex while she was underage, I won't make that assumption. I know zero about him... I've never even seen a Fast and Furious movie. All I know is that he's dead now and people close to him speak highly of him. I think it's in poor taste to point fingers without all the info.
  9. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I always find the "don't speak ill of the dead" thing a bit odd. Just because an asshole dies doesn't mean he stops being an asshole. And if I'd say when he's alive that he's an asshole, I will continue to think (and say) that when he's dead. (I have no opinion on whether PW was an asshole. That is just an example.)

And this guy is being trotted out and mourned like a friggin saint. I don't really see anything wrong with saying, "Wait a minute. That guy you are crying over in the streets and posting ridiculous FB status about was a statutory rapist, not a saint."

I think trotting it out just to throw it in the face of mourning loved ones is tacky. But bringing it up when he's being treated like a friggin saint whose loss will tarnish all humanity is kind of relevant. When you live publicly and open yourself up to public opinion, you die publicly as well.
    I don't know that it's about speaking ill of the dead but it's not really proper timing to do anything other than put a spotlight on her, it wasn't an issue in his life and it's been going on publicly for 7 years. Why bring it up now with such venom?

10. Senior Member
    Eh, maybe I'm the odd man out (and I admit to only skimming the article) but I don't see the big deal. I also don't subscribe to the notion that we must only say nice things about someone once they die. Paul Walker's death was tragic, but the author of the article using his death to discuss an issue that she finds important and disturbing isn't something I find inappropriate. Frankly, a forty year old man with considerable power and influence dating a 16 year old IS rather disturbing, in my opinion. He also clearly has a habit of dating younger than 18 year old girls, and I don't see why discussing that is wrong, just because he died unexpectedly. As long as she isn't totally trashing him, I don't see the issue.
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast