Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandy Hook/Newtown 911 Tapes Released

Banned

Sandy Hook/Newtown 911 Tapes Released

Advertisements
    So the Associated Press sued to get the 911 tapes from that day released to the public. The families in Newtown fought them in course begging to not have these tapes released. There are transcripts of the phone calls you can read. I don't understand anyone who would want to willingly listen to that.

I have a friend whose dad is a Ct stat trooper, he was there that day and chose not to go in the school. He's so thankful he made that decision, there are CT police officers who haven't returned to work because they're so traumatized by what they saw that day.

I honestly think anyone who needs to hear these tapes is just a sick individual.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think that sometimes, they get the tapes just because it is something that they are allowed to do. I feel the some in the press are of the opinion that if they don't, and don't fight when someone tells them no, the day will come when they will lose the fight.
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I don't want to listen to the tapes and I don't plan on doing so, but I don't have an issue with them being released either.
  4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    People process differently than you, and thats ok. After 9/11 I obsessed over everything- videos, tapes, news, history, just all of it for weeks after and up to like a year after- it was a way to deal with the death of people I knew and process why my life was turned upside down. People process and deal with and manage in different ways. If its released and not a soul listens, who cares. If they are released and people listen, who cares.
  5. By the power of Greyskull...
    By the power of Greyskull...
    I have no desire to listen to those tapes. I agree with whoever said that the media releases it just because they can.
    Banned
    I understand what you're saying but I just don't agree, the parents asked it not be released so they don't have to hear it on the news or the radio. There are written trasncripts if you need to know what was said. I don't think anyone needs to hear a teacher pleading with 911 while gunfire goes off in the background.

ETA: I know at least NBC has said they will not air them and I applaud that.
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Just to clarify my post too, I don't think anyone who wants to listen to them is sick or anything. There are a ton of reasons people might want to hear them ...
  8. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

After having to subpoena and listen to 911 recordings as part of my job, I have so much respect for 911 operators. I have no idea how they do it day after day or night after night. God bless them.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I can understand why some of the families would be upset and I don't really have any desire to listen to them but I don't see the problem with them being released. I also don't think people who want to listen to them are sick. I watch the show Snapped on Oxygen that details women who have been charged with murder. They play 911 tapes in that all the time. Does that make me sick? I know Sandy Hook was a horrendous event but I don't think there's anything wrong with people being curious about it.

Aren't the release of these tapes for any sort of crime pretty common though?

ETA: I fully understand that the tapes may upset some families, while it may help others. However, can't the same be said about the news coverage of the tragedy itself? They replayed time and time again shots of children fleeing the school. I am sure that was traumatic for some parents. I really am not trying to be heartless but I don't think there is any right or wrong in this.
  10. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Be-Bo View Post
    I understand what you're saying but I just don't agree, the parents asked it not be released so they don't have to hear it on the news or the radio. There are written trasncripts if you need to know what was said. I don't think anyone needs to hear a teacher pleading with 911 while gunfire goes off in the background.

ETA: I know at least NBC has said they will not air them and I applaud that.
    Reading a transcript is very different than listening. It just is different for people, and why does it bother you if some people want to listen to it. Parents dont have to listen, and I know they will probably actively avoid it, and thats absolutely ok and justified to ignore it. There have been so many other tragedies that have occurred in this world where tapes are released, why not this one?
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast