Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minimum Wage vs Salary (sort of a S/O)

1. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"

Minimum Wage vs Salary (sort of a S/O)

Advertisements
    I was reading this article:
    Opinion: $7.25 an hour is not a living wage - CNN.com

And a couple things in there peaked my interest. Now, I am not economic savvy so please educate me as see fit.

The thing that caught my eye was how minimum wage, if it were to increase like wealthiest 1% has increased, would be $28 per hour. This seems outrageous to me. $28 is more than a lot of entry level (skilled and somewhat educated) help desk employees make.

In addition to that $28, it was said, had minimum wage increased with inflation like it was supposed to, it would be upwards of $18.67 per hour or something like that. Again, this seems outlandish to me.

What has me 'bothered' is, while they are saying the wealthiest 1% got raises, and minimum wage should be X.. they mention nothing of everyone in between? A large portion of workers have had their salaries slashed, and haven't had a raise in years. I don't think its right that a regular joe schmo min wage employee ends up making more than a well-educated, degreed salaried employee.

The starting salary for many careers has tanked A LOT since 2009 (last time min wage increased). This isn't only due to economic downfall, but it has played a huge role. So, how is it that the govt (or powers that be - whomever they are) can say that minimum wage should be increased, but don't state that salaried employees should be as well.

Thoughts?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  2. sassypants
    sassypants
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    I was reading this article:
    Opinion: $7.25 an hour is not a living wage - CNN.com

And a couple things in there peaked my interest. Now, I am not economic savvy so please educate me as see fit.

The thing that caught my eye was how minimum wage, if it were to increase like wealthiest 1% has increased, would be $28 per hour. This seems outrageous to me. $28 is more than a lot of entry level (skilled and somewhat educated) help desk employees make.

In addition to that $28, it was said, had minimum wage increased with inflation like it was supposed to, it would be upwards of $18.67 per hour or something like that. Again, this seems outlandish to me.

What has me 'bothered' is, while they are saying the wealthiest 1% got raises, and minimum wage should be X.. they mention nothing of everyone in between? A large portion of workers have had their salaries slashed, and haven't had a raise in years. I don't think its right that a regular joe schmo min wage employee ends up making more than a well-educated, degreed salaried employee.

The starting salary for many careers has tanked A LOT since 2009 (last time min wage increased). This isn't only due to economic downfall, but it has played a huge role. So, how is it that the govt (or powers that be - whomever they are) can say that minimum wage should be increased, but don't state that salaried employees should be as well.

Thoughts?
    I think there was a mention

All the wage increases over the past 15 years have gone to the wealthiest 10%, according to the Economic Policy Institute. All of them. And almost all, 95%, of the income gains from 2009 to 2012, the first three years of recovery from the Great Recession, went to the very richest 1%.

ALthough I feel the article is more about the bottom and the top, that data is relivant to the middle too, where you have mentioned, wages cuts and the like
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Right, I saw that.. that's where they mentioned the wealthiest have gotten all the raises.

As I mentioned, what bothers me is they are wanting the minimum wage to increase, potentially but upwards of $18/$19 per hour, but they make no mention of or no consideration for the other huge portion of workers.. which is the middle... not the middle class per se.. the middle between the wealthiest and the minimum wage worker.

I just don't see how they can justify increasing min wage to $18 per hour, when someone who has a degree in a 'career' got their salary slashed to $20-$25/hr with no raise in 5 years ... how is that equal or fair? If this goes into effect (or whatever) there will be almost zero incentive for anyone to further their education. If they can just go down the street and work for $18-$19 per hour minimum wage, what's the point of an education?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Perspective:

I'm a lawyer and I work for the state. I make $25 an hour, once you calculate it from my salary. Our county-paid attorneys make $20/hour. I had to graduate from college and law school and take a bar exam... And pay for all of that.

My clients work fast food. There should be a pay difference.

I think increasing minimum wage will cause inflation.
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by ofnyandrome View Post
    Perspective:

I'm a lawyer and I work for the state. I make $25 an hour, once you calculate it from my salary. Our county-paid attorneys make $20/hour. I had to graduate from college and law school and take a bar exam... And pay for all of that.

well that's a perspective...

I agree, there should be a gap (a significant one at that) between a non-educated/unskilled worker and one with a degree/career.

With your example, the min wage worker could essentially make more than you either right off the bat (if we take the $28/hr rate) or in just a few years using the $18/hr rate. While you likely, would not get any sort of raise.

That is disturbing and backwards.

6. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    well that's a perspective...

I agree, there should be a gap (a significant one at that) between a non-educated/unskilled worker and one with a degree/career.

With your example, the min wage worker could essentially make more than you either right off the bat (if we take the $28/hr rate) or in just a few years using the $18/hr rate. While you likely, would not get any sort of raise.

That is disturbing and backwards.
    Yes, but all the places that pay minimum wage will have to charge 3-4 times more for their products to stay in business, which will cause crazy inflation. No one will pay $24 for one McDonalds meal, as the dollar is currently valued. McDonalds would have to charge that if minimum wage increased that high... so everything would rise across the board. There would still be a gap, but the economy would be in even more trouble.
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I remember back in the day I was making $3.65 per hour minimum wage, and my 'raise' is when the min wage increased to $4.25..

I was ecstatic when I landed a job paying $10 an hour...

I don't know enough about inflation to know if the numbers provided in the article are accurate. I mean, $18/hr due to inflation seems awfully high, considering the salaries of many educated/degreed workers is barely more than that.

I think its a pipe dream. I think if they decide that minimum wage should increase due to inflation, then I think the salaries should as well.

I would almost say that if they do increase these minmum wages, then corporation will have less jobs available for the unskilled/uneducated worker. That in order to justify paying that much they will require the worker have some sort of education or skills.

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by ofnyandrome View Post
    Perspective:

completely agree with this. i have a graduate degree and after doing the math from my salary i make about $44 an hour and i started out 4.5 years ago making less than $24...i see no reason why someone with no education who hasnt taken the initiative to better themselves, or is in the process of doing so, deserves half what i make or more to flip burgers (which honestly a machine could easily do).
    Banned
    No one is saying these people deserve more money than professional careers, they're just highlighting what you need to make an hour to live, hence a "living wage".
  10. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Be-Bo View Post
    No one is saying these people deserve more money than professional careers, they're just highlighting what you need to make an hour to live, hence a "living wage".
    I believe in a living wage....for jobs that people should be living off of. If you can get a job at 13, that job should probably not be the one, and IMO, shouldnt be a job where a living wage is implemented. 13 year olds dont need to be making 15-20k a year for a part-time after school job, but if a living wage is implemented everywhere, then thats what they will be makings. Seems a bit idealistic and not realistic.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast