Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DOD to cut funding to AHRN

1. Banned
    Banned

DOD to cut funding to AHRN

Advertisements
    Another cut, another loss. The Site owners want to try to keep it up and running but to do that they will either have to charge, or allow advertising.

I am curious what the DOD was paying for the site.

DoD ends funding for online housing referral network | Military Times | militarytimes.com
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I have no problem with this either. For decades people managed to find reputable and good off-base housing without ahrn.com.. tbh, I never even heard of it until I joined this site.

I agree to charging members.. if they want to use it to find a home, pay for it, or ahrn can 'eat' the cost. I do not feel this is something the DoD should have to pay for.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. The Dude Abides
    The Dude Abides
    They should either charge members or let advertisers place ads on the site. That's how 98% of the internet sustains itself anyways.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    I totally agree. in 12 years I have never used the site. with the availability of other online sites and actual MLS sites that are now publicly accessable there is no need for the military to pay for such a site.
  5. Senior Member

I've looked at AHRN, but never really found housing through it. But its a nice resource to have.

I agree with charging for use of the site, or maybe charging for a "premium" account with extra features.

6. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I don't see what would be so bad about allowing advertising on the site. If it comes to either taking the site down or that, who cares about ads? I feel like most people use Ad Block anyway.

Either way I would much rather see ads on a site than pay to use it.
  7. Senior Member
    I used it to find both the houses we've rented in this area. I don't see the problem with ads, but I definitely wouldn't have used it if I had to pay. It just made it easier to find something without going back and forth between all the rental companies' sites. With Trulia and Zillow now I don't think we'd need to use it anymore.
  8. Senior Member
    I'm all for having ads on the site! I used AHRN when we PCS'd here from Florida and it came in very handy, however I agree with previous posters about military families being able to find reputable housing through other sources.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I don't mind if they added advertising to help pay - I do have a problem with them idea of allowing landlords/Property managers to pay to list.

The think I like about AHRN is that it is a good tool (for the bases that seem to use it) to determine if properties that are available have been vetted through the housing office. I would question the reliability if the landlord/PM was paying for listings.

I have never found the site to be helpful when PCSing. I don't feel the bases that we PCSed to once it became available and I knew about it seemed to use it properly and kept listings in the area update.

I found realtor, zillow and trulia to be more helpful and a quick call to the base hosing office got me information about the property/LL/PM.

I don't use it, so I'm not sure I can speak to its value to others, but it seems to me to be redundant. Realtors and MLS listings in the civilian sector seem to do the job more effectively, in my experience.
  10. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Yeah, I'm all for anyway of paying for that site, as long as it doesn't involve govt money. Doesn't matter if its ads, company paid, or user paid...

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast