Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The great gender divide

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

The great gender divide

Advertisements

Agree or disagree? Personally, I whole-heartedly agree. We get Aubs boys flannels and rugged pants (much better than the "girly" clothes for hiking) and a lot of either gender-neutral or traditionally male toys. Aubs loves trains, planes, ball pits, and animals. She'd rather not play with dolls and princess crowns and I'm okay with that
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

2. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    toys i don't care. she can play with whatever she wants. clothes? i buy her clothes in the girls/shoes section. yes. if i had a boy i wouldn't buy him pink sparkly shoes either.

3. Senior Member

Agreed. Which is why I love that this company is trying to break that stereotype.

If 3 Little Girls Did This To My House, I'd Do Everything I Could To Get Them Full Rides To Stanford

4. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

My girls play with boy toys & Jackson plays with girl toys and we don't mind at all! We don't buy them boy clothes though and we don't buy Jackson girl clothes either. My girls are very rounded, I'd like to think! They put on their princess dresses and play with trains/cars while doing so and I have caught Jackson a time or 2 wearing a tutu
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HazeGray View Post
    Agreed. Which is why I love that this company is trying to break that stereotype.

If 3 Little Girls Did This To My House, I'd Do Everything I Could To Get Them Full Rides To Stanford
    I shared this on FB yesterday. Everything about this is spot on.
  6. Senior Member
    I also wanted to say my MIL has the same philosophy. She let DH pick out whatever lunch box he wanted when he started school. He was super insistent that he get the bright pink one His dad was pissed.
  7. Senior Member
    I wouldn't care what my kids played with. I spent a lot of time with my male cousin when we were little and we both played with each other's toys all the time. I'd have no problem buying my daughter matchbox cars or whatever or letting my son play with a doll.

I wouldn't dress my kid in clothes for the opposite gender though unless it was something like you said, that certain boys items are better for certain activities. But I'm not going to regularly dress my daughter in shirts with footballs on them or my son in pink sandals.
  8. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I love that graphic. I also love GoldieBlox! My kids will be some brand of nerd or another no matter what gender they are, it's in their DNA , and I don't think you have to be a boy to be a computer programmer or an engineer anymore than you have to be a girl to be a chef or a stay-at-home parent. I am sick of those stereotypes and will discourage them just like I discourage stereotypes about race, sexual orientation, nationality, disability, religion, etc. We are equal opportunity geeks around here.
  9. Vandelay Industries
    Vandelay Industries
    Quote Originally Posted by HazeGray View Post

Omg I love that! Even now, in two of my computer technology classes, I'm the only girl out of 32 people in each. We need more girls! And I agree with the OP.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I buy them whatever interests them. I also let them pick out their own clothing at the store (as long as it's appropriate) since my 2 year old likes characters that aren't "girly" (I.E loves diego but doesn't really like dora) she ends up getting a bit of stuff from the boys section
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast