Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Love

1. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?

Strange Love

Advertisements
    This sparked a big debate in a group I'm in on FB. Thought it would make for an interesting discussion.

Husband, wife and lover all live together - Mirror Online

I'm a supporter of ethical non-monogamy/polyamory. I have friends and acquaintances that are polyamorous. I place no negative value judgments on the types of relationships formed by consenting adults. My only issue with this situation is the deceit at the base of it. However, it appears all three parties worked through it and are satisfied and fulfilled in their relationship. Their arrangement is not too uncommon within the polyamorous community. It's often termed "poly household," but more often than not it's the man who has more than one partner, rather than the woman (polyandry). While it is viewed as "strange" in modern, Western, society, it is actually an ancient and biological practice.

Someone also shared this:

Not Monogamous? Not a Problem: A Quantitative Analysis of the Prevalence of Polyamory | Nicole Atkins - Academia.edu
    Pax, Aeon
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
    This sparked a big debate in a group I'm in on FB. Thought it would make for an interesting discussion.

Husband, wife and lover all live together - Mirror Online

I'm a supporter of ethical non-monogamy/polyamory. I have friends and acquaintances that are polyamorous. I place no negative value judgments on the types of relationships formed by consenting adults. My only issue with this situation is the deceit at the base of it. However, it appears all three parties worked through it and are satisfied and fulfilled in their relationship. Their arrangement is not too uncommon within the polyamorous community. It's often termed "poly household," but more often than not it's the man who has more than one partner, rather than the woman (polyandry). While it is viewed as "strange" in modern, Western, society, it is actually an ancient and biological practice.

Someone also shared this:

Not Monogamous? Not a Problem: A Quantitative Analysis of the Prevalence of Polyamory | Nicole Atkins - Academia.edu
    I completely agree with you. I have no problem with consensual polyamory. I actually think there's something really appealing about a "sister wives" family.
  3. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I am completely fascinated with this! The whole family dynamic and intimate dynamic is just so interesting to me. There was a show on Showtime, I think, that featured a few different polyamorous families and I was so sad when it was cancelled because it's rare to see real people like that instead of just a story played out in a sitcom or drama. Adam and I have theorized about if we could handle something like that in our own relationship and decided it's not for us, but we don't find anything wrong with people who do want to. I can definitely see how it would add a lot more complications though. I am lazy, I like things simple.
  4. Senior Member
    I have no issue with it as long as all parties are able to give consent. It's not at all for me but I don't know who decided people are supposed to be monogamous anyway.
  5. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I have no issue with it as long as all parties are able to give consent. It's not at all for me but I don't know who decided people are supposed to be monogamous anyway.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    It seems like it would be really helpful for raising kids! Imagine if someone was always home so you didn't have to pay for daycare! I don't think DH & I would be interested in it but I'm sure it works great for other people.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  7. Senior Member
    The affairs are unnecessary, was thinking maybe if the wife talked about the interest of having her lover live in the same roof (whilst telling her husband that he is important in her life too), it would have probably saved a lot of hurt. Not sure how Peter's marriage ended (maybe it was Maria, who knows), there's not much background about if he has spoken about this to his wife, but anyway.

Its great that they now have supporting, loving family, may be strange to others, but it looks like they can't be anymore happier about this arrangement ^^ its awesome to see different families work together.
    Reminds me of the tv show Sister Wives, was really interesting. They were, really, a team.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    I've always been kind of fascinated with this. Would I ever do it? No. I don't judge people or look down on people who do though. Doesn't affect me in any way, so why would I?
  9. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    It is a social construct largely based on moralism. There are pros and cons to both relationship types. I have some friends in really loving, committed polyamorous relationships. It's actually more common than many realize, and can be found in all sorts of demographics and areas. It is more prevalent in more progressive, culturally diverse cities like Portland, OR; Seattle, WA; WA, D.C., and Atlanta, GA (very big poly or "alternative" scene).

I had an open or "poly" marriage, and realized it isn't for me. I have and can love more than one individual at a time; however, I can't actually be in more than one relationship at a time. Where being "open" or polyamorous fails is when the two original parties did not fully think things through and were not ready for it or not truly wired for it. Some individuals are hard wired for it and others like to explore or experiment and jump right into it.

I was briefly involved with a polyamorous couple. I was very hesitant because I've been there and done that and wasn't sure about going down that road. I attempted giving it a shot and it didn't end well. The wife had a boyfriend, but when her husband found someone he was really into shit hit the fan and things got crazy. She broached the topic of opening the marriage. She wanted to "find herself" (this is common). They previously dated another polyamorous couple as well. So much needs to be factored before making a life-changing decision.

I've seen it work for others, and it's great when it does. I know that I have desires that are "traditional" that being polyamorous would not allow for, and I am better suited for monogamy.
    Pax, Aeon
  10. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I will say that my relationship with my exDB dissolved very quickly because he wanted to be poly. He was into one of my best friends and assumed that because she and I were bffs, we'd be fine in a poly relationship. He lives in San Francisco now and has 2 very serious girlfriends plus some booty calls
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast