Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: Do you Trust the police?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

10 14.49%
  • I trust the institution, but not individual officers

14 20.29%
  • I trust individual officers, but not the institution

15 21.74%
  • I trust the police

27 39.13%
  • I don't know, but that uniform sure is sexy!

3 4.35%
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you trust the police?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Do you trust the police?

Advertisements
    Poll incoming.

So do you trust the Police? Why or why not? Does it matter if they're City police or state police (i.e. Chicago PD v. State of Illinois Police)?
  2. Senior Member

In general, yes.
    I worked for two police departments (in a variety of positions from volunteer in the station, to 911 operator, to police officer) from the time I was 16 until I joined the navy at 24.

Like any organization, from mall Santa to the military, there will be bad people in that job, and people who are in it for the wrong reason. But the officers I worked with we're great people, and still are some of my closest friends.

They do a tough job and don't get nearly the thanks or recognition they deserve.

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I'd say yes. I've never really been giving a reason not to
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I'm not really sure how to answer that ... I guess maybe the answer would be no? Like if I was ever asked if police could search my car or my house or ask me some questions, I'd be telling them no unless they have a warrant and if they persisted I'd say they need to talk to my lawyer. I don't think they always have my best interests in mind (and honestly they shouldn't because that's not really their job). I don't think they're out to get more or anything but I think I need to be the one protecting myself and not just rely on them.

State vs. local doesn't really matter to me.
  5. Senior Member
    I guess it depends on what the situation is, but I think cops are just like any other employees: There are some who will do the right thing, and there are some who won't. I don't trust them to be unbiased when pulling over speeders, or when it's the end of the month and they're trying to meet their quota. I actually went on a few dates with a cop a few months ago, and he told me that his team rarely pulls over people for suspected DUIs, because it's just too much of a hassle. So I think overall, the police are good to have, but they don't always put the public's best interest first.
    Camster is the best wifey ever
  6. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    I know a ton of cops from back home... some really great ones, and some not really great ones. Here in TX, I work closely with LE for one of my positions. Some of the cops are awesome, and just like back home, we have some not-so-great ones as well.

I hear stories from around the country and I think that just like anything else, when order, discipline and personal convictions breakdown-- bad things happen.
    I also feel that cops are supposed to protect the good of society, not necessarily the individual.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    There are plenty of individual officers whom I trust. There are plenty I do not. The institution in general - my trust is situational. As a whole, I would fall more on the "no" side than the "yes".
  8. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Generally speaking, yes I suppose, but I don't trust anyone implicitly just because of the uniform they put on for work. All of my interactions with the police have been positive so far, luckily.
  9. Free!
    Free!
    It depends on the situation like when I was working for the Indians they'd always have police working with us. They never really had to do anything and were always really nice so I had no issues.

Generally I get really nervous around them. I'm not sure why though but I like to avoid dealing with them as much as possible.
  10. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Every police officer I have dealt with was fair. I have no reason not to trust them There is always going to be a bad seed somewhere.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast