Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant woman on raw diet

1. Senior Member

Pregnant woman on raw diet

Advertisements
    Pregnant Woman on Raw-Fruit Diet Causes Controversy: Is She Bananas?

Can a pregnant woman be healthy on a raw-vegan diet? It’s a question being beaten to a fine pulp following a recent interview with Australian designer Loni Jane Anthony, an expectant mother, who discusses her adherence to such a diet—including her tendency to consume 10 bananas for breakfast and six mangoes for lunch. The strict eating regimen has made Anthony, also a photographer with more than 103,000 Instagram fans, the subject of public scorn, with some deriding her for endangering both herself and her baby.

“You kind of realize who your friends are,” she tells News.com.au in the Tuesday interview, referring to the frequent eye rolls she gets over the fact that she follows the “80/10/10,” a raw fruit and veggie diet providing 80 percent carbs, 10 percent fat and 10 percent protein. “I've had a lot of judgment from people thinking I'm nuts and saying ‘Why is Loni eating 10 bananas for breakfast? Is she crazy?’ People tend to shut you out because you're not in the social circle of alcohol or drinking coffee...They're in their comfort zones of eating junk and they don't want to be around someone who makes them feel guilty."

A typical daily menu for Anthony, she says, might include a few “mono meals,” meaning one type of fruit, like oranges or bananas or watermelon; a smoothie; and for dinner, a large salad with tahini dressing—plus plenty of warm water with lemon.

She says she switched to the diet, created by longtime athlete and trainer Douglas Graham, after a lifestyle of heavy drinking and lots of junk food that led to a battery of health problems. “I started getting skin infections, acne and putting on weight, which was weird because I'd always been so slim,” she says. “I wanted to sleep all the time and ended up with a whole range of health problems including candida overgrowth, hormone imbalance, irregular periods and hair loss. I also got really sick on a trip (read: fully-blown bender) to Thailand and picked up parasites and dengue fever.”

After a series of antibiotics made her sicker, Anthony says she came across Graham’s diet book, which taught her that “you can live and thrive on this lifestyle by just eating higher carbohydrate vegetables, fruits and juices, and keeping your diet low fat. You even keep good fats low to keep your blood sugar stable. It's been amazing.”

Graham did not return a call seeking comment from Shine. But according to information on his website, “There is no essential nutrient in meat, grains, legumes, or dairy that is not also available in fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds, and in a form that is easier to digest.” Cooking them, he adds, destroys nutrients and can lead to various health issues. Regarding concerns about protein, he notes that most people have been misinformed about how much the body needs, and that “most people suffer from an overdose of protein each day, and this accounts for a great deal of ill health, such as constipation, leading to toxemia and eventually, cancer.”

Naysayers, though, have been vocal and numerous. A slew of negatives in the story’s comments section include, “narcissist in the extreme,” “part ape,” “too much sugar,” “self-absorbed moron,” “irresponsible,” “bad advice,” “hope she’s taking supplements,” “needs more protein” and “I can’t see much there to help your baby grow.”

The concern of various bloggers has also been piqued. “I feel uncomfortable with Loni’s ‘transformation’ because it doesn’t sound safe for her baby,” writes Ami Angelowicz in the Frisky. “I’m not a doctor, of course, but common sense and the little knowledge I have about nutrition tells me that you have to consume more than bananas and mangoes each day when you’re eating for two.”

Prenatal nutritionists seem to agree. “Nothing can replace a balanced diet for a healthy pregnancy,” Bridget Swinney, author of “Eating Expectantly: The Practical and Tasty Guide to Prenatal Nutrition,” tells Yahoo Shine, who finds the details of Anthony’s diet “concerning.”

She adds, “Any kind of extreme diet during pregnancy raises a lot of red flags for me. First, you really need protein to build a baby, and it should be around 20 percent of your diet.” Further, women eating for two need to consume zinc for brain development, omega-3 fats from fish for brain and eye development, and calcium (which can be had from vegetables, she notes), to flush lead and other dangerous toxins that tend to get stored in bones," Swinney explains.

She adds, “Not to say this diet isn’t possible—there are plenty of women who are vegan through pregnancy—but she takes it to an extreme that’s kind of scary.” She also worries about women who are prone to gestational diabetes mimicking Anthony’s eating habits, for which low servings of carbohydrates are recommended.

Prenatal nutritionist and spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Melinda Johnson agrees. “I would consider this an extreme way of eating, and this always makes me nervous with young women, particularly when they are pregnant, she tells Yahoo Shine in an email. “Also, research has demonstrated that restrictive eating plans tend to lead to disordered eating, poor body image, poor self esteem, and even to full-blown eating disorders.”

Still, others defend Anthony.

“The hate is mostly due to the fact that she’s pregnant while trying to stay healthy,” notes blogger Every Joe. “According to other jealous women, she’s putting her unborn child at risk by not eating a more well-rounded diet. That, ladies and gentlemen, is terrible logic. …If my seed is implanted in a uterus, I’d much rather the host chick feed the parasite with a fruit diet than one that consists of McDonald’s, Burger King and Taco Bell.”

And plenty of supporters also speak up in the story’s comments section. “This is an extremely healthy diet. I have been doing this for just under 12 months and love it!” wrote one woman. Others have told “haters” to back off, noting the lifestyle “obviously works for her,” and declaring “good on her” and “excellent work, Loni.”
    I can't imagine eating almost nothing but fruit. I wonder if she takes any vitamins or supplements with her diet. I find it interesting all the different diets that can be healthy for us. I follow a keto diet which is the exact opposite of her 80/10/10. I eat very few carbs and load up on protein and healthy fats.

Do you think this kind of diet is healthy for a pregnant woman and her unborn child(ren)?
  2. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I hope that she is listening to a doctor as far as what she needs to be doing to supplement that for her unborn child. I hope she is taking prenatals and having her blood checked regularly for any issues. Beyond that, it's her body, her choice. I wouldn't do it, but I am not her. I don't know that this is more healthy than any other diet, I don't know much about it and my gut reaction was to be worried about the lack of protein more than anything else, so I hope that she is at least making sure that her diet isn't adversely effecting her babies development. That is something every pregnant woman should do, though.

I also really hate the automatic comparisons like "I’d much rather the host chick feed the parasite with a fruit diet than one that consists of McDonald’s, Burger King and Taco Bell". It isn't one or the other. How about just eating a well rounded healthy diet? It's isn't all fruit or Burger King and that's it.
  3. Moderator

I was curious about whether she takes supplements as well. But I'm more of the school of thought that one blogger expressed about this being preferable to an exclusive fast-food diet. I know plenty of people who use pregnancy as an excuse to eat junk exclusively, and I feel like they're more likely to be encouraged in that than torn up like this woman. I think what she's doing is too "weird" for a lot of people, and her health and the health of her unborn child should be up to her specific doctor who has access to all of her medical information. Maybe it's not safe and healthy, but I'm in no position to make that call.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinderbelly View Post
    I hope that she is listening to a doctor as far as what she needs to be doing to supplement that for her unborn child. I hope she is taking prenatals and having her blood checked regularly for any issues. Beyond that, it's her body, her choice. I wouldn't do it, but I am not her. I don't know that this is more healthy than any other diet, I don't know much about it and my gut reaction was to be worried about the lack of protein more than anything else, so I hope that she is at least making sure that her diet isn't adversely effecting her babies development. That is something every pregnant woman should do, though.

I also really hate the automatic comparisons like "I’d much rather the host chick feed the parasite with a fruit diet than one that consists of McDonald’s, Burger King and Taco Bell". It isn't one or the other. How about just eating a well rounded healthy diet? It's isn't all fruit or Burger King and that's it.
    I totally agree with this. It's like the person is saying that every other pregnant woman is eating junk when that's not the case at all.

This story kind of reminds me of Phoebe from friends when she was pregnant with her brothers twins and would eat meat because that's what the babies wanted, and how she grappled with it before just stealing Joey's sandwich, haha.
  5. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    I think this diet is pretty concerning to me. Bodies that are developing need a lot of protein, cholesterol, and fat for making nerves. I personally think (IMO) that any diet where you have to supplement artificially is not a diet you should be eating in the first place.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  6. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I was vegan and vegetarian for years and did tons of nutrition research, ran into raw vegan quite a bit. I then got diabetes and even though I am insulin dependent, not diet, I talk to type II diabetics who abide by high protein, high fat, low carb. My personal feelings of what is best (not that I follow it), is that high carbs, high good fat, and lower protein is healthier. But that's just me. I guess I'm saying, I tend towards her side of the debate but she is obviously at an extreme. Many people find raw vegan difficult, and honestly ten bananas sounds low to me. The people I was on forums with were eating 40 bananas in a sitting trying to keep up with calorie needs. But again, especially as a raw vegan, I don't know why you'd be restricting good fats at all.
    In the end, hopefully she's keeping up with a doc and a nutritionist and working with them.
  7. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveOwls View Post
    I totally agree with this. It's like the person is saying that every other pregnant woman is eating junk when that's not the case at all.

This story kind of reminds me of Phoebe from friends when she was pregnant with her brothers twins and would eat meat because that's what the babies wanted, and how she grappled with it before just stealing Joey's sandwich, haha.
    Not every one does, but there are those who do. I agree with Trina about finding a balance, but in this case I honestly think she's getting more crap because her diet is weird and outside-the-box than she would be if she were on a different, more common or "accepted" extreme, if that makes sense. It just always surprises me a little just which choices get jumped on by the blogosphere.
  8. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    I was vegan and vegetarian for years and did tons of nutrition research, ran into raw vegan quite a bit. I then got diabetes and even though I am insulin dependent, not diet, I talk to type II diabetics who abide by high protein, high fat, low carb. My personal feelings of what is best (not that I follow it), is that high carbs, high good fat, and lower protein is healthier. But that's just me. I guess I'm saying, I tend towards her side of the debate but she is obviously at an extreme. Many people find raw vegan difficult, and honestly ten bananas sounds low to me. The people I was on forums with were eating 40 bananas in a sitting trying to keep up with calorie needs. But again, especially as a raw vegan, I don't know why you'd be restricting good fats at all.
    In the end, hopefully she's keeping up with a doc and a nutritionist and working with them.
    How do people do that? Like, how is there ROOM for that much volume of food!? Are they pooping constantly? It seems like you'd have to in order to make room for the next meal.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  9. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    How do people do that? Like, how is there ROOM for that much volume of food!? Are they pooping constantly? It seems like you'd have to in order to make room for the next meal.
    yes, pooping a lot is a frequent topic of conversation. To be honest though, I don't know how raw veganism works, I think for some it does and others not, particularly if I ever tried it I'd be eating nuts and avocados like a mofo. If I had to eat more than one serving a lettuce per day I'd explode. I think it has to do with finding foods that work for you, but again, I do think it's extreme and just being vegan can be a bridge to fitting more food in your stomach at once.
  10. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    Veganism makes no sense to me. None at all.

When I keto I eat a lot of fat (saturated), moderate protein and little in the way of carbs, which are primarily vegetables and low glycemic index fruit. When I am not in keto, but in prime metabolic range I still eat a lot of fat, moderate protein, but up my carbs to 50-75g.

Her diet is NOT healthy. It lacks in the way of protein and fat, both of which are necessary. The baby will get what it needs. The placenta will take from her fat stores, assuming she has enough stored fat, but then she is deficient herself.
    Pax, Aeon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast