Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Being a woman is the ultimate insult

1. Lex Justo BAMF Patriot Guard Rider!
    Lex Justo BAMF Patriot Guard Rider!

Being a woman is the ultimate insult

Advertisements
    I found this tonight, again in my deep ponderings on life. Kinda made me go "hmm" and was wondering what others thought about this statement. Is there truth to it? Is it an insult or just lingo? Why is it this way?

“What’s the worst possible thing you can call a woman? Don’t hold back, now.
    You’re probably thinking of words like slut, whore, bitch, cunt (I told you not to hold back!), skank.
    Okay, now, what are the worst things you can call a guy? Fag, girl, bitch, pussy. I’ve even heard the term “mangina.”
    Notice anything? The worst thing you can call a girl is a girl. The worst thing you can call a guy is a girl. Being a woman is the ultimate insult. Now tell me that’s not royally fucked up.”
    Jessica Valenti,
    I've been known as
    "The Enforcer" and NavyHeart

Once more into the fray...
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live or die on this day...
    Live and die on this day.

2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Well, there is a difference between a girl and a woman, which that author doesn't want to recognize. No one calls a guy (or a man) a "woman" or "a lady" as an insult, nor do they call women those as insults.
    So being a woman isn't an insult, but being an adult and being called a child is.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Well, there is a difference between a girl and a woman, which that author doesn't want to recognize. No one calls a guy (or a man) a "woman" or "a lady" as an insult, nor do they call women those as insults.
    So being a woman isn't an insult, but being an adult and being called a child is.
    I dunno about that. I've heard DH's buddies tell each other to "quit being such a fuckin' lady" and shit like that.

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo!jingo View Post
    I dunno about that. I've heard DH's buddies tell each other to "quit being such a fuckin' lady" and shit like that.
    I've heard it, too.

The point of the quote is that all of the worst insults are feminine. You can argue semantics--girl, woman, lady--but all of those pejoratives from the OP are feminine. When you really want to hurt someone, you use terms synonymous with female or the feminine.

I guess I'm surprised that anyone is surprised by the underlying misogyny in our culture.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

It kind of bothers me that they're basically saying calling someone a fag is calling them a girl. Homophobia is a real thing and it's not just calling a guy a girl, I think it's a separate issue from misogyny.

That said, yeah there are a lot of gendered insults. There are some for men too but I do think there's a reason most of them are feminine.
  6. The Dude Abides
    The Dude Abides
    I think the quote is on point. Our society is pretty misogynistic as a whole.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I've heard it, too.

The point of the quote is that all of the worst insults are feminine. You can argue semantics--girl, woman, lady--but all of those pejoratives from the OP are feminine. When you really want to hurt someone, you use terms synonymous with female or the feminine.

I guess I'm surprised that anyone is surprised by the underlying misogyny in our culture.

8. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I think I annoy people because I didn't grow up hearing any of those words. I knew they existed, but never heard them actually used like in anger, or casual talk. My family was more shit/damn/hell/fuck, nothing like pussy or bitch. When I met people who did say these things like "So and so is being a pussy", I questioned them on it, one if they were a heterosexual male, I would ask them "why is that a bad thing? you like pussy" (I see the flaws in this question, but it usually stumps people because they're so used to people just "getting" what they mean) and the other thing I wondered was, what did it even mean? Calling some a vagina? I get saying "She's such a bitch" if you're talking about an extremely rude or mean woman. That one like makes sense to me. But calling some one a vagina is like "You're a warm wet dark place that sometimes causes or produces pleasure and other times babies come through! So there!". I know I'm a kill joy. I just don't get it. And for the record, if someone was going to call me something like that I would prefer the term "squish mitten" because It is my favorite fandom word for vagina and it would make for a more fun sounding insult.
  9. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    It kind of bothers me that they're basically saying calling someone a fag is calling them a girl. Homophobia is a real thing and it's not just calling a guy a girl, I think it's a separate issue from misogyny.

That said, yeah there are a lot of gendered insults. There are some for men too but I do think there's a reason most of them are feminine.
    But the thing that's weird about fag is that it's feminized. The "bad" of gay is that they're not men. They're not real men because they're gay. You don't get called a fag if you do manly things, unless you actually are gay and manly, but then honestly the gay bashing gets all wrapped up in calling them women, so it's a pretty tricky situation.

That's not saying female oppression is worse than gay oppression, I'm just pointing out that a lot of homophobia is routed in sexism. That's why there's terms like "heterosexism," it's the not adhering to the gender binary sexism.

God I need more coffee, sorry if that's jumbled.
  10. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    I think I annoy people because I didn't grow up hearing any of those words. I knew they existed, but never heard them actually used like in anger, or casual talk. My family was more shit/damn/hell/fuck, nothing like pussy or bitch. When I met people who did say these things like "So and so is being a pussy", I questioned them on it, one if they were a heterosexual male, I would ask them "why is that a bad thing? you like pussy" (I see the flaws in this question, but it usually stumps people because they're so used to people just "getting" what they mean) and the other thing I wondered was, what did it even mean? Calling some a vagina? I get saying "She's such a bitch" if you're talking about an extremely rude or mean woman. That one like makes sense to me. But calling some one a vagina is like "You're a warm wet dark place that sometimes causes or produces pleasure and other times babies come through! So there!". I know I'm a kill joy. I just don't get it. And for the record, if someone was going to call me something like that I would prefer the term "squish mitten" because It is my favorite fandom word for vagina and it would make for a more fun sounding insult.
    Bitch is bad because you're literally telling someone they're a female animal used for breeding purposes. Dehumanizing a group is the first step in making sure they're oppressed.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast