Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheists say their help isn't wanted at Kansas City Rescue Mission Read more: http:/

1. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries

Atheists say their help isn't wanted at Kansas City Rescue Mission Read more: http:/

Advertisements
    Atheists say their help isn't wanted at Kansas City Rescue Mission
    KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The Kansas City Atheist Coalition said their help to serve meals this upcoming holiday is no longer wanted at the Kansas City Rescue Mission.

The Development Coordinator at the Rescue Mission said it is an unapologetically Christian organization.

The evidence is everywhere: on the front sign, scripture hangs on the walls and in its cafeteria which is adorned with a picture of Christ.

And, this year, that message for the first time will be in each of the 500 meals they deliver on Thanksgiving Day.

It is one of the reasons why the Atheist Coalition believes this Thanksgiving they have been told “thanks, but no thanks.”
    The Kansas City Atheist Coalition has delivered them for the last two years but this year they will have to find another charity.

"It's disappointing,” the coalition's president Josh Hyde said.

He said his group of growing atheists has a mission too.

"We want to bridge the theological divide," he said, "and get atheists and theists together for the common good."

But the Kansas City Rescue Mission said it wants to give others a chance to experience the joy of helping others; it said it is still turning down volunteers.

"We want to give as many people that experience,” Julie Larocco with the Kansas City Rescue Mission said.

This year, the Thanksgiving meal will look a little bit different when recipients open up the dinner. They will see a gospel message inside that reads: God loves you and you are not alone.

"If someone was to say 'tell me more' and the person can't because it's against their convictions, I don't feel like that's representative of the Kansas City Rescue Mission,” Larocco said. “We believe that God is our hope."

"It's unfortunate when religious organizations refuse the help of atheist organizations simply on the basis of lack of belief that they can't come together with atheists for the greater good,” Hyde said.

The Kansas City Rescue Mission has asked the Atheist Coalition to help with other projects throughout the year. The coalition said it will consider but this holiday it will instead adopt a family.

Read more: Atheists say their help isn't wanted at Kansas City Rescue Mission
    This bothers me. A volunteer is a volunteer!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm okay with this.

If someone was to say 'tell me more' and the person can't because it's against their convictions, I don't feel like that's representative of the Kansas City Rescue Mission
    This is what did it for me. They aren't saying, "Atheists can't truly be loving because they don't know God," or, "Atheists birth Satan's children," or something. They are trying to promote a particular ideology. Why would they bring in representatives for their organization that don't support that ideology? It would be like Greenpeace bringing in oil tycoons to help with anti-drilling petitions. They're trying to further a particular belief system-- why would they hire folks (or allow them to volunteer) when they go 100% against that ideology, that belief being that God is real, God loves them, and because of Christ, they are not alone??
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    I'm okay with this.

This is what did it for me. They aren't saying, "Atheists can't truly be loving because they don't know God," or, "Atheists birth Satan's children," or something. They are trying to promote a particular ideology. Why would they bring in representatives for their organization that don't support that ideology? It would be like Greenpeace bringing in oil tycoons to help with anti-drilling petitions. They're trying to further a particular belief system-- why would they hire folks (or allow them to volunteer) when they go 100% against that ideology, that belief being that God is real, God loves them, and because of Christ, they are not alone??
    I can understand this, but if it were me personally, I would be so upset if I was not allowed to volunteer based on my beliefs. Especially if I was allowed to in the past.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    It's a shame that the need for them to proselytize is more important to them than simply providing a meal for those in need.
  5. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    It's a shame that the need for them to proselytize is more important to them than simply providing a meal for those in need.
    ITA. If it is so important to them, ask the volunteers to tell the people to direct questions towards the program director vs the volunteers.
  6. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

This is what I was thinking. I hope the Atheist group can find somewhere to volunteer where their help is appreciated and can be given without carrying out an ulterior motive.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I get that they have a mission to share their beliefs, but I think that mission should come secondary to serving those in need. By doing this they are putting their mission above the needs of the people they serve. It is their prerogative to do so but I find it unfortunate.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Punky77 View Post
    I can understand this, but if it were me personally, I would be so upset if I was not allowed to volunteer based on my beliefs. Especially if I was allowed to in the past.
    Are they not allowed to volunteer with the organization ever? Or just not allowed to be servers who will be interacting with the homeless for this particular event?

Different ministries have different missions. If everyone's mission was to hand out communion wafers, then no one would be running the food bank. There are people who serve food without mentioning God (and without their volunteers being able to discuss God in case they are asked), then there are people who serve food as a way to glorify God and bring honor to His name. If none of your volunteers can glorify Him when they are asked direct questions about Him, then you're not completing that mission. Different parts of the body have different missions.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerGirl15 View Post
    I get that they have a mission to share their beliefs, but I think that mission should come secondary to serving those in need. By doing this they are putting their mission above the needs of the people they serve. It is their prerogative to do so but I find it unfortunate.
    You make it sound like they're turning away people that they actually need in order to feed the hungry. If they're turning away excess volunteers, then there are plenty of people to fulfill their mission to feed the homeless and so they can be pickier in their volunteer qualifications.

If a local children's event requested volunteers have CPR/First Aid experience, would there be such an uproar? If the qualification isn't so harshly limiting that it prevents them from holding the event, then what is people's issue? It is a qualification that is needed to accomplish their strategic mission Or is it inherently bad because it involves Christianity?
    ​​​

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Double post.
    ​​​

Banned
    I'm sorry but this just sounds so ass backwards to what Jesus teaches about helping others. Did he make sure everyone was of his ideology when he was feeding the multitude.
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast