Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kanye West's album art racist?

1. Regular Member

Kanye West's album art racist?

Advertisements
    Do you agree that his album art is racist?
    Kanye West’s Yeezus Album Art is Racist, By Danielle Miller | Last Real Indians

I totally agree with her on all of it.
  2. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    no i don't. franky... it looks like an ed hardy t shirt. skulls and head dresses are the new "it" thing. i see tattoos of them everywhere. just like skulls and owls before and koi fish before that.

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Kanye West has once again done something controversial. Color me surprised.

I have no opinion on the idea that it's racist because I don't know the context to the material and album. And I don't care enough about Kanye West to listen or learn more about it to make an informed decision, so basically I have no opinion on it.

Great marketing strategy though. I'm sure that this will generate a lot of sales for him.
  4. La vie boheme
    La vie boheme

I'm part Cherokee and honestly it doesn't bother me. HOWEVER, I see a lot of things that I think receive way too much attention and are nit-picked.

I agree with Lynn though. I bet he wants all of the attention.

Let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. - 1 John 3:18
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Kanye West has once again done something controversial. Color me surprised.

I have no opinion on the idea that it's racist because I don't know the context to the material and album. And I don't care enough about Kanye West to listen or learn more about it to make an informed decision, so basically I have no opinion on it.

Great marketing strategy though. I'm sure that this will generate a lot of sales for him.
    This is where I'm at too.
  6. Regular Member
    I'm a quarter Cherokee and do see a problem with it. I agree with the article that the culture has been so appropriated that is not even recognizable as offensive or racist when do crap like this. Having a dead Native in headdress is offensive especially coming from Kanye West, someone who once again is exploiting it. It's made even worse by having the words "God wants you" underneath it.
  7. Senior Member
    I'm indifferent with the God Wants You part....like it could seriously reference anything related to someone' religion.

To me its a skeleton, who wears a head dress and a native outfit. Just like how there are skeletons wearing overalls, or skeletons wearing a cowboy hat. Or in other cases, pictures of celebrities with half their face normal, and the other half skeletal (or melted off I guess?)

Maybe Kanye did want to start controversey, maybe he didn't.
    I mean...this is the same dude who calls himself God. And in the same interview, said if he wants to be a "N" word, he'll call himself the "N" word.

There's a ton of possibilies here. Now that I remember the interview, maybe he wants you? Who knows.
  8. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    What ISN'T racist these days? So, no, I don't find it racist. I don't find it good artwork either. It's rather ugly, IMO. But everyone's calling everything racist so it must be, right?

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  9. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Oh my fucking god, more racism?

life's a party, rock your body
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenxheart View Post
    I'm a quarter Cherokee and do see a problem with it. I agree with the article that the culture has been so appropriated that is not even recognizable as offensive or racist when do crap like this. Having a dead Native in headdress is offensive especially coming from Kanye West, someone who once again is exploiting it. It's made even worse by having the words "God wants you" underneath it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope View Post
    I'm part Cherokee and honestly it doesn't bother me. HOWEVER, I see a lot of things that I think receive way too much attention and are nit-picked.

I agree with Lynn though. I bet he wants all of the attention.
    Not to be rude, but are war bonnets even a part of cherokee tradition? I know they are associated with plains indians.

I do get why people are upset about these depictions, numerous as they are. This is a group of people who have been subjected to genocide among other atrocities (yes in the past, but the not-so-distant past) and the coolest way to depict them is dead in culturally significant regalia. It'd be like... dead soldiers in their ceremonial uniform except worse because of the history. So, definitely off-putting to say the least.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast