Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: telling renters about a death

1. Senior Member

telling renters about a death

Advertisements
    I posted the other day about our roommate passing away. We want to get another roommate though we are not rushing it. I actually feel terrible even thinking about it to be honest.
    Legally it appears we don't have to disclose anything about his death, but I want to know others opinions. Would you let future tenets know? Does it matter how the person died? Would you want to know? Any advice on how I should tell people if we do?

I feel so selfish even worrying about this
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    The new roomie WILL hear about it. The new roomie will be pissed that you did not tell him or her. The new roommie may decide that they do not want to live in a room where someone recently died.
    Put yourself in the new roommies situation. Would you want to know?
    Now, I might not put it in the ad, or show the room and open with "This will be your room. The last guy died right here, on this very mattress that you will be sleeping on."

But yeah, i'd mention it, especially if they ask.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    I think I would only want to know if it was violent.

So with your situation, no.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  4. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    i would say something about it. it wouldnt bother me to have the same room but i would just want to know about it.

also was it your bed that he died in or his bed? if it was yours do you intend on the new renter sleeping in the same bed the guy died in? because i wouldn't ever want to sleep on that.

5. Senior Member
    It is not our bed. If it was we would get rid of it. See I wouldn't want to know thats why I wanted to get other opinions. The only time I wou ld want to know is if it was violent.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I would want to know.It wouldn't affect my decision overall, but I would want to know.
  7. Senior Member
    And if they asked I would never lie about it.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    In your case I would tell them just because they will find out. In general, no I wouldn't tell someone unless it was a violent crime. I've lived in an apartment where someone passed and due to laws in CA I had to be told before I moved in. Since I knew it kinda wore on me, not knowing would have been better.
  9. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I'd want to know and I think it'd be way easier to just tell people. Some won't want the room, but plenty of people wont care but will appreciate knowing before committing. I know I'm bad at remembering not to talk about something, and if it ever came up it could be an unnecessary issue with your new roommate.
  10. Senior Member
    I would probably mention it but not like straight up he died right here right in this spot type thing, ya know? Just be like we're looking for a new roommate because our last one passed away or something and if they have questions answer honestly. If it were me looking to move in I would probably ask at that point how he died (overdose, heart attack, whatever) and then move on, ya know? I wouldn't be like "did he die here??!!" because that doesn't matter to me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast