Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pennsylvania law says no touching of pregnant bellies without permission

1. Senior Member

Pennsylvania law says no touching of pregnant bellies without permission

Advertisements
    10News - Pennsylvania law says no touching of pregnant bellies without permission - Entertainment Story

Many pregnant women complain about complete strangers approaching them and touching their bellies.

In some situations, with permission, it is OK.

However, in Pennsylvania, it is against the law to touch a pregnant woman's belly without her consent.

In Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, a man faces harassment charges after a pregnant woman said he touched her belly against her will.

Under Pennsylvania law, subjecting a person to physical contact can be considered harassment. Therefore, if it's unwanted, it's illegal.

I started to put this in General but then thought it may become a Debate.
    While I understand that touching someone's belly while pregnant without asking is wrong, I am seeing nothing but trouble with this becoming a law............so many scenarios come to mind and I think this law could raise a lot of abuses. Don't like a family member charge them with harassment for touching your belly, mad at a friend....charge them with harassment.
    I don't know, I just feel that we as a country think making everything a law will solve the problem or the things we dislike. If a person is harassing you then press charges but I don't think this should have become a law when we already have laws to protect being harassed
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  2. Forever & a Day!
    Forever & a Day!
    Blog Entries
    If I ever get pregnant Im moving to Pennsylvania!!! That is one of those things that I KNOW I wouldn't be able to handle… lol Although I agree that making it a law is a bit extreme, it should become a norm in society to just not touch someone without permission especially someone as vulnerable as a pregnant woman… Its called personal space.

Serenity is the best Wifey a woman could ever ask for
  3. Senior Member
    Haha! If I get pregnant and anyone comes NEAR my belly I am busting this information out. Just one more thing to like about where I live.

ETA: I think this falls under unwelcome touching. No one would touch your belly otherwise, so why should people think it's ok when you are pregnant? The law might be a little extreme, but people seem to think pregnant bellies are public property, and that drives me nuts.

4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I feel like this should be common sense
  5. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by Yabos View Post
    I feel like this should be common sense
    This.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  6. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

I wish this was common sense but sadly to many it isn't and I think this law could be helpful in assisting those people that apparently lack that common sense. I think it is sad though that it has to become a law.

I've had complete strangers in the grocery not only touch my belly by try to lift my shirt to touch my bare belly. For many pregnancy destroys the pregnant persons bubble and it can torturous for that pregnant person. People are ridiculous.
  7. Junior Member
    I never had an issue with people touching my belly when I was pregnant! It's so weird that people do that to complete strangers!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

8. Senior Member
    I like it. People will learn to keep their hands to themselves.
  9. Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    I honestly don't feel like people are gonna bust out lawsuits left and right over this. Like, DUH, if you're a stranger to me, don't touch my damn preggo belly without my permission. But if you're a friend of mine or a family member whom I'm very close to and you touch my belly without my permission, I'm not going to sue the pants off you. If I mind it, I'll just say something and if I don't, it's whatever.
  10. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by just, Chaleigh View Post
    I wish this was common sense but sadly to many it isn't and I think this law could be helpful in assisting those people that apparently lack that common sense. I think it is sad though that it has to become a law.

I've had complete strangers in the grocery not only touch my belly by try to lift my shirt to touch my bare belly. For many pregnancy destroys the pregnant persons bubble and it can torturous for that pregnant person. People are ridiculous.
    If that ever happens to me, heads will roll. I would scream at someone and possibly punch them.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast