Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Too Old to Have a Baby?

1. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful

Too Old to Have a Baby?

Advertisements
    Worlds Oldest Mother, aged 72, wants second child

In January 2005, Adriana Iliescu, then aged 66, gave birth to a healthy baby girl conceived through IVF. Now, with Eliza aged 5 and going to school, Mrs. Iliescu talks about the possibility of having a second child.

Mrs. Iliescu’s case caused quite a ruckus in the media at the time, as it went to become the first time a woman gave birth at such an advanced age.

Speaking of age and whether she’d do it all over again, Mrs. Iliescu tells the Daily Mail she wouldn’t say no to another child since it’s medically possible for her to become pregnant again – while her health also allows her to dream of many years still to come for her.

Still, that’s not to say that Mrs. Iliescu is under any illusion about how old she is or what an odd figure she must strike when she walks Eliza to school and she’s nothing like the rest of the other moms, something that the girl also picked on.

“I try not to look in the mirror, because I don’t enjoy it. The mirror is unkind to women, but if we are talking about my energy then I feel like a young woman,” Mrs. Iliescu says.

It’s this energy that has allowed her to even consider having a second child. She doesn’t smoke and doesn’t drink, and has parents who got to live until a very respectable old age.

“I feel like I’m 27 and when I feel a bit more tired, I feel like I’m 37. I am healthier than women more than half my age. People think they are being funny when they call me granny, but I didn’t have Eliza to make me look younger. I never feel my years,” the mother says for the Mail.

“Medically, it’s possible,” Mrs. Iliescu says when asked about whether she’d go through IVF and pregnancy again to give Eliza a sibling.

“I understand there are trials going on with a 70-year-old woman in England, so it could be done. I am fine and healthy and I think it would be possible to have another child in the future, but I’m not in a rush at the moment,” she explains.

The only thing that’s keeping Mrs. Iliescu from starting the treatment right now is not knowing how Eliza would react to another child in their life, and how that might alter the excellent bond they now share.

“I am so close to Eliza, so bonded with her, I’m not sure I’d be able to consider having another child if it actually came to it,” the 72-year-old mother further says for the same publication.

Clearly, Mrs. Iliescu is not afraid and doesn’t really care about what people have to say about her lifestyle choices and possible plans of having another baby.

As far as Eliza is concerned, she’ll be well provided for when Mrs. Iliescu’s time comes, both financially and in terms of someone to act as her guardian and substitute parent.
    She had her first at age 66. The baby was born premature, with a twin sister born stillborn. A third embryo was lost in the tenth week. Do you think there's such a thing as too old to have children? Is it fair to the child? Should there be a limit? If so, what?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I mean, look at Abraham and Sarah This goes back to a spiritual thing for me-- if God wants to allow them to conceive, He will. If He doesn't, then He won't. So I don't really see any need to restrict fertility practices based on age.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    I mean, look at Abraham and Sarah This goes back to a spiritual thing for me-- if God wants to allow them to conceive, He will. If He doesn't, then He won't. So I don't really see any need to restrict fertility practices based on age.
    She didn't conceive naturally, though. Does that still count?
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Absolutely there's a thing as too old, for a number of reasons. It's not fair to the child...she's 72. She'll live what, maybe 10 more years? It also can't be good for the mother to try and carry a child after a certain point...Plus after what is it, 40 or so, the chances of having a child with mental disabilities doubles or something? (Totally blanking on the statistics but yeah)...

Too many complications and consequences IMO. Now I don't know what age makes it too old or not. I think that'd have to be a case by case thing. I also don't believe there should be like a law or something stopping them from having kids.

I think it's great that she feels so good though!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by linzerfufu View Post
    She didn't conceive naturally, though. Does that still count?
    I think that any pregnancy, "natural" or not, goes before God before it happens. So yes, it still counts to me.

As for "is it fair to the children because she's had issues", what if we started disallowing women who had had multiple miscarriages or a stillbirth to seek IVF and other fertility treatments? There would be an uproar! What's different from her age being a factor, just like having immunological problems, diabetes, or genetic diseases being factors? Yet we don't disallow those folks from seeking fertility treatments.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I don't know what is unfair to the potential child - I mean any of the possible negatives/drawbacks of an elderly parent can also be an issue with younger parents - ie losing a parent to death, a less active parent due to physical condition, etc. Those are just the usual ones that get thrown out with aged parents, are there other concerns that you have in mind?
  7. Senior Member
    Of course you can be too old to have a baby. Menopause?
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

If she knows all the information about it, I say let her choose. That's pretty much what we've adopted for women and pregnancy across the board, right?
  9. Senior Member
    On one hand, if it's what she wants to do and she can care for the child, go for it. It's her life. On the other hand the vast majority of 66+ year olds could not handle a pregnancy/being the sole provider of a newborn. I guess I mostly feel like this is a venture that should be paid for out of pocket and not thru insurance or whatever, kwim?
  10. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Most women WON'T conceive at that age, even with IVF, and as you can see she had a rough go of it even though she did. There is a reason why women become high risk as they get older, and those risks go up more and more the older you get. I am only 35 and I am already automatically high risk just because of my age alone. I don't know if the risks of still birth, genetic issues, or just the risks of pregnancy on the woman's body are always worth it at that age. That's not for me to decide for someone else, though.

Morally, culturally... that's another story entirely. I am reluctant to say that any woman who wants a child and has the means to have one shouldn't have kids. As someone who went through infertility I get the desire, I really do, and I would hate if someone assigned an arbitrary number on me if I hadn't been able to conceive yet. That being said, I will admit that I feel bad for children that are born of parents that close to the end of the average life span, just because they are at such of an increased risk of being left without parents while they are still little.

This is a tricky one!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast