Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TOT in another neighborhood?

1. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

TOT in another neighborhood?

Advertisements
    So I'm curious how others feel about this. I find it annoying as hell when people go to another neighborhood to trick or treat because it gets SO crowded with vehicles. I'm not talking people coming from way out in the country, I'm talking about the people that want to score as much candy as possible so they drive their kids all over.

When I grew up I had to walk wherever I trick or treated and my kids walk our neighborhood (there is more houses than they can hit up anyway) but it never fails there is always people driving down the middle of the street with the tailgate down or trunk open with kids sitting there, hopping out, running up to a house and hopping back in to ride to the next house that is RIGHT NEXT DOOR. Dude you're filling your kids up with candy at least let them burn some calories before scarfing it all.

People will also tow their golf carts to your neighborhood and ride around in the golf carts. I've yelled at people before because I live on a corner and they have parked their vehicle and trailer on my lawn and offloaded their golf cart. Just...no.

I was going to put this in venting but then I thought meh someone is going to come along and say "we do it because xyz" so I figured debates would be a better spot.
  2. Senior Member
    We always trick or treated in other neighborhoods. Growing up we lived on this tiny dead-end street with no other neighborhoods nearby (there was a park and an old people's (55+) retirement community. So we'd do our neighborhood, the like 5 houses that did anything) and then head to my grandparents to TOT in their neighborhood. I don't mind it. Some neighborhoods got really into it and did haunted houses and stuff or bought giant candy bars and DUH that attracted a lot of kids.

The only places I've seen the drive-thru thing you're talking about is in the kinda sketchy areas of town, mostly people would drop off at the end of the street and reload and then move on, not driving door to door lol.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Super annoying. Our neighborhood is always all crammed with cars from other places coming to TorT. If you want to travel to TorT, go to the malls that do it or something. Don't cram up our streets and risk running over kids.
  4. Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    How badly do you want candy that you've gotta drive to another neighborhood to get some?
    I'm sure some people have their reasons but imo that's a little weird.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

When I was a kid we used to drive to a different town but it was so we could go with all of my cousins. My parents never would of let us be lazy if we were trick or treating, we drove to a family members house and then walked until we were done. I cannot imagine getting driven to every house, that seems so odd to me .
  6. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    Super annoying. Our neighborhood is always all crammed with cars from other places coming to TorT. If you want to travel to TorT, go to the malls that do it or something. Don't cram up our streets and risk running over kids.
    I completely agree. The part that bothers me the most is the risk to the children.
  7. Senior Member

I have never really seen this happen anywhere I lived. However, we used to take our kids to Murphy Canyon housing to trick or treat but we would park and walk, never did that drive thru thing you describe in the OP. The decorations were what would bring us to MC housing because a lot of people would go all out and it was fun!
    I would be annoyed if people did drive in the neighborhood while the kids ran back and forth from house to car to house, etc.
  8. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

I'll have to get it on video for you guys. My neighborhood attracts some but not as extreme as some other ones. Some of the other neighborhoods get traffic jams because of it. I'll be sitting in my driveway handing out candy and Jell-o shots. I may start yelling at the cars this year and blame it on the booze. No one in cars gets Jell-o shots.

I can TOTALLY get going to family/close friends neighborhood to trick or treat together as a group or if you live in an area that doesn't have many houses giving candy out, that's totally legit to me. There is actually a discussion on the local wives group fb page about "what neighborhoods are best to hit up". I liked the post by a woman that said she was calling the cops on anyone that parked on her lawn or blocked the road.

*side note* there is a guy on a tractor that pulls a wagon with hay in the back around here every year but I think that is kind of cool because it goes with the theme and they decorate it and stuff and he lets them out at the end of the street and picks them up at the other end.
  9. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Ya that happens in my parents neighborhood it drives me bonkers and makes navigating and walking with LOs very hard. I hate it.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I enjoy it. I don't often live in neighborhoods with lots of children (coincidence, not judicial order). Each Halloween I buy about 40 pounds of candy, sit outside listening to the blues, offering shots to the parents and making sure the kids take lots of candy and reminding them to eat it all before bedtime!

Speaking of which, the wife wants to give out toothbrushes this year. And she wonders why I call her the Grinch.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast