Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: s/o shutdown - back pay

1. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"

s/o shutdown - back pay

Advertisements
    Someone explain to me the purpose of the back pay?

I am trying to grasp it, come to understand it..

All I have in my head is that all those people just got a free vacation...

Thoughts on the back pay, anyone?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

There were people working who went unpaid. Now they're getting back paid for that worked time.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. Moderator

I dunno, I mean I get it. It was an involuntary "vacation" that a lot of people wouldn't have taken if they had the choice because it wasn't something they could plan for. Plus they had to be available to be recalled at any time. I also see the unfairness of it. I think the back pay is a necessary side effect of a sickness that should have been prevented (the shutdown).
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by SingWeJoyous View Post
    I dunno, I mean I get it. It was an involuntary "vacation" that a lot of people wouldn't have taken if they had the choice because it wasn't something they could plan for. Plus they had to be available to be recalled at any time. I also see the unfairness of it. I think the back pay is a necessary side effect of a sickness that should have been prevented (the shutdown).
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Furloughed people were not allowed (well not supposed) to work at any point in time, if they were working 'unpaid', well then I don't know what to say about it.. bad call I suppose.. IDK.

With that said.. presuming that all furloughed employees didn't do any sort of work, were not 'on-call' or otherwise waiting to be called back, what's the justification of the back pay?

Also, should everyone get back paid (everyone meaning, federal employees and contractors), or just the select few that have been chosen to get the back pay?

While it was an unexpected thing that happened, I don't think its fair that they all get paid. Its a risk of working for the government. But, I also think its unfair that they were forced to be off anyway.

The political point for me is, if we were in a shut down because we had lack of funds, etc, then wouldn't back paying someone for work not done be an oxymoron, or plainly, defeating the purpose of a shut down??

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    and to add... for those that were not furloughed, that had to do double or triple work, should they not get paid extra for doing the work of many?
    or rather, why not give the back pay to those who worked since they were working extra....

7. Senior Member
    I thought only those who worked during the shut down get back pay? My aunt was furloughed and said that she was only getting paid for one day that they had her come in to help out about half way through.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    I thought only those who worked during the shut down get back pay? My aunt was furloughed and said that she was only getting paid for one day that they had her come in to help out about half way through.
    A lot more are getting back payed.

Frankly I don't think you should be able to force people out of work for 16 days, make them not able to pay their bills, and be like, "oh wellz! Sucks to be you!" I agree with the back pay.
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    My understanding is, those who are privileged enough to get paid, will get back paid for the entire time they were off. Some (not all) were told to report to work the day following when that bill was passed, thus working on the notion they would get paid. But not everyone was called back to work, and they are still going to get back paid.

10. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelly View Post
    Frankly I don't think you should be able to force people out of work for 16 days, make them not able to pay their bills, and be like, "oh wellz! Sucks to be you!" I agree with the back pay.
    I agree with back pay. But I haven't heard about paying guard members who had drill cancelled, has anyone?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast