Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should kids 'earn' the purchase of new book(s)?

1. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"

Should kids 'earn' the purchase of new book(s)?

Advertisements
    (I put this in Debates because I am not sure how this will turn out).

As the title states...

Do you think buying books for kids (of any age) is a 'treat' or a 'luxury', similar to that of buying a toy/game or some other reward for doing good?

Or are books the exception? Should books be purchased regardless if a child really wants to read, etc?

Any other thoughts?

(and yes, I know there is a library, but for the matter of this, assume the library is closed or non-existent)

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We always got a standard amount of books a month (I don't remember how many, lets say 5). Any books we wanted on top of that we had to earn with grades or chores. Every A got us a new book. Although if there was a book we desperately wanted to read my mom would usually find a way to get it for us and make us feel like we earned it.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

No way. In our house, books will be gotten freely whenever we have the spending money available for them. I'll prefer her to read the book first from the library to make sure that it's good enough that she'll want to read it again, but that's not always going to happen when a book JUST comes out, so it won't be a requirement all of the time. I think that reading is a basic right to be encouraged and valued, not something that should have to be restricted or earned.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

4. Banned
    Banned
    books like food were a necessity in my home. They had books right away, and we bought books as they grew, if they put a book in the cart at the store I never once said no, even if it meant eating less that week.

both my kids are avid readers and both are adults.

my grandson is 5 and has over 100 books here at my house and over 100 books at his parents homes.
    he is read to every night before bed, read to anytime he wants it.
    he is starting to read on his own and I just bought him 10 new 1st grade readers.

so no it should not be a luxury, but a necessity.
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    what about the type of book?

such as, would a comic book, or something other than a novel be considered a luxury, or does the type of book not matter?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I read a rediculous amount starting pretty young, less expensive books I wanted I got almost right away. Books like Harry Potter I earned with chores. I'm not sure how we'll approach it when we have kids.
  7. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    Oh wow! I WISH!

My boys HATE to read. They get it from their dad. One year my mom was so proud because she got everyone books for Christmas. The first words out of my mouth were "What did you get Andrew(my husband)?" She got him a Chilton car manual! lmao. He read that one from cover to cover!

When I was a kid, I used to get GROUNDED from reading!!! I remember hiding under my covers with a flashlight reading way past bed time. LOL

In answer to your question. If my kids were like me growing up, yes, they'd have to earn it. But, with the way my boys are? No way. I'd buy them any book they want.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    what about the type of book?

such as, would a comic book, or something other than a novel be considered a luxury, or does the type of book not matter?
    it did not matter to me, I let them read just about anything they wanted.
  9. Senior Member
    We have so many books its ridiculous... but I keep buying them because my kids (4 and 6) love reading and love learning. We also check out books from the library. At any given time, we typically have books checked out from three different libraries and sometimes four. The books that I buy are books that they will love for years... mostly history, science, classics, etc... things that I read with them now. And most of the books from the library are things that are on their current reading levels.

I have never tied buying or reading books to any sort of punishment or reward.
  10. Moderator

Depends on the kid and the situation, I'd say. We've got a great book collection and a strict budget- if my kids want more books they would probably be considered a treat right now. Since they already have plenty at their disposal and haven't been through them all, more books would be a luxury. If they had gone through everything we already have, I would start to lean more towards considering them more of a need.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast