Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grocery store shelves to be equipped with cameras to gather shopper information

1. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries

Grocery store shelves to be equipped with cameras to gather shopper information

Advertisements
    Grocery store shelves to be equipped with cameras to gather shop - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

Starting in 2015, high-tech shelves, equipped with built in cameras could appear in grocery stores to watch us and get intelligence.

It's called retail surveillance and at least one company is moving forward with plans to track what you put in your cart.

The idea is coming from the company that owns mega brands like Chips Ahoy, Nabisco, Ritz, and other snack foods.

The company called Mondelez wants to build a data-base of basic information about grocery store customers like age and sex, so it can better market its products.

Do you think this is any different than the old school research marketing done in the past? I remember going to the mall and being stopped by people and asked if I would do a survey with them. And now there are online surveys.

I guess it's different in the sense that they are not giving you a choice here.
  2. Senior Member
    Really think this is dumb and a waste of money.
    Banned
    I think between shopper loyalty cards and the fact that they know exactly what you buy, how much and how often and all that other data already the cameras aren't necessary. I see it as a horrible intrusion on my privacy, cameras for security, absolutely. But to record what I put in my cart so some random company has footage of me buying all my groceries. Fuck no, that's way to much technology in my life.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Be-Bo View Post
    I think between shopper loyalty cards and the fact that they know exactly what you buy, how much and how often and all that other data already the cameras aren't necessary. I see it as a horrible intrusion on my privacy, cameras for security, absolutely. But to record what I put in my cart so some random company has footage of me buying all my groceries. Fuck no, that's way to much technology in my life.
    the cameras kinda freak me out especially if theyre at like chest or butt level...i just picture some perv sitting there watching them
  5. Senior Member
    Yeah I don't like that at all. I honestly don't care if companies know I'm buying their stuff but I don't need to be filmed in the process.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yeah I don't like that at all. I honestly don't care if companies know I'm buying their stuff but I don't need to be filmed in the process.
    This. I just don't really see the point...
  7. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    This. I just don't really see the point...
    The only reason I see this as a bonus is finding out who to market to. Male, female, race, etc.

Other than that, I think it's kind of weird.
  8. Senior Member
    Is Chips Ahoy really having that much trouble marketing their food correctly that they feel the need to put creepy spy cameras on their customers?? It's creepy and I'm not a fan but I guess also not that surprising idk.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Isn't there better ways to collect data. I though grocery stores already tracked purchases based of credit and debit card numbers.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Not so bad. At least they are not tracking us by using our cell phone! Oops.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/15/bu...cell.html?_r=0
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast