Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Religion driven charity

1. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

Religion driven charity

Advertisements
    Or any other specific viewpoint (political, etc.)

Do they bother you?

Dh & I have been wanting to do some more volunteer work. We found a soup kitchen that seemed nice, but anyone who wants to partake in the food must listen to a 45 minute sermon plus 15 minutes of "quiet prayer time" before getting food.

Honestly this bothers me, mainly because many people who go to this soup kitchen may not have the resources to get food from somewhere else, so they can't just decide not to go if they don't like the sermon. Dh doesn't have any problem with it. I feel like people should be able to choose to partake in religion without having to forgo what may be their only warm meal of the day.

Also, I saw some very manipulative religious work when I lived in Japan, where homeless people were required to sit and listen in the cold outside for HOURS and answer questions about Jesus before getting fed (and even that was just a bowl of rice and a bowl of soup). It really bothered me.

And to clarify, I would feel just as bothered if it was an organization that enforced listening to lectures about ANYTHING before feeding people, not just religion.

What about you?
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  2. Senior Member
    Yes, that would bother me too. The charity has a right to run the soup kitchen that way if they choose, but I would not volunteer there.
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    In areas of the world (aka cities), this doesnt tend to bother me sicne they can always find another place. But then I think, in the end, a meal is a meal, and if I really needed it, I would listen to whatever bullshit someone was spewing to get it. But I would never volunteer or donate to such a thing, I would volunteer to a place that expected nothing in return for charity.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Yes, that would bother me too. The charity has a right to run the soup kitchen that way if they choose, but I would not volunteer there.
    This is my thought, as well. They can do what they want but I won't be volunteering or donating to a place that expects to be 'making something' in return, figuratively speaking.
  5. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    In areas of the world (aka cities), this doesnt tend to bother me sicne they can always find another place. But then I think, in the end, a meal is a meal, and if I really needed it, I would listen to whatever bullshit someone was spewing to get it. But I would never volunteer or donate to such a thing, I would volunteer to a place that expected nothing in return for charity.
    Yup. If I needed food I wouldn't care but I personally wouldn't volunteer where they did that.

life's a party, rock your body
  6. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    I've heard of saying grace before meals at soup kitchens run by churches, but never a full sermon. That seems a bit much. I think I would find a different one-- heck, I wouldn't want to sit through all that just to volunteer there! But that's just me. I would be interested in talking with one of the organizers to find out the rationale of the sermon + prayer time. Maybe that's part of their religion? I mean, if a jewish temple refused to serve unkosher items at their soup kitchen, I wouldn't find it odd... but I might if I was unaware of the significance of the practice (or lack thereof).

www.SnarkyFit.com
  7. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetvanity View Post
    I've heard of saying grace before meals at soup kitchens run by churches, but never a full sermon. That seems a bit much. I think I would find a different one-- heck, I wouldn't want to sit through all that just to volunteer there! But that's just me. I would be interested in talking with one of the organizers to find out the rationale of the sermon + prayer time. Maybe that's part of their religion? I mean, if a jewish temple refused to serve unkosher items at their soup kitchen, I wouldn't find it odd... but I might if I was unaware of the significance of the practice (or lack thereof).
    Oh we're not going to be volunteering there. DH knows that I'm not okay with it. I just though it'd be interesting to bring up here and see what others think.

Honestly, like 1/2 the soup kitchens in san diego that I've found require at least 15 minutes of sermon beforehand. I was pretty surprised.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  8. sassypants
    sassypants
    do they have a right to do it?

yeah

its it tasteless? I think so
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  9. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I worked at a church for over a year as the administrator and we did a food pantry every week. NEVER ONCE was it religious beside the fact it was held at the church.

I feel like religion shouldn't be pushed on others and if you are truly wanting to help someone it should be just that. Not, "I will help you IF you do this first..."

life's a party, rock your body
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by mrsjennyy View Post
    I worked at a church for over a year as the administrator and we did a food pantry every week. NEVER ONCE was it religious beside the fact it was held at the church.

I feel like religion shouldn't be pushed on others and if you are truly wanting to help someone it should be just that. Not, "I will help you IF you do this first..."
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast