Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this Halloween prop offensive/racist?

1. Senior Member

Is this Halloween prop offensive/racist?

Advertisements
    Decided to post in debates because I have no idea how people will feel about this, considering I know very little about it. So, I love Halloween. And perusing the stores for decorations. So you know those more high tech, animatronic props that you can buy that are like a couple hundred bucks? Always really cool, but mostly really really scary ones (electric chair, life size horror characters etc) and not to mention beyond expensive for the average enthusiast?

Well, this year I found this cute almost 4 foot animatronic skeleton that plays the banjo. The first time I saw it was about $100. Not bad, but still a little too much for me. So I went home and tried to find a better deal online. Sure enough I did find it for considerably less online! He's a skeleton, but other than that not scary (trying to not traumatize little children) because he just plays a friendly tune on the banjo. Well, at least I thought it was friendly... that's where the debate comes in.

You can listen to the tune it plays on various sites and even watch a video of it in action. I listened and it seemed cute and lively. Most sites just say that it plays the banjo in the description. Then I noticed that a couple sites specifically said that he plays "Dixie" on the banjo. I've of course heard the word "Dixie" before and associate it with the south. But the tune and the song name honestly were not familiar to me at all. I decided to google "Dixie song" out of curiosity and I right away see a Wikipedia page talking about how it is considered offensive and reminiscent of slavery. I had NO clue that that was what was going to pop up!!

So that immediately had me concerned and I googled more... all sorts of information and articles dedicated to this Dixie song. Some saying its the Confederate anthem, others still about the offensiveness to slavery. At first I'm like ok... maybe it's just the lyrics? The skeleton just plays and there's no words... but nope, I then spot a news article about a college band that played Dixie at some concert in Missouri at an outdoor dedication and people were extremely offended. So obviously the tune itself is recognizable to people. Some people have written that it's just a classic historical southern song, but still I think I am too afraid to buy it because it seems that it incites more offensiveness than not the more and more I read about it.

It scared me a little... i'm glad that I noticed this before I bought it! I really, really wanted him but not if he plays a racist song! I loved that it was eery but not overly scary. What do you think though? Do you recognize the song title "Dixie"? And also, would you recognize just the tune itself? Is it offensive? I shouldn't buy it, right? I wish he played a different song... but I can't imagine displaying it and people getting angry if the general consensus is that this song is negative. And if it is in fact offensively racist, then why would they create such a prop for Halloween to be sold everywhere???!!

As I said, i'm not real familiar with this song at all... so I need your insight.

Here is a video of the prop and it playing Dixie... note that none of the comments thus far seem alarmed by it. I just don't know what to think...

Banjo Playing Skeleton - YouTube
  2. Senior Member
    I would be really surprised if anybody managed to drag racism out of that tbh. It's so vague.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I would be really surprised if anybody managed to drag racism out of that tbh. It's so vague.
    see, I just don't know. A part of me thinks that since I didn't even know the song (tune nor title) that most other people must not... but then I see lots of passionate disgust of it online. I'm confused! Heres a couple of the sites that I've been reading about it being offensive...

Dixie (song) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Missouri State University President Apologized After School Band Played 'Dixie'
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Personally I wouldn't be offended. I do recognize the song Dixie when I hear it. Probably wouldn't be comfortable having that in my house but if someone else used it I wouldn't be upset and I wouldn't think they're a racist.

Things like this are really dependant on the individual, I think. Some things really bother people and others are able to let go out of the history and sort of take it at face value I guess? The first thing I thought of when reading your post was blackface, now that's something to me that is incredibly offensive and I'm shocked that people are ok with it, but apparently a lot of people don't even know the history (which I had always thought was common knowledge) so it's like ... depends on your background and your knowledge base I guess. I do think the song is way less offensive than blackface though, just came to mind because of the context I guess.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Simply put - if someone wants to be offended by it, they will be....as with anything else.
  6. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!
    I kind of feel like anyone that is offended by that is just looking for a reason to argue. It's a Halloween decoration that plays a recognizable song, I don't know anyone that would think it's racist or offensive, and I live in the south.
  7. Life is an adventure!
    Life is an adventure!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Simply put - if someone wants to be offended by it, they will be....as with anything else.
    if you want it, get it.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Personally I wouldn't be offended. I do recognize the song Dixie when I hear it. Probably wouldn't be comfortable having that in my house but if someone else used it I wouldn't be upset and I wouldn't think they're a racist.

Things like this are really dependant on the individual, I think. Some things really bother people and others are able to let go out of the history and sort of take it at face value I guess? The first thing I thought of when reading your post was blackface, now that's something to me that is incredibly offensive and I'm shocked that people are ok with it, but apparently a lot of people don't even know the history (which I had always thought was common knowledge) so it's like ... depends on your background and your knowledge base I guess. I do think the song is way less offensive than blackface though, just came to mind because of the context I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Punky77 View Post
    I kind of feel like anyone that is offended by that is just looking for a reason to argue. It's a Halloween decoration that plays a recognizable song, I don't know anyone that would think it's racist or offensive, and I live in the south.
    right but... there are varying degrees of offensiveness to me. Like, there are lots of people that think swearing is offensive. I tend to curb my swearing when in public, but not entirely. It's more of an etiquette thing in terms of offense. But when dealing with slavery and racism I feel like that is a whole 'nother level... I can't just say "oh well, if they're offended they're offended I can't help that!" because I feel that social issues are to be treated with more sensitivity, ya know? If in fact it is overwhelming offensive... which I still don't know! Just like I wouldn't let my kid dress up as a KKK member for Halloween even if they wanted to, just not ok. Or use the "n" word. It's just one of those things where I don't want to go by my own feelings of "it's probably fine" when people could find that extremely insensitive. I don't want people burning my house down because they see such a prop...

So i'm just more curious about the experiences of others with this song rather than the "you can't please everybody" mentality. Have you heard this song played in benign settings before? Interesting that both Punky and Tojai are familiar with it and wouldn't think much of it. Duly noted!
  9. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    Me too. I mean, to me is not "oh its that song Dixie... " to me it's "that other banjo song" (the other being dueling banjos). If you want it, get it.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  10. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by alice04 View Post
    So i'm just more curious about the experiences of others with this song rather than the "you can't please everybody" mentality. Have you heard this song played in benign settings before? Interesting that both Punky and Tojai are familiar with it and wouldn't think much of it. Duly noted!
    Yeah I think I am probably on the more sensitive side when it comes to being offended by things like this (although I certainly don't feel like I look for things to be offended about and I wouldn't necessarily think that if someone was truly upset by it) and it wouldn't really bother me.

The last time I heard Dixie was a jibjab song (it's like political satire), there was a song about the presidential election set to that tune. BEfore that I hadn't heard it in a long time, couldn't say when the last time was really.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast