Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 84

Thread: For those of you who want to defund obamacare, or the ACA..............

  1. sassypants
    WiggleWiggle~'s Avatar
    WiggleWiggle~ is offline
    sassypants
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Encinitas
    Posts
    8,499
    #1

    For those of you who want to defund obamacare, or the ACA..............

    Advertisements
    what is your alternative plan?



    I don't like obamacare, only because it is not extensive universal health care IE, it does not cover everyone. But from a conservative prospective, the only alternative I see is eliminating insurance entirely
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  2. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Jenni Penni's Avatar
    Jenni Penni is offline
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,484
    #2
    I believe that we need a universal health care system, but I just don't see Obamacare's attempted balance between the hybrid private/public health care system we have now and a universal health care system working out long-term.

    I think that we need to attempt to work towards health care systems like Germany's and Britain's and Taiwan's. Not that those systems are perfect by any means - I don't think they could ever be perfect - but I think they're a good benchmark at this point.

    And as a disclaimer, my opinion on this subject is still developing so please consider it completely imperfect and under construction

    "The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

  3. Senior Member
    villanelle's Avatar
    villanelle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,790
    #3
    I don't love the plan that was left when all the negotiating dust settled. I don't think it is the right solution. But I am still in favor of it because I think it is a step in the right direction. Once we have it in place, we can tinker with it and adjust is when we see the actual results. (Of course, that would require a non-obstructionist Congress that wanted to actually fix things, rather than claim victories and shame the other party, so....)
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Procella's Avatar
    Procella is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,983
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by WiggleWiggle~ View Post
    what is your alternative plan?



    I don't like obamacare, only because it is not extensive universal health care IE, it does not cover everyone. But from a conservative prospective, the only alternative I see is eliminating insurance entirely

    I believe we live in a country where it shouldn't even be a question that sick or injured people get the best care available regardless of ability to pay. If Universal healthcare were to be made available then at least people have a choice, they can use it or not. It shouldn't take away the option to pay out of pocket.

    To me this reform has not addressed that healthcare for catastrophic and chronic events is still unaffordable. A $12,500 cap is still $12,500 plus coverage premiums that many people can't afford. In general, it may or may not reduce overall cost for everyone for preventative care as that remains to be seen but I for one am pessimistic. Private insurers still have to see a profit to stay in business so they money still is going to come from somewhere.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    katinahat's Avatar
    katinahat is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    20,893

    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Penni View Post
    I believe that we need a universal health care system, but I just don't see Obamacare's attempted balance between the hybrid private/public health care system we have now and a universal health care system working out long-term.

    I think that we need to attempt to work towards health care systems like Germany's and Britain's and Taiwan's. Not that those systems are perfect by any means - I don't think they could ever be perfect - but I think they're a good benchmark at this point.

    And as a disclaimer, my opinion on this subject is still developing so please consider it completely imperfect and under construction
    This. I'm for universal healthcare, but I see Obamacare as mandatory private healthcare. Buy a policy or else. I'd rather they just make it like Tricare, where they pay us slightly less (in the general populace, just take it out in additional taxes so the folks never even see that money) but we get "free" healthcare to an in-network provider or pay a copay for out-of-network.
    ​​​

    “Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

  6. Eye
    Master Caster
    Eye's Avatar
    Eye is offline
    Master Caster
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Smithton, MO
    Posts
    7,517
    Blog Entries
    1
    #6
    Personally, I think all of the Insurance companies need to be privatized. If they had a little competition their prices wouldn't be so high. Kind of like car insurance. They need a Geico for Health Insurance.
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    TrishAFSpouse's Avatar
    TrishAFSpouse is offline
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    12,308
    #7
    Personally.. I don't like being bullied into this type of plan. Do we need healthcare reform, yes.. do I think ACA is the answer/solution.. no.

    Call it whatever you will, but how Obama got this thing passed and approved still ticks me off. He bullied congress and basically said 'even if you don't agree to it I'm passing it anyway'.... that, to me, is wrong.

    There is so much in this Act/healthcare plan that is wrong, so many things that aren't covered, etc. Sure, those who are in desperate need of healthcare will praise it, but those that aren't in desperate need and have to fork out a ton of money are going to hate it. There really isn't a happy medium. He went about it poorly and he only did it (IMO) to get a check mark against his presidency, to say he accomplished something.

    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  8. Senior Member
    villanelle's Avatar
    villanelle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,790
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Personally.. I don't like being bullied into this type of plan. Do we need healthcare reform, yes.. do I think ACA is the answer/solution.. no.

    Call it whatever you will, but how Obama got this thing passed and approved still ticks me off. He bullied congress and basically said 'even if you don't agree to it I'm passing it anyway'.... that, to me, is wrong.

    There is so much in this Act/healthcare plan that is wrong, so many things that aren't covered, etc. Sure, those who are in desperate need of healthcare will praise it, but those that aren't in desperate need and have to fork out a ton of money are going to hate it. There really isn't a happy medium. He went about it poorly and he only did it (IMO) to get a check mark against his presidency, to say he accomplished something.

    How did he do that? Congress had to vote on it. He can't pass a bill without that bill making it through the House and Senate. So there's no way he could have "passed it anyway" as that is not how our system works.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #9
    why I am for ACA- better insurance options ( this will never effect me as DH will retire and will have access to Tricare and Tricare for life.)
    cheaper insurance for most.
    better control of price fixing and price manipulations for drugs and services.
    ( when my inhaler costs 130 dollars without insurance here but only costs 1.20 in cuba and free in France, there is a big problem)
    no catastrophic caps ( these are suppose to be completely eliminated by 2016 if I remember right)
    "" my little great nephew would have met his catastrophic life time cap before he was 9 days old, but the new law states that he will never have a catastrophic cap in his life time ( his current total medical costs exceed 1.8 million dollars and he has 2- maybe 3 more heart surgeries in his life time)
    the law changes the rules that you cannot secure insurance out side your state of residence. this is huge-- why? for example since my dad already had insurance from MI, he is able to continue that coverage uninterrupted, but to change it to florida would increase his rates by almost 300 dollars a month.
    if you could "shop around" in different states would you find a lower cost insurance? of course you would.....

    someone proposed once that ALL DR's should have their education gov funded. if doctors did not have 300-400 thousand dollars in student loans, would their rates be so high?
    in Costa rica- the gov pays all tution for doctors. the requirement is that they work for the gov in low income clinics, hosp ect for 5 years to "repay" the gov. I believe, Ireland, France, Germany all do the same. I think there is something to that.

    we are a capitalist society;; but medical things should not be capitalistic. that is why we are in the position we are in.
  10. Eye
    Master Caster
    Eye's Avatar
    Eye is offline
    Master Caster
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Smithton, MO
    Posts
    7,517
    Blog Entries
    1
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    why I am for ACA- better insurance options ( this will never effect me as DH will retire and will have access to Tricare and Tricare for life.)
    cheaper insurance for most.
    better control of price fixing and price manipulations for drugs and services.
    ( when my inhaler costs 130 dollars without insurance here but only costs 1.20 in cuba and free in France, there is a big problem)
    no catastrophic caps ( these are suppose to be completely eliminated by 2016 if I remember right)
    "" my little great nephew would have met his catastrophic life time cap before he was 9 days old, but the new law states that he will never have a catastrophic cap in his life time ( his current total medical costs exceed 1.8 million dollars and he has 2- maybe 3 more heart surgeries in his life time)
    the law changes the rules that you cannot secure insurance out side your state of residence. this is huge-- why? for example since my dad already had insurance from MI, he is able to continue that coverage uninterrupted, but to change it to florida would increase his rates by almost 300 dollars a month.
    if you could "shop around" in different states would you find a lower cost insurance? of course you would.....

    someone proposed once that ALL DR's should have their education gov funded. if doctors did not have 300-400 thousand dollars in student loans, would their rates be so high?
    in Costa rica- the gov pays all tution for doctors. the requirement is that they work for the gov in low income clinics, hosp ect for 5 years to "repay" the gov. I believe, Ireland, France, Germany all do the same. I think there is something to that.

    we are a capitalist society;; but medical things should not be capitalistic. that is why we are in the position we are in.
    That's only IF the gov decides not to CUT THAT TOO. Nothing is set in stone anymore. I guess it never was. I never dreamed my husband would want to retire early. But here it is. He is making plans now to retire in about 5 years. Originally he was going to wait until retirement age.

    After all the changes and cuts over the years, I wouldn't be surprised if they cut Tricare for life and made vets use the new healthcare.
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •