Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teen Mom's Banned Yearbook Photo

1. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries

Teen Mom's Banned Yearbook Photo

Advertisements
    Just like any other high school student, Caitlin Tiller of Trinity, North Carolina was excited to take her official senior portrait in the summer of 2012.

More on Yahoo! Shine: New Anti-Teen Pregnancy Ads Feature Kids Shaming Their Parents

That year, Wheatmore High School students were allowed to be photographed with a prop of their choice. Their only directions: "Bring something that represents you and helped you achieve something." For Tiller, then a 17-year-old junior, it was a no-brainer: She brought her 3-month old son, Leelin.

More on Yahoo! Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

"I picked my son because he's helped me be a better person," Tiller told Yahoo! Shine. "By having him, I grew up quickly but I learned how to be responsible."

Although Tiller didn't tell anyone that she was planning to bring Leelin, the photo shoot, which took place in the school cafeteria, went smoothly. "Lots of kids were there and the photographer thought Leelin was so cute. Everyone was asking to hold him," says Tiller.

An entire year went by and Tiller graduated in December, six months before her official graduation date on June 7, 2013, in order to enter Randolph Community College in January. Tiller, now 18, is currently studying to become a medical assistant.

On April 12, two days before the yearbooks went to press, Tiller received a call from the school's yearbook adviser. "She said I had to take a different photo because the one I took promoted teen pregnancy," said Tiller. "They called on my son's birthday so I said I wasn't available and besides, I choose Leelin because he represented what I've achieved in life. I said if Leelin can't be in the photo, then I won't be either. The adviser said, 'That's your choice. Then you won't be in the yearbook' and hung up on me."

Tiller's mom Karen called the principal at Wheatmore High School. "He told her that it was the yearbook adviser's decision, not his," says Tiller. So Karen called the school board. "They just told her no but didn't explain why," said Tiller. "Then my mom got mad and called the news station." On Wednesday, Tiller went public with her story on a local TV station.

In an email to Yahoo! Shine, Donald E. Andrews, the Superintendent of Randolph County Schools wrote: "The practice at Wheatmore High School regarding yearbook pictures for seniors has been to include only graduating students in the senior section, and to permit family members and friends to be featured with our seniors in the ad section of the yearbook. We offered this option to Ms. Tiller. We regret that this practice was not made clearer to her earlier in the yearbook development process and we will do a better job going forward with explaining our yearbook practices.

Tiller, who works a part-time job at a local McDonald's to support Leelin with the help of his father, doesn't deny that her pregnancy is controversial. "It was weird to go to school as the only pregnant student and walk around campus with a big stomach," she says. "I see the school's point: That if other parents see the photo, they'll call and complain. But I'm proud of my decision to have Leelin. He's the best thing that's ever happened to me and I don't want other teens going through pregnancy to feel ashamed or alone."
    I personally don't see the big deal, if the school was going to follow by their own rules though, they'd move her photo to the ad section. She's accomplished alot, yeah she works at a fast food restaurant, but she's in school and working hard, I really don't see that has promoting teen pregnancy.
  2. I am a proud chihuahua momma!
    I am a proud chihuahua momma!
    I saw this yesterday and I personally don't see an issue with her having her son in the picture. The school in my eyes is wrong and I don't see how this is promoting teen pregnancy. What promotes teen pregnancy is all those stupid shows on MTV like Teen Mom and 16 & Pregnant. It is awesome she stuck it out and is graduating and moving on to college. She is a role model to a lot of girls out there and her picture just shows how strong she is and that's awesome, not something that should be put in the ad section of the yearbook.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    A child is not a prop.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The "no family members" part covers it, I guess, but I still don't see why it couldn't go in the ad section then. On the other hand I can sympathize with the school for not wanting to include it because I wouldn't want to deal with a bunch of parents whining about the pic and teen pregnancy and
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I can see both sides of this and I feel for the girl as well as understand where the school is coming from.

That being said, I think that schools lately are going way overboard with things, this wasn't a big deal in my high school and my friend had hers done with her son .
  6. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    The "no family members" part covers it, I guess, but I still don't see why it couldn't go in the ad section then. On the other hand I can sympathize with the school for not wanting to include it because I wouldn't want to deal with a bunch of parents whining about the pic and teen pregnancy and
    Yeah cause goodness knows it's probably only the parents who care, the kids could probably care less.
  7. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    A child is not a prop.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  8. There's no testimony without the test.
    There's no testimony without the test.
    I wouldn't see the big deal except they have a policy about only having family in the ad section so therefore I agree with the school. Rules are rules whether you agree with them or not.
  9. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jam*I*am View Post
    I wouldn't see the big deal except they have a policy about only having family in the ad section so therefore I agree with the school. Rules are rules whether you agree with them or not.
    Which is fine but they didn't even feature her photo there, just didn't put it in the yearbook at all.
  10. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    A child is not a prop.

life's a party, rock your body
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast