Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
Your argument itself is not irrelevant in every case-- that's not what I said. What I said is that arguing for innocents who get swept up and executed before their case is sorted out-- that is irrelevant to this particular case. This man was guilty and he admitted his guilt.

I apologize if my question in the OP was not clear-- I am asking about sentencing for THIS individual man and THIS individual case. Not "all criminals" in general. I am referring to this exact, individual instance. If you want to start a general "death penalty" debate, please create your own thread.

I didn't say that you don't think that he should have faced consequences. Where on Earth did you get that? I said that he needs to face the consequences of his actions. HIS actions. What he did demands a severe reaction, including imprisonment and in this case, the death penalty. If he did something less severe, then his sentencing could have been less severe. A man who is so completely divorced from the concept of morality cannot be rehabilitated in my opinion. And yes, that is my opinion, but it is not based around an emotional reaction. I am sorry that you do not see it that way-- I find it a little funny that you seem to assert that you know more about my thought process than I do, but ah well. Patronization doesn't suit you.

Yes, the question is about the consequences of his individual crime in his individual case. I appreciate your answer, though I still don't know exactly what it is-- that he deserved life in prison, or that he deserved an attempt rehabilitation? I'm guessing the latter, but I hate to assume.
And what I am saying is that TO ME this particular case does not change my stance on death penalty. My stance on death penalty is a blanket "never," and his case does not change it. And my stance is such because of those reasons, which I stated, which is why in THIS CASE my stance remains unchanged.

Imprisonment or rehabilitation? It is not either/or. He deserved prison. And all incarcerated individuals, in my view, deserve a chance at rehabilitation. Imprisonment is part of it. Paying for your crimes by being stripped of rights for some given period is part of the rehabilitation. Just because someone may be potentially redeemable does not, should not, make them immune to the consequences. That is equally not justice.