Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: International versions of textbooks?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Advertisements
    I love the one that I got It's perfect, no complaints!

Quote Originally Posted by JRNemo View Post
    I never bought one, but I was in a class with someone who ordered an international version accidentally and it didn't get to her until halfway through the semester guess all that money she saved wasn't really worth it.
    Oh nooo! Mine only took like 4 business days to get to my house.

Quote Originally Posted by MATom View Post
    One of my students bought an international version of our Modern Geometry book, and it was put together backwards... started on page 350 and ended on page 1. LOL
    Oh my goodness haha!! That is so bizarre, I wonder why. I know that some countries read right to left-- maybe it was designed for one of them?
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I never even thought to consider it!!
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    1) The reason for it is the textbook companies know they can't sell the $50 textbooks for $300 in most other countries. So they sell them here for a high price to make their profit, and sell them much lower where they need to, to keep out the competition.
    This happens with a lot of products. DVD's and CD's are sold for different prices around the world, and have different release windows in order to maximize profits. Look at your DVD next time. there is a code on their which prevents you from using a US dvd in most foreign countries. Just won't play. and foreign dvd's won't play here, foreign meaning meant to be sold in other countries.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    1) The reason for it is the textbook companies know they can't sell the $50 textbooks for $300 in most other countries. So they sell them here for a high price to make their profit, and sell them much lower where they need to, to keep out the competition.
    This happens with a lot of products. DVD's and CD's are sold for different prices around the world, and have different release windows in order to maximize profits. Look at your DVD next time. there is a code on their which prevents you from using a US dvd in most foreign countries. Just won't play. and foreign dvd's won't play here, foreign meaning meant to be sold in other countries.
    This makes me want to get a foreign DVD player and voltage converter

I hate that our country rips off its own citizens so badly. Such crap.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Oh just because it is somewhat timely,
    Supreme Court Upholds Right To Sell Foreign-Published Books - Forbes
    http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...1-697_d1o2.pdf

And listen or read the oral arguments on the SCOTUS website!
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12