Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anti Bullying video switches it around and uses straight like gay

1. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful

Anti Bullying video switches it around and uses straight like gay

Advertisements
    K, that was the most confusing title I've ever had to write. Basically, a film maker created a video that shows a kid being bullied for being straight. In the video world, everyone is gay. This is the resulting video.

*WARNING* Video is graphic at the end.

Thoughts? Do you think it is effective?
  2. Just another guy
    Just another guy
    Videos like this are always tepid in their effectiveness. Parenting stops most bullying, and those that parenting wont stop - these videos will likely only make it worse. My parents instilled the golden rule into me in a pretty straight forward way. Besides being gay is abnormal, only what 2-3% of the population is non-straight? Trying to reverse the roles won't easily translate if at all. If anything is endorses passive aggressive attitudes towards straight people by LGB sympathizers or the crowd itself. Thats juts my opinion with no solid citation to back it up.
  3. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by WarSnoopy View Post
    Videos like this are always tepid in their effectiveness. Parenting stops most bullying, and those that parenting wont stop - these videos will likely only make it worse. My parents instilled the golden rule into me in a pretty straight forward way. Besides being gay is abnormal, only what 2-3% of the population is non-straight? Trying to reverse the roles won't easily translate if at all. If anything is endorses passive aggressive attitudes towards straight people by LGB sympathizers or the crowd itself. Thats juts my opinion with no solid citation to back it up.
    I think the purpose of the video being the way it is is to give the watcher, who is most likely straight, something they can identify more with. I really don't understand how this would endorse passive aggressive attitudes towards straight people.
  4. Senior Member
    I think it's amazing and creative and just simply a phenomenal film from idea to production. But I don't think it will be effective in opening up closed minds, I don't think anything can. Most people who hate are set in their ways. But regardless, I was just blown away. Beautiful.
  5. Just another guy
    Just another guy
    Quote Originally Posted by linzerfufu View Post
    I think the purpose of the video being the way it is is to give the watcher, who is most likely straight, something they can identify more with. I really don't understand how this would endorse passive aggressive attitudes towards straight people.
    Arent most people who are abusive at one point abused themselves? Thats generally the case. Thats where it comes from.
  6. Senior Member
    Wow. Very moving and I think everyone needs to watch that. I think switching it around really allows a heterosexual to understand the pain that many homosexual and bisexual people have felt in this homophobic culture. The video was amazingly made, I think it deserves some type of award.

7. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by casey12105 View Post
    I think it's amazing and creative and just simply a phenomenal film from idea to production. But I don't think it will be effective in opening up closed minds, I don't think anything can. Most people who hate are set in their ways. But regardless, I was just blown away. Beautiful.
    I think there's only a small segment of the population who is TRULY close minded. Otherwise, I think a lot of bigots just don't have reference points for the struggle or just are straight up ignorant because of lack of exposure. This "appeal to emotion" is meant to connect the people who are more "on the fence" with the gay experience by showing it through the perspective of their sexuality, which they can connect with.

Quote Originally Posted by pftube View Post
    Wow. Very moving and I think everyone needs to watch that. I think switching it around really allows a heterosexual to understand the pain that many homosexual and bisexual people have felt in this homophobic culture. The video was amazingly made, I think it deserves some type of award.
    That's how I felt, too. It really "shakes it up," enough to get noticed, KWIM? There's a lot of anti-gay-bullying videos, but this one is doing something really different and it really makes it "rise to the top."
  8. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by WarSnoopy View Post
    Arent most people who are abusive at one point abused themselves? Thats generally the case. Thats where it comes from.
    That's a really odd place to go to. You really think that this video is going to somehow empower straight bullying? I don't think you can somehow related the cycles of domestic violence with gay children being bullied and then becoming bullies. I've never seen anything that supports it operating that way.
  9. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I thought it was really well done.

I don't think it will be very effective though. The people I know (and have talked to about it) who still struggle with the concept of homosexuality would immediately discredit this idea because of the difference between men and women have children together, versus the video where there is a "breeding season" (that surprised me, I had assumed this made up society was using in vitro and surrogates) so that the same-sex couples can have children. I often hear the "it's natural" argument being the bottom line for people not able to comprehend or accept homesexuality.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by linzerfufu View Post
    I think there's only a small segment of the population who is TRULY close minded. Otherwise, I think a lot of bigots just don't have reference points for the struggle or just are straight up ignorant because of lack of exposure. This "appeal to emotion" is meant to connect the people who are more "on the fence" with the gay experience by showing it through the perspective of their sexuality, which they can connect with.

That's how I felt, too. It really "shakes it up," enough to get noticed, KWIM? There's a lot of anti-gay-bullying videos, but this one is doing something really different and it really makes it "rise to the top."
    Yes exactly! I've never seen anything like this. It was just so moving. And that might be due to my frame of reference, but I really feel like it would be moving to those who don't identify LGBT

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast