Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Courage or Stupidity?

  1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    katinahat's Avatar
    katinahat is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    20,893

    #11
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Public yes, in schools, no.
    But the situation here was that he was NOT violating the schools dress code. If they wanted to change the code, that is fine, but to punish him for something one teacher thought, in her mind, was inappropriate?
    Ohhh gotcha-- somehow I missed that. So it was personal preference, as opposed to something actually against the rules? Yeah, I call bullshit. I'd wear the same damn shirt. I'd be tempted to change into it every day for a week right before that teacher's class.
    ​​​

    “Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Tojai's Avatar
    Tojai is offline
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St. Pete FL
    Posts
    30,026


    #12
    What exactly was the reason for the school asking him to remove the shirt? I have a hard time believing it's simply because the shirt said NRA on it. Seems like there's more to that story, what am I missing?
  3. Señor Member
    Ashley.'s Avatar
    Ashley. is offline
    Señor Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Okinawa, Japan
    Posts
    25,785
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    What exactly was the reason for the school asking him to remove the shirt? I have a hard time believing it's simply because the shirt said NRA on it. Seems like there's more to that story, what am I missing?
    I don't know what his school dress code is, but all the schools I've ever went to had a strict rule against wearing anything with firearms on it.

    be cool.
  4. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    [his] lobster's Avatar
    [his] lobster is offline
    Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8,737

    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Its neither. Its standing up to a school administration that thinks that it is above its own rules.
    If the shirt had jesus on a cross. and the same situation happened, the country would be up in arms protecting him.

    He was ARRESTED for not removing the shirt. Arrested. handcuffed by the police. Courage, not so much. Standing up against what we are doing to our schools and kids, yeah.
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Tojai's Avatar
    Tojai is offline
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St. Pete FL
    Posts
    30,026


    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley. View Post
    I don't know what his school dress code is, but all the schools I've ever went to had a strict rule against wearing anything with firearms on it.
    Yeah I've seen lots of schools with similar rules, which is why I'm asking ... it kind of seems like the issue is being conflated into something it is not, but again I'm not familiar with the story so I don't to make too many assumptions.
  6. OG Member
    April Lynne's Avatar
    April Lynne is offline
    OG Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, Tx area
    Posts
    18,486
    Blog Entries
    5
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Its neither. Its standing up to a school administration that thinks that it is above its own rules.
    If the shirt had jesus on a cross. and the same situation happened, the country would be up in arms protecting him.

    He was ARRESTED for not removing the shirt. Arrested. handcuffed by the police. Courage, not so much. Standing up against what we are doing to our schools and kids, yeah.
    I'm with Asher here, I think that schools are getting ridiculous with what they are telling kids they can and can't do these days. I'm not saying I think he should be allowed to wear a big gun shirt that's going to distract the entire class but I doubt anyone noticed his shirt until the teacher or school official called attention to it...


  7. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    sweetvanity's Avatar
    sweetvanity is offline
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    9,370
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I think it takes both courage and stupidity to go in public with that haircut.

    www.SnarkyFit.com
  8. Account Closed
    Lynn's Avatar
    Lynn is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    It could be worse.
    Posts
    29,398
    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Its neither. Its standing up to a school administration that thinks that it is above its own rules.
    If the shirt had jesus on a cross. and the same situation happened, the country would be up in arms protecting him.

    He was ARRESTED for not removing the shirt. Arrested. handcuffed by the police. Courage, not so much. Standing up against what we are doing to our schools and kids, yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Public yes, in schools, no.
    But the situation here was that he was NOT violating the schools dress code. If they wanted to change the code, that is fine, but to punish him for something one teacher thought, in her mind, was inappropriate?
  9. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    KaityBug's Avatar
    KaityBug is offline
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    10,893
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Yeah I've seen lots of schools with similar rules, which is why I'm asking ... it kind of seems like the issue is being conflated into something it is not, but again I'm not familiar with the story so I don't to make too many assumptions.
    His school policy was more vague saying "violent" shirts weren't allowed. Every school I went to said "no clothing depicting firearms, drugs, violence, or other illegal activity" were against the rules.


  10. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    TrishAFSpouse's Avatar
    TrishAFSpouse is offline
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    12,308
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by FinallyMrsG View Post
    I'm with Asher here, I think that schools are getting ridiculous with what they are telling kids they can and can't do these days. I'm not saying I think he should be allowed to wear a big gun shirt that's going to distract the entire class but I doubt anyone noticed his shirt until the teacher or school official called attention to it...
    for real.. and would that teacher had made any sort of stink if guns weren't at such the forefront politically right now?
    its WV, they live and breath guns...

    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •