Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: S/O Would you be mad if your child posted this...

1. Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    Advertisements
    14-15 (16 if they're not mature by those two ages), and I want their password- Just to make sure they're appropriately using the social networking service (i.e. not talking to strangers or older people online, harassing other users/cyberbullying, sexting/sexy chatrooms, posting pictures of illegal substances). I want my child to understand that I fully trust them to use the internet appropriately for someone their age, and in that way, I won't ever need to check their profiles or activity.
  2. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    I'm in the "my parents didn't know jack about me online" category. I think I'd have to go with the 13 age limit for TOS b/c I don't think I could stop them from having a secret email (short of putting a keystroke log on the computer ). It totally depends on the personality of the kid too. With a kid like DH, I would have to worry more about rigging a booby trap in the living room (*sarcasm*) than anything internet related. With a kid like me, I'd probably have to be more proactive about internet stuff. I think my approach would be to instruct/inform on the risks of putting things online-- how NOTHING is guaranteed to be private, and that things we say or do have consequences.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  3. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetvanity View Post
    I'm in the "my parents didn't know jack about me online" category. I think I'd have to go with the 13 age limit for TOS b/c I don't think I could stop them from having a secret email (short of putting a keystroke log on the computer ). It totally depends on the personality of the kid too. With a kid like DH, I would have to worry more about rigging a booby trap in the living room (*sarcasm*) than anything internet related. With a kid like me, I'd probably have to be more proactive about internet stuff. I think my approach would be to instruct/inform on the risks of putting things online-- how NOTHING is guaranteed to be private, and that things we say or do have consequences.
    I'm sorry but I laughed at that, that is too funny.

But I definitely agree it's going to depend on maturity level and nothing is ever a gurantee. So a lot of people have raised really good points.

4. Regular Member
    When I was 14 and a freshman in high school, MySpace was the big thing. I got one, and did not use it too much for its purpose. I was into graphic design and liked creating layouts and stuff. My mom heard about how "bad" MySpace was and went online and found mine and deleted it, and then told me after the fact.

I would not recommend doing that... but I really feel it depends on the child. My 14 year old cousin has a Facebook and all she does is gab with friends about shows, hair, nails, etc. My dad later gave me leeway with the internet, and never regretted it, although my mom was always avidly against it. I was still always banned from AOL chatrooms when I was younger, and never went on them. I don't really feel I missed out on anything.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345