Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: S/O Would you be mad if your child posted this...

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    Not sure. Maybe 16? Depends on her maturity level.
    Basically this, nothing under that for sure
  2. Senior Member
    Idk, what age are they not going to do embarrassing shit?

My friends niece has had a Facebook since she was like 12 or 13? I don't really remember but she was pretty young. But all she did with it was post pictures of her and her friends and link videos etc. I think it's totally kid dependent, but I don't want my hypothetical kid posting stuff online that's going to really humiliate them later.

I think at this point, by the time I have a kid in middle school social media is going to be unavoidable. I don't think there's going to be much of a point to heavily monitoring their accounts because they'll probably have a thousand of them and be able to constantly access them wherever they go because that's the direction were heading. I expect my kid to be involved with social media, I think by that point not allowing them access until they reach a certain age will probably mean isolating them from their peers.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I don't really have a set answer to this. Because, IMO, its unrealistic to think that parents will know if their child gets a FB. Kids are so much more internet savvy these days, that having a private/secret FB (or other social media site) isn't that difficult. Sure, you can "monitor" what kids do online, but they're smart enough to use proxys or find other ways around it. The concept of "letting" your kid join social media is a bit...too idealistic for me. My parents had no idea that I was on Xanga and Livejournal and I never "asked" to get a Myspace.

I think that with technological advances, social media will just be a normal way of communicating. Just like when AOL first came out with AIM and everyone was chatting on there, or meeting new people in online checkers rooms. It just "happens".
  4. Senior Member
    I think high school is when I would find it appropriate for my girls to join social media. I remember having an AIM in middle school but that was a bit different than Facebook and what not. I would definitely include maturity factor into the decision and the second it seemed like it was getting out of hand or being used inappropriately I would take it away.
  5. Senior Member
    I was on the internet at age 11 and that was faaaaarrr too young. I made stupid mistakes. I got my first myspace account in 8th grade.. That's probably when I'll let my kids join the social media world. Barring they don't go behind my back and get one anyways

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by L.Biebz<3 View Post
    I don't really have a set answer to this. Because, IMO, its unrealistic to think that parents will know if their child gets a FB. Kids are so much more internet savvy these days, that having a private/secret FB (or other social media site) isn't that difficult. Sure, you can "monitor" what kids do online, but they're smart enough to use proxys or find other ways around it. The concept of "letting" your kid join social media is a bit...too idealistic for me. My parents had no idea that I was on Xanga and Livejournal and I never "asked" to get a Myspace.

I think that with technological advances, social media will just be a normal way of communicating. Just like when AOL first came out with AIM and everyone was chatting on there, or meeting new people in online checkers rooms. It just "happens".
    Yesssss. Kids are so much smarter than they're given credit for. I wasn't on the internet at 11 because I was 'allowed' to, I was just smart. I went to the library all the time.

7. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    I'm not sure yet. My 7 year old is already asking for her own FB (mostly to play the games ). Obviously, the answer is no, she's not old enough right now. But I'm not sure yet when the answer will change to yes. It'll depend on her maturity level, why she wants it, what she'll be using it for/doing on there, etc.
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    My oldest is almost 14 and has been asking for FB for a couple years now.
    I just... can't.
    There is too much that I cannot hide from him and I just don't think he's ready, or maybe I'm not ready to handle it.
    I will probably let him in a couple years when he gets more in tune with what's out there. He will have to be a fb friend of mine, and some of the things my friends say are inappropriate for a 14 year old, so I am not ready for him to see any of that.

And he doesn't have a lot of friends right now, and only 1 or 2 are on FB, so there really isn't a 'need' for him to be on it. IDK, social media is just so.. unprotected and he just isn't there yet.

I also don't think there are many 13/14 year olds that ARE ready for things like facebook. To me there are too many at that age that don't understand the risks of such things (such as a creeper posing as a 13 year old)...

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    ODD is 12 and still isn't allowed. She is still learning what is ok and not ok to post online. Based on conversations with her I don't feel she is ready. Her cousin is 12 (they're just 1 month apart) and she's had a FB page for about a year now. She has a ton of family on hers, as well as her friends, so if anything came up we'd be all over it. But she hasn't that I've seen so I'd say for her she is really good. And I don't see her on there all the time. It just depends on the kid and their maturity level.
  10. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    As old as the ToS state,so I guess 13. He will have to be friends with me and give me access to his password if I ask up until he is 18 or moves out. I had a facebook when I was 14 or 15 and myspace at 12, so it would be hypocritical to say he is "too young."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast