Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lawsuit against CVS

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Her first name was Hyun, I think it's reeeaaaallly a stretch to say that "oh hey I really thought Ching Chong was how to say it!" (Not saying you feel that way, just how I would respond if that's what the employee said). I do think someone who acts like that should be fired, we've fired people at my job for less.

As for the lawsuit - I don't really think it's just being money-hungry because people tend to ask for a LOT more than "just" $1 million if they are after money. It seems like she is trying to get their attention more than anything - sometimes lawsuits and money are the only way to get companies' attention. Maybe they said they would fire him and didn't? I don't know. But it seems like there is more to the story.
    Agreed on both points.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    The employee should definitely be fired. Absolutely. We can be fired at my job for things like that too, I think it's perfectly reasonable.

She shouldn't sue though, that's ridiculous. Idk why people think they're entitled to money every time they get their feelings hurt now. It would be good customer service to compensate her in some way but fuck not a million dollars worth. That's just being greedy and opportunistic IMO.
    This, especially the bolded.

3. Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    Her first name was Hyun, I think it's reeeaaaallly a stretch to say that "oh hey I really thought Ching Chong was how to say it!" (Not saying you feel that way, just how I would respond if that's what the employee said). I do think someone who acts like that should be fired, we've fired people at my job for less.

As for the lawsuit - I don't really think it's just being money-hungry because people tend to ask for a LOT more than "just" $1 million if they are after money. It seems like she is trying to get their attention more than anything - sometimes lawsuits and money are the only way to get companies' attention. Maybe they said they would fire him and didn't? I don't know. But it seems like there is more to the story.
  4. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries

she has a point, counseling and training won't erase racism in a person. That and if it were my company I wouldn't want that person to be a representative of my company.
  5. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Can people even sue just to get someone fired? Maybe that's why the money part is on there, because they need a monetary amount to bring forth a suit? I wonder if they even expect to get it. Maybe the goal is just to get the person fired and this is a way to go about it. I have definitely seen lawsuits for a LOT more over stupid stuff in the past.

Either way, I definitely think the employee should be fired.

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    One thing to remember, too, is that often times these "frivolous" lawsuits are not filed for the money - they are often used as a way in the door for fact finding, to force the disclosure of information, etc. There has to be something sought in the suit, so a dollar amount is listed and often results in those bringing the suit being labeled as money hungry, etc when the fact is that is not the case at all. I am not saying that is the case here, but it is a possiblity and something that is important to consider when deeming someone money-hungry, etc.
  7. Talk Whovian To Me.
    Talk Whovian To Me.

Quote Originally Posted by fallinstar View Post
    I think the person should be fired for sure. I personally wouldn't sue, though.
    I agree with this.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy White Girl View Post

Yes it was offensive and inconsiderate...but seriously, grow some thicker skin people! She complained, the company said they would take corrective action... case closed! Hell, maybe at the most they could offer her free prints next time she brings in photos...but that is it. 1 million for that?

ETA: Afterthought.... what if they do have a customer whose name is Ching Chong Lee and he clicked on the wrong Lee name in the computer?? Honest mistake.
    Are you familiar with the origins of the term "Ching Chong"?

I fail to see how growing a thicker skin in the face of racism helps anyone.

Companies always follow through when they say they'll follow up, right? They've never gone back on their agreements or attempted to hide/conceal their activities either, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    if its a first offense, counseling should suffice. If it happens again, then fire.

The lawsuit is ridiculous, at most she should get her pictures for free, certainly not $1M...

I would even say he didn't even discriminate, maybe that (Chin Chong) is how he pronounced her name. I know I've botched some asian names before horribly, so I really can't fault the guy. I don't know the ins/outs if he had the spelling of her name written or if he wrote that based on how he heard the name said.

9. missing my sanity
    missing my sanity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    Are you familiar with the origins of the term "Ching Chong"? I fail to see how growing a thicker skin in the face of racism helps anyone.

Companies always follow through when they say they'll follow up, right? They've never gone back on their agreements or attempted to hide/conceal their activities either, huh?

I actually work with someone whose name is Ching Chong so it very possible that they had a Ching Chong in the system and the guy clicked on the wrong name.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123