Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are people inherently good?

1. sassypants
    sassypants
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    What is your opinion on altruism? Can true altruism exist or do you believe it's guided by ulterior motives?
    I dont think an act is ever 100% altruistic

it CAN be MOSTLY altruistic

but even getting the warm fuzzies after doing something can be seen as a selfish reason
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by WiggleWiggle~ View Post
    I think we are all selfish

I think that we will all do what is needed to save our own skin

but most o the time, that includes being nice to other people, so we do not get killed/stabbed/hurt by others

also in groups, if you can create group moral, then you are at an advantage

it all boils down to how to stay alive, I dont think its good, or evil.

but even getting the warm fuzzies after doing something can be seen as a selfish reason
    I don't agree with this at all. I agree with your perspective on altruism, but only being kind to others so we don't get harmed? That's a huge blanket statement to make when there are so many individuals on this earth who are mission-driven, selfless, charitable, etc.

Are you only nice so that you don't get harmed?
  3. Banned
    Banned

I think some equate altruism with lack of material gain, but which fails to account for feelings of personal fulfillment.
  4. sassypants
    sassypants
    Quote Originally Posted by L.Biebz<3 View Post
    I don't agree with this at all. I agree with your perspective on altruism, but only being kind to others so we don't get harmed? That's a huge blanket statement to make when there are so many individuals on this earth who are mission-driven, selfless, charitable, etc.

Are you only nice so that you don't get harmed?
    I used that as an example of WHY it is in general benificial for people, throughout the eons, to be nice instead to kill each other. We are hardly at that point as a species, but that is where I think our desire to be good comes from, preservation of the species.

I myself think I am mission driven, selfless and charitable. I coach youth softball, work on getting people outdoors, donate blood, and have a strong desire to do good with my degree once I finish (chemical engineering). But Lets not pretend that there is at least SOME benefit to me personally to do those things......including the warm fuzzies, sense of accomplishment with good grades, or knowing the fact that I give blood because there was a point in my life where I needed blood, and i never want someone, or me maybe one day, to loose their shot at one life. I strive to be a good person because I have one life to live, and I have no desire to bring harm to anyone else's one and only life. I know from life that if I treat people like shit and do mean things, people will treat me like shit and do mean things

you asked, why am I nice, and I can say I am nice because Its the right thing to do. but WHY is it the right thing to do? Because a little bit of kindness goes a long way.....from that good fuzzy feelings, to maybe even networking. We have one life to live, and enemies are harder to deal with then allys
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  5. Banned
    Banned
    I think we are all wired differently. I think we all have "bad" thoughts at one time or another, some just choose to act on those thoughts and some don't. I have to say, I go out of my way to be kind and good to people. I go by "a little kindness goes a long way". Unfortunately there are people out there who spread hate, and go out of their way to be hateful and hurtful to other people.
  6. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

No, I don't.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123