Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How to fix Congress

1. Senior Member

How to fix Congress

Advertisements
    This is so logical it's scary no matter what political party you endorse.
    I don't usually like sending out political messages but thought this was worth sharing. I copied this from an email I received.
    Begin forwarded message:
    PLEASE READ -- VERY IMPORTANT!!

Winds of Change....

Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward
    this email to a minimum of twenty people on their
    address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise.
    In three days, most people in The United States of America will have this message.
    This is one idea that really should be passed around
    Congressional Reform Act of 2013
    1. No Tenure / No Pension.:
    Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they're out of office.
    2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.:
    All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
    3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
    4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
    5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
    6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
    7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 12/31/13. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women. Congressmen/women made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.
    If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S.) to receive the message. Don't you think it's time?
    This is how you fix Congress. If you agree, pass it on.

“It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.”
    ― Rose Kennedy
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    It is a very interesting idea.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

I hate emails that beg for forwarding, but snopes is verifying this one... snopes.com: Warren Buffett on Fixing Congress

These are not new ideas. I've seen similar stuff floating around fb for a few years.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  4. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Interesting idea, but not Warren Buffet's request.

snopes.com: Warren Buffett on Fixing Congress
  5. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    I hate emails that beg for forwarding, but snopes is verifying this one... snopes.com: Warren Buffett on Fixing Congress

These are not new ideas. I've seen similar stuff floating around fb for a few years.
    You are to quick for me! Although, as I read it, Snopes verifies that Buffet said that he could fix the budget by not allowing Congressional members to be re-elected if it was over 3%, but not that he requested the full email.
  6. Senior Member
    I just copy pasted. Thought the ideas as a whole were worth sharing but yeah I've seen the ideas floating around for years too.

“It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.”
    ― Rose Kennedy
  7. Senior Member
    I have a hard time with things that are inaccurate. Congresspeople definitely pay into Social Security and have since 1983. Why should their retirements all be moved there? We don't do that, that's very silly.

They're also not given arbitrary pensions like this suggests.

snopes.com: Congressional Pensions
  8. missing my sanity
    missing my sanity
    Blog Entries

I've seen this exact thing for years. Congressional Reform Act of 2013...2012....2011...etc

I think it would be great...but doubtful it would ever happen.

9. sassypants
    sassypants
    The one I have an issue with is
    Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they're out of office.
    They are MY congressman from MY district. if He/she chooses to stay in DC to get paid, he/she looses insentive to come and find out what is going on in that district/states.
    rocket_liz is my wifey
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WiggleWiggle~ View Post
    The one I have an issue with is

They are MY congressman from MY district. if He/she chooses to stay in DC to get paid, he/she looses insentive to come and find out what is going on in that district/states.
    Its saying that if they get voted out they no longer receive pay. Not if they go to see their constituents.

― Rose Kennedy