Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Regretting having your children

1. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Regretting having your children

Advertisements
    The mother who says having these two children is the biggest regret of her life | Mail Online

I just read this article (and yes, I know it's from the daily mail, but I still found it interesting because I feel there is an unknown amount of mothers who feel this way, but never speak of it or in some cases don't even admit it to themselves).

I put this in debates in case it gets heated, but I really just found it to be interesting because I've heard this sentiment before but it seems very taboo to admit if you feel this way if you have children.
  2. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I find this incredibly sad.

3. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    She's an incredibly strong person to be able to openly admit that.

For me, not anymore. I did when Madison was born, hardcore. I felt she ruined what we had and I didn't feel a connection with her in the slightest. After realizing I had a horrible case of PPD and awful anxiety, I got help and those feelings don't exist anymore. I love my children and I honestly couldn't imagine life without them. I still have a lot of guilt over those feelings, but she'll never remember that time and I have to hold onto that.

So, it was slightly different for me, but I can relate to what she feels.

4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Honestly, I am surprised this has not been written about before.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

That's an awful way to view your children I get missing some stuff that you were able to do before you had kids but to legitimately say you regret your children? I can't imagine what her kids - even grown - think about this... Such a sad way to live.
  6. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    That's an awful way to view your children I get missing some stuff that you were able to do before you had kids but to legitimately say you regret your children? I can't imagine what her kids - even grown - think about this... Such a sad way to live.
    Why is it a sad way to live? I mean, its sad for her, but shes being honest and maybe it will make some people stop and think more before having kids. I know I deffo took a pause and thought about it. Still am. And hopefully this will make some women out there that do feel this way not feel so alone and shamed.

As for what her kids think- she did say she still loves them, she just regrets having kids. Its not personal.
  7. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Why is it a sad way to live? I mean, its sad for her, but shes being honest and maybe it will make some people stop and think more before having kids. I know I deffo took a pause and thought about it. Still am. And hopefully this will make some women out there that do feel this way not feel so alone and shamed.

As for what her kids think- she did say she still loves them, she just regrets having kids. Its not personal.
    I agree...

life's a party, rock your body
  8. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post

I agree, and I have 3 of my own kids.

Not everyone wants to be a parent, there's nothing wrong with that. Her children weren't abused or loved any less, I'm sure most parents out there have some kind of regret in relation to kids.

9. Senior Member
    I wonder if she had been suffering with PPD or something? That's very sad.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    I don't understand why it is empowering to admit that you loathe being a parent. I imagine her children are well aware of her feelings and can't imagine how having it all laid bare makes them feel.

While I can appreciate her sentiments, I find her decision to conceive and raise another child repugnant. Though she claims it was out of empathy for only children, that child is another child raised by a resentful mother.

How self-centered, selfish, and self-aggrandizing of her to publish such an article.
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast