Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: should the morning after pill lose its age restriction?

1. Senior Member

Advertisements
    I found the judges decision document. It's a 59 page pdf with much info.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...no-SJ-memo.pdf

I haven't read the whole thing but on pg 14 it says:
    Specifically, census statistics demonstrate that there are fewer than two million 11-year-old girls in the United States. U.S. Census Bureau, Age and Sex Composition in the United States: 2011, available at Age and Sex Composition in the United States: 2011 - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau. As the Secretary noted, “about ten percent of girls reach menarche by 11.1 years of age”; thus, there are fewer than 200,000 11-year-old girls of reproductive age in the country. Moreover, fewer than 3% of girls under the age of 13 are sexually active. Tina R. Raine et al., An Over-the-Counter Simulation Study of a Single-Tablet Emergency Contraceptive in Young Females, 119 Obstetrics & Gynecology 772, 779 (2012), Case No. 12-cv-762, Doc. No. 26-1. Thus, the potential population about whom the Secretary is concerned is infinitesimal, even if all of these young adolescents are unable to read a relatively simple emergency contraception label and use the drug appropriately. By contrast, 12% of the total population of the United States over the age of 16 are deemed to have “below basic” document literacy, a term defined by the National Center for Education Statistics as “the knowledge and skills . . . needed to search, comprehend, and use information from noncontinuous texts in various formats, such as . . . prescription labels.”
    National Center for Education Statistics, Fast Facts: Adult Literacy, available at Fast Facts. Obviously, if consumers cannot read and understand a drug label, they are likely to use the drug incorrectly without medical supervision, yet the Secretary has never demanded “data . . . [that] conclusively establish” that 100% of the potential users of a drug can understand the label.5 Nor has she or the FDA precluded the over-the-counter sale of drugs for that reason.
    I am still reading more.
  2. Senior Member
    No. Keep it the way it is. I don't like the idea that my hypothetical kids could take something like that without anyone really knowing it.
  3. Just another guy
    Just another guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanduh View Post
    No. Keep it the way it is. I don't like the idea that my hypothetical kids could take something like that without anyone really knowing it.
    Same.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345