Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: should the morning after pill lose its age restriction?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by azarmygf View Post
    Right, everything in moderation. Most parents are more apt to warn their children of the dangers of tylenol and aspirin than OTC Plan B though. Also, people are more likely to know if they shouldn't take common OTC medications because of medical conditions. I mean everything can be dangerous in large doses or too frequently. What I'm wondering is if they have even tested it on children.

i totally agree w/ azarmygf on this one....what happens if a girl does have a bad reaction to Plan B and her parents dont know she took it? theres no pharmacy record of her buying it and no one knows she took it if she cant speak for herself who knows what could happen before they figure out its in her system.

honestly i find it kind of funny that i was just at the pharmacy and got carded to buy nitequil but were saying people should be able to buy emergency contraceptives thats an odd line for me if i was 15 and sick i have to tell my mom if im 15 and preggo i can deal with it alone?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Right, everything in moderation. Most parents are more apt to warn their children of the dangers of tylenol and aspirin than OTC Plan B though. Also, people are more likely to know if they shouldn't take common OTC medications because of medical conditions. I mean everything can be dangerous in large doses or too frequently. What I'm wondering is if they have even tested it on children.
    Was the age restriction based on any scientific evidence that Plan B is not safe
    for women under 18?
    Dr. Galson largely evaded reporters' questions about the age restriction on OTC availability of Plan B, repeatedly referring them to the FDA website when they asked questions about it. He said that the age restriction (which was originally set at 16) was changed to 18 to make it less confusing for pharmacists to enforce. Despite the FDA-imposed age restriction, there is good evidence that easier access to ECPs (like Plan B) does not increase risk taking, either for adults or adolescents.* The reviewing divisions at the FDA, the FDA advisory committee, and multiple major medical organizations — including the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, the American Academy of Pediatrics , and the Society for Adolescent Medicine — support nonprescription access for Plan B, without an age restriction.

*A thorough and up-to-date academic review of the medical and social science literature on emergency contraception is available; click here for the PDF .
    Emergency contraception: The FDA and Plan B OTC (for the links referenced above.)

From what I recall, the issue the FDA raised orginally concerning children taking it was that there was not enough data to decide whether it was unhealthy for children under 11.
    originally, it was approved for use by children 16 and over, but the FDA recommended 18 and over only, because it would be too confusing for pharmacists.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Was the age restriction based on any scientific evidence that Plan B is not safe
    for women under 18?
    Dr. Galson largely evaded reporters' questions about the age restriction on OTC availability of Plan B, repeatedly referring them to the FDA website when they asked questions about it. He said that the age restriction (which was originally set at 16) was changed to 18 to make it less confusing for pharmacists to enforce. Despite the FDA-imposed age restriction, there is good evidence that easier access to ECPs (like Plan B) does not increase risk taking, either for adults or adolescents.* The reviewing divisions at the FDA, the FDA advisory committee, and multiple major medical organizations — including the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, the American Academy of Pediatrics , and the Society for Adolescent Medicine — support nonprescription access for Plan B, without an age restriction.

*A thorough and up-to-date academic review of the medical and social science literature on emergency contraception is available; click here for the PDF .
    Emergency contraception: The FDA and Plan B OTC (for the links referenced above.)

From what I recall, the issue the FDA raised orginally concerning children taking it was that there was not enough data to decide whether it was unhealthy for children under 11.
    originally, it was approved for use by children 16 and over, but the FDA recommended 18 and over only, because it would be too confusing for pharmacists.
    Thanks. The link is dead for the PDF of the studies. I'm still not sure, is it safe for children? Has it been tested? I'm trying to google to find some research on it, but so far no luck, just lots of articles to sift through.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  4. Senior Member
    I think yes.

Most OTC medications you see have dosing weights for 12 and over. I know 15 year olds still have developing and maturing to do, but if she's old enough to get pregnant, it's the same mechanism as any other aged woman, and so is prevention.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RebeccaLea View Post
    I think yes.

Most OTC medications you see have dosing weights for 12 and over. I know 15 year olds still have developing and maturing to do, but if she's old enough to get pregnant, it's the same mechanism as any other aged woman, and so is prevention.
    And those 12 and under? That is all based on average weights if I'm not mistaken. IDK, when I was 15 I was still taking children's doses because I weighed less than what the bottle said a 12 year old should. What is the effect of using Plan B when early in puberty? Or even before puberty? What is the effect of using it multiple times at a young age?

I just think there should be more research on younger ages. I also think that a judge should not be making this decision, but it should be made on scientific evidence by the FDA.

I'm also not really worried about 14 or 15 year olds using it. I'm more worried about 9/10/11/12 year olds using Plan B.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CandiLynn View Post
    I have never taken Plan B, so I'm not sure how common it is, but pretty much every one of my friends that have taken it have felt absolutely horrible (sick) for a day or two after taking it, if that's the case for most people, it may really not be much of an issue. Or maybe I just have very pill intolerant friends. But even so I don't imagine many girls that age can just easily manage up 50 bucks all the time to get the pill.
    i took it once and threw up the same day. not fun!

anywhoo, i agree with vino and also the PP who said an adult should be there with them to buy it under a certain age.
  7. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miriah View Post
    i think younger girls should be able to get it. while it's not smart to have unprotected sex they can at least try to prevent a pregnancy before getting an abortion.

i think parents would much rather pay 50$ for a pill vs 500$ for an abortion providing their kids tell them they need the pill.
    Quote Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
    Is this only in NY? I want this in FL!
    Both of these!

As a mother of a young girl I'd love if DD had this option, but I'd also hope she'd come to me to help her get it(she'll NEVER be made to feel like I felt when everyone found out I was pregnant with her. She will be helped and emotionally supported through whatever happens when it comes to her getting prego.. No matter how it happens she will hopefully know I'll be there for her.. ). I'd also like to know she's taking something so strong like that just encase she has a bad reaction to it....
    Signature removed due to size.
  8. Senior Member

Yes it should.
  9. scotlandgrl53
    scotlandgrl53
    Blog Entries
    A part of me wants to say but only because I feel like if you think you are mature enough to have sex at a young age you should be mature enough to tell your parents that you did it stupidly. Not to mention, how are 16 and under going to get that kind of money? Asking their parents would be the obvious answer, and again the parent could buy it for them and it wouldn't have to be available for younger kids. If making it OTC makes it cheaper... meeeh I still don't know. I think they could make it available for younger behind the counter, same process they have now, just available for younger kids. But I'm still not fly on the idea.

BUT
    Making it more easily accessible would probably make people use it more and I would rather kids be able to buy the morning after pill younger than have a baby young. So idk I'm on the fence.
    Last edited by eelizah; 04-05-2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: typo and missed stuff.
    I need a
    a
    I don't have forever or

So don't let me

I AshleyO
  10. scotlandgrl53
    scotlandgrl53
    Blog Entries
    And those 12 and under? That is all based on average weights if I'm not mistaken. IDK, when I was 15 I was still taking children's doses because I weighed less than what the bottle said a 12 year old should. What is the effect of using Plan B when early in puberty? Or even before puberty? What is the effect of using it multiple times at a young age?

I just think there should be more research on younger ages. I also think that a judge should not be making this decision, but it should be made on scientific evidence by the FDA.

I'm also not really worried about 14 or 15 year olds using it. I'm more worried about 9/10/11/12 year olds using Plan B.
    I agree with this also! 13+ Im more okay with... but literally kids, not even teenagers... I just don't like the thought of that. It's like impossible for me to wrap my mind around someone that young even HAVING sex though. So maybe I'm just biased or naive to the world.
    I need a
    a
    I don't have forever or

So don't let me

I AshleyO
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast