Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: How much Domestic Surveillance are you ok with?

1. Banned
    Banned
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Bill would allow bosses to seek Facebook passwords | Local & Regional | KIMA CBS 29 - News, Weather and Sports - Yakima, WA

Speak of the devil!
    Of course I believe that if you use a work computer, that you HAVE no right to privacy from your employer for whatever you do on that computer, especially during work hours.
    I recall reading a few responses off a news site saying that you chose to work for your employer and your employer has the right to access any and all data to discern whether or not you are an appropriate fit.

It would seem benign if knowledge was simply knowledge with no repercussions. But it doesn't work that way.

I guess the real question is: how much of your life, barring self-disclosure, should government be entitled to? Of anyone for that matter.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    I recall reading a few responses off a news site saying that you chose to work for your employer and your employer has the right to access any and all data to discern whether or not you are an appropriate fit.

It would seem benign if knowledge was simply knowledge with no repercussions. But it doesn't work that way.

I guess the real question is: how much of your life, barring self-disclosure, should government be entitled to? Of anyone for that matter.
    Many courts actually disagree, and say you do have some limited privacy expectations on your employers computer, but it is fact specific (employee policies, etc)
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I'm kind of astonished that nobody really cares about the resources dedicated to this. I mean look at how many gets up in arms about how awful it is that MY TAXES go to safety nets for those dirty poors ... but this is something we should be spending money on?

Also maybe this makes me a Kujo or whatever that means, but I think it is naive to believe our government doesn't engage in fear mongering. Look at the Congressional hearings we had about Muslims, look at the way we freak out about some nuclear nations but not others, for the love of god look at the way we justified our foreign wars.

I don't support this, and I believe there should be more justification than "well if you're not doing anything wrong you'll be fine," (which AGAIN I believe is a naive viewpoint, especially in light of our government having a history of making that statement false, whether intentionally or not).
    The Kujo wasn't in response to whether the government uses fear-mongering. It was her assertion that those who are okay with surveillance have given into said fear-mongering. It's presumptive and false

ETA: I would respond to everything that's been said, both to me and in general, but I just don't have the will Bottom line, I'm okay with the government monitoring people for illegal activity.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Partnership for Civil Justice Fund - New Documents Reveal: DHS spying on Peaceful Demonstrations and Activists
    Because peaceful demonstrators may get tv and media coverage, DHS monitors them.

"The documents show the routine use of Fusion Centers for intelligence gathering on peaceful demonstrations as well as the use of DHS’ “Mega Centers” for collection of surveillance information on demonstrations.

One document also shows the DHS engaging in what appears to be “off the books” intelligence gathering as one DHS agent writes in response to a request for information on the Occupy movement in New England, “This meeting should be finishing up soon and I'll have access to a non-DHS computer that will allow me to do more looking.” (p. 6)

The first trove of FBI documents obtained by the PCJF in December 2012 exposed that the FBI treated the Occupy movement, even before the first tent went up in lower Manhattan, as a potential criminal and terrorist threat in spite of the fact that the FBI acknowledged that the OWS organizers explicitly called for peaceful protests."

A lot more, with documents, in link,
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456