Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts if the military limited marriage to people under a certain age

1. scotlandgrl53
    scotlandgrl53
    Blog Entries
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by =Mrs.AiNokeA= View Post
    Age isn't the problem it's the people.
    this... Age isn't a maturity level. I am 21 now... got married at 19. I am more mature (even while being younger) than half the people around me. Same with my DH. People are stupid at all ages. It isn't limited to 21 and under. If those in the military are old enough to sign away their lives for years, and risk those lives they should be old enough to decide if they want to marry.
    I need a
    a
    I don't have forever or

So don't let me

I AshleyO
  2. Senior Member
    My future FIL had that sort of crazy story happen to him. [/b]When both him and his (now ex) wife were 35. [/b]She would have passed all classes, CO requests, and shrink checks before getting married, too. She still turned into a crazy bitch. (I'm sure there were some warning signs to him, but nothing that anyone else could see)

People are in awful relationships all the time. I don't think there's anything a law or military rule that can do anything to change the fact that people make blind, idiotic decisions.

ETA: If our government wasn't in mountains of debt, I would absolutely advocate for required pre-marriage counseling before receiving any extra benefits. However, that would cost a fortune.
  3. Senior Member
    I got married at 19, but dh was 24. We have a great marriage. Both of my parents have been married 3 times a piece. I don't think bad marriages or bad decisions for that matter are limited to the young

4. Regular Member
    I don't necessarily see the problem being age as much as I do generation. Older generations were brought up learning to fix broken things while the more recent generations are taught that there is plenty to go around and if something is broken, you can just throw it away and get a brand new one.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hannahef View Post
    I don't necessarily see the problem being age as much as I do generation. Older generations were brought up learning to fix broken things while the more recent generations are taught that there is plenty to go around and if something is broken, you can just throw it away and get a brand new one.
    Not to thread jack, but women are also more encouraged to get out of abusive marriages now. Just keep that in mind
  6. Senior Member
    Let those people deal with the consequences.
    Honestly, it sucks, but you do choose who you want to marry.

If you marry a person when they've shown obvious signs of stupid, crazy, uncivilized, that's going to be your Mrs. StupidCrazyUncivilized wife.

DH's friend married a high school Sweetheart who he's been "on and off with". When they heard they can marry and get like thousands of bucks a month for being married they were sold at the sound of those bells.
    Marriage ended, long story short because the wife wasn't financially responsible and Command had to get involved because credit was at risk a.k.a could potentially have him lose his career.

Some people even marry because they are bored at Tech School. Those marriages ended.

And Command should get involved when it comes to marriage. I don't believe they say "No" to someone's fiance they don't like, they are protecting that person, and their career, and possibly information that can demolish the general public.
  7. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    The concept you propose is very ageist, but maybe I'm biased because I do fall in to that age bracket.
    I also agree with PPs: crazy doesn't have an age limit.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    With all that commanders have to do in their job, I just cannot fathom the man hours and resources that would be wasted by something like this.

People need to be responsible for their own choices and the consequences of those choices.
  9. verabot89
    verabot89
    I can see the logic behind that person's points. I don't have enough opinion about it either way.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

10. aka Milfon2Wheelz
    aka Milfon2Wheelz

I can see both sides of it. Too many young people rush in or people of any age rush in to keep their loved one near them while they are in. I don't know that I'd support putting an age limit on the marriage but I might get on board with an age limit or you must be married x amount of years before you get dependent pay and the "perks" of being a married while serving.

I know many young people won't agree with it because they think their relationship is different or (my favorite) they are mature for their age. Seriously years from now people that say that will look back and realize why older people who have been there, done that side eye them and just nod when they hear those words. Fact is a great deal of people that get married super young get divorced shortly after. Yes there are plenty of success stories and everyone knows this couple that got married at 12 and has been married 120 years but there IS a problem, if there wasn't then there wouldn't be things in place like requiring counseling or requiring request chits to be routed at some commands before getting married.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast