Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "I'm Gay and I Oppose Same-Sex Marriage"

1. Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.

"I'm Gay and I Oppose Same-Sex Marriage"

Advertisements
    Iím Gay and I Oppose Same-Sex Marriage | Public Discourse

Your thoughts? I personally found it a very interesting read.
  2. Senior Member

Very interesting read.
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    I think its sad. My dad is gay- he has never come out, never dated men etc... But we all know he is gay. He will never come to terms with it, but everyone knows. Its one of the (many) reasons my parents divorced. And I wouldnt want them to stay together for the kids because he thinks having a mother and father is better than having happy parents. If he found a man to love, I would not feel distraught or confused. I know children being raised by 2 men and its wonderful. No child is more loved than that child. I think the fact that he even married a woman and had a kid dispite the fact that he knows he is gay means he has some severe internal struggles with his sexuality and I honestly respect and understand and put value to his opinion much less.
  4. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    I think its sad. My dad is gay- he has never come out, never dated men etc... But we all know he is gay. He will never come to terms with it, but everyone knows. Its one of the (many) reasons my parents divorced. And I wouldnt want them to stay together for the kids because he thinks having a mother and father is better than having happy parents. If he found a man to love, I would not feel distraught or confused. I know children being raised by 2 men and its wonderful. No child is more loved than that child. I think the fact that he even married a woman and had a kid dispite the fact that he knows he is gay means he has some severe internal struggles with his sexuality and I honestly respect and understand and put value to his opinion much less.
    I was trying to put words together for what I was thinking after reading this article. Your post helped a lot. I am not apposed to any form of marriage. I think everyone should have the right to experience marriage. I thought his points were interesting and he seems to make himself out to be a martyr. That he gave up his sexuality to make sure his family was okay, but you have a point. His kids have to realize that he is not "happy." Right? Maybe he is happy with the arrangement, but wouldn't living in the same house with his ex-wife and kids raise questions for the kids? Just as much as two dads and two moms would? Also, I believe I have read about studies where kids who see that their parents love each other and show affection, no matter if it's two moms or two dads, just show love and affection for each other actually grow up to have better more well-rounded lives and views of love.

I hope that all makes sense. I feel like I just typed as I was talking to myself out loud.
  5. Just another guy
    Just another guy
    Gay and lesbian activists, and more importantly, the progressives urging them on, seek to redefine marriage in order to achieve an ideological agenda that ultimately seeks to undefine families as nothing more than one of an array of equally desirable “social units,” and thus open the door to the increase of government’s role in our lives.

And while same-sex marriage proponents suggest that the government should perhaps just stay out of their private lives, the fact is, now that children are being engineered for gay and lesbian couples, a process that involves multiple other adults who have potential legal custody claims on these children, the potential for government’s involvement in these same-sex marriage households is staggering.

Solomon only had to split the baby in two. In the future, judges may have to decide how to split children into three, four, or five equal pieces. In Florida, a judge recently ordered that the birth certificate of a child must show a total of three parents—a lesbian couple and a gay man (the sperm-providing hairdresser of one of the lesbian moms). Expect much more of this to come.

Statists see great value in slowly chipping away at the bedrock of American culture: faith and family life. The more that traditional families are weakened in our daily experience by our laws, the more that government is able to freely insert itself into our lives in an authoritarian way. And it will.
    Hm, this is an interesting argument for me. I think people should always strongly oppose (or at least question) the government inserting itself into our lives more and more.
  6. Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    Wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Interesting. I don't know anyone with gay parents, so thank you for sharing that.
    Oddly enough, I came across another article addressing the issue of having same-sex parents:
    Growing Up With Two Moms: The Untold Children

Quote Originally Posted by WarSnoopy View Post
    Hm, this is an interesting argument for me. I think people should always strongly oppose (or at least question) the government inserting itself into our lives more and more.
  7. Senior Member
    If he doesn't want to get married, he shouldn't. If he thinks it's bad for his family, he should avoid it. If he thinks homosexuality is harmful, he is welcome not to engage in homosexual behavior. Others who feel differently should be welcome to act in line with their beliefs, just as he is currently free to act in line with his.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
    Interesting. I don't know anyone with gay parents, so thank you for sharing that.
    Oddly enough, I came across another article addressing the issue of having same-sex parents:
    Growing Up With Two Moms: The Untold Children

This is all about definitions though. I see gay marriage being outlawed as the government interfering in our lives more, and allowing it as interfering in our lives less.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Just another guy
    Just another guy
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    This is all about definitions though. I see gay marriage being outlawed as the government interfering in our lives more, and allowing it as interfering in our lives less.
    Perhaps we could all agree that Government is the problem in some form or fashion?
  10. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I think that for him and his family, what they're doing is correct. He makes good points but they don't necessarily resonate throughout society. I think that families work in all different ways and should be allowed to function in whatever capacity they need too in order to be fulfilling and happy for the people in the family. I will say that I do agree that kids need both male and female role models in their daily lives but that doesn't have to be a mom and dad it could very well be a grandma or grandpa, aunt or uncle...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast