Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: Is sexual orientation innate?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, people can be born GLBT.

71 78.89%
  • No, but people don't willingly become GLBT-- it's environmental or demonic.

5 5.56%
  • No, and people make a personal choice to be GLBT.

3 3.33%
  • Other

11 12.22%
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sexual orientation present from birth?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Sexual orientation present from birth?

Advertisements
    So I was fervently searching the internet, trying to find out why on Earth sexual orientation isn't a protected class nation-wide in the United States and I came across a conservative "institute" in North Carolina with the following blurb:

“Sexual orientation” is not an innate, indisputable characteristic, like race, nationality or sex, and instead encapsulates a concept based on changing personas and personal sexual decisions. The United States Supreme Court grants protected status to immutable characteristics, present from birth and has not recognized “sexual orientation” as a protected class. Therefore, to include sexual orientation is nontraditional as it compares to other nondiscrimination provisions. In including this protected class, the North Carolina State Bar would have assumed that every person is born with an inherent sexual orientation, a fact that is not widely accepted or scientifically proven.
    Why

My brain about exploded. I mean, admittedly, I used to believe that stuff. But in hindsight, it just seems so blatantly ignorant. I don't know. But it made me wonder-- is this a very common belief? Do you personally believe that sexual orientation occurs from birth (including GLBT)? Or do you believe that it's a personal choice that people make? Or something in between?

Poll coming.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

2. The Dude Abides
    The Dude Abides
    Oh, my state. Always famous for the exact wrong reasons.

I find that people are far too complicated to all cram into one generalization. I think that some people are born knowing exactly how they feel, and others evolve into recognition of how they feel slowly. Either way, not my job to judge someone for something that does no harm to anyone else.
  3. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

I believe it can be an is both.

I've seen some from childhood have a preference ( early age) and also have seen people be convinced of it by pressure or ridicule and therefore excepted it to avoid feeling outcast or being teased. With the second I hav seen people accept it and that been their life and ice seen people be miserable feeling they couldn't truly be themselves because of ridicule.

So, I think for some it is innate for others it is a choice,
  4. Senior Member

Although a tough question to answer, I feel that the only argument I have is that I was born heterosexual so why can't someone else be born to be GLBT?

It doesn't make sense to me to say that the person chooses to be GLBT. I didn't choose to be heterosexual. I just am.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I think its both nature and nurture.
  6. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    I don't believe it's a choice. I didn't choose to be straight. I didn't wake up one morning & just decide that I like men & not women. It doesn't work like that, IMO.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  7. ...and carry a towel.
    ...and carry a towel.
    The people who make this argument tend to pretty universally be the ones who want to exterminate homosexuality, because it goes against what they find right (natural, god-declared, whatever). Science is not on their side, and frankly, neither is morality, in my view.

I call bullshit.
  8. Senior Member
    I do not believe that it's something you choose. I didn't choose to be straight.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I think it can come from nature or nurture or a combination of both.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    I don't believe it's a choice. I didn't choose to be straight. I didn't wake up one morning & just decide that I like men & not women. It doesn't work like that, IMO.
    yup.
    i did not choose that i want to like a man. i couldnt just wait up one day and say "you know what, im now lesbian" because i wouldnt have the attraction towards a woman that i would have with a man. and its the same for those who are gay. a gay guy is attracted to men. a lesbian is just attracted to a woman. you are just attracted to them, you dont look at someone and say "hey im gonna be attracted to them and fall in love with them" no it just happens. if that makes sense.
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast