Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: Time breastfeeding cover sparks controversy

1. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Weekly Activity
    31.8%
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary4 View Post
    It's scientifically proven as well, I just don't have the time to go hunt down scientific articles, and that one was easily accessible
    No It hasnt. As I have shown both through my scientific articles and websites other people (I believe Piper?) showed. Passive immunity ends at 72 hours for the most part, and 2-3 months total. You work ina hospital right? Go ask a doctor when 'passive transfer of maternal immunoglobulins into fetal circulation' ends. And make sure to ask a doctor, as they are the ones that have been trained in physiology, histology and biochemistry.

But honestly, if others wanna believe this . I dont really care. I will continue to, not believe, since that gives an idea that there may be other possibilities out there, but to know things that have been proven over and over and over again though, and have tons of research to back it up.

And with that, I am out. Class and then actually to a doctors appointment today.
  2. Senior Member
    Weekly Activity
    1.75%
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    No It hasnt. As I have shown both through my scientific articles and websites other people (I believe Piper?) showed. Passive immunity ends at 72 hours for the most part, and 2-3 months total. You work ina hospital right? Go ask a doctor when 'passive transfer of maternal immunoglobulins into fetal circulation' ends. And make sure to ask a doctor, as they are the ones that have been trained in physiology, histology and biochemistry.

But honestly, if others wanna believe this . I dont really care. I will continue to, not believe, since that gives an idea that there may be other possibilities out there, but to know things that have been proven over and over and over again though, and have tons of research to back it up.

And with that, I am out. Class and then actually to a doctors appointment today.
    I was referring to the decrease in prevalence of allergies, not the passive immunity.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Weekly Activity
    76.87%
    I nursed until 2. According to WHO (World Heath Organization) states: Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended up to 6 months of age, with continued breastfeeding along with appropriate complementary foods up to two years of age or beyond.

WHO | Breastfeeding

According to the Oxford Journal the fats, proteins, lactose, and Vit. A actually increased from year 1-2 of nursing as a supplement to solid foods. It also shows that it stays the same in the further years as the first years nursing.

Composition of Breast Milk Beyond One Yeir

The American Pediatrics recommend that women exclusively breast feed up to 6 months and added with food until at least a year and longer, if mom and baby want it.

It "provides continuing protection against diarrhea and respiratory tract infection." It also states that : "Exclusive breastfeeding has been shown to provide improved protection against many diseases and to increase the likelihood of continued breastfeeding for at least the first year of life."

Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk

In the long run, it is what is best for mom and child. I'm happy if people try. If they can't, I'm just happy if the baby gets Feed. After 3, eh, not for me and I really don't want to see it.
    "It is endemic of the current culture that those with large stature are overlooked except by vultures. With no regard to the depth of their souls, the height of their passion, and the beauty of their moments." P.J. Pete

MacGyver can make Chuck Norris out of duct tape and a spork.

Hates Brackets!
  4. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    Weekly Activity
    1.75%
    From Breasts to Boobs and Back Again

A dad's perspective on the Time cover.

*Not science based at all, total opinion*

I find it interesting and funny
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  5. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    Weekly Activity
    1.75%
    From Breasts to Boobs and Back Again

A dad's perspective on the Time cover.

*Not science based at all, total opinion*

I find it interesting and funny
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  6. Senior Member
    Weekly Activity
    1.75%
    I think that the picture is disturbing in itself. However, I also think 3 years old is too old to still be breastfeeding from the boob itself. If it were me, I would at least pump it and put it in a cup if I was hell bent on still breast feeding my three year old.

I do know someone who is breast feeding a three year old. I have never asked her why because that is her right as not only a mom but as a human being.
  7. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Weekly Activity
    262.14%

Quote Originally Posted by EllieBot View Post
    Stuff like this makes me feel like shit that i can't bf anymore i know it shouldnt but man.... It does get to me.

But i personally think it's a bit awkward to be breastfeeding for that long imo.
    But at least she's taking care of the kid i guess?
    I can relate! I only breastfed Nikaia for a month and I dealt with a lot of mixed emotions about it.

8. Senior Member
    Weekly Activity
    1.75%
    Quote Originally Posted by *Ever* View Post
    I think that the picture is disturbing in itself. However, I also think 3 years old is too old to still be breastfeeding from the boob itself. If it were me, I would at least pump it and put it in a cup if I was hell bent on still breast feeding my three year old.

I do know someone who is breast feeding a three year old. I have never asked her why because that is her right as not only a mom but as a human being.

If it was a picture of her breastfeeding a baby, it would have not been disturbing. I see women breastfeed babies all the time and doesn't bother me. That boy was just to old to be breastfeeding.

And the pose they had him in didn't help at all. It was creepy.

I wonder how that boy is gonna feel years from now. Thanks mom for not giving me a choice about whether I'd like millions of people to see me doing breastfeeding at the age of 3. I look creepy in that picture, as do you and all everyone is making fun of me.
  9. sassypants
    sassypants
    Weekly Activity
    6.76%
    one thing I have learned from you lovely ladies
    is that there is multiple ways to skin the cat, when It comes to parenting.

The only real thing shocking about this, is the elitism and in your face attitude, like it is an alternitive method, thats what I find annoying
    rocket_liz is my wifey
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011