Thread: The word "Illegal" illegal?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Weekly Activity
    0.68%

Exclamation The word "Illegal" illegal?

Group Wants The word Illegal, Illegal
    http://colorlines.com/droptheiword/

A public education campaign wants the word “illegal” to be filed away under the annals of hate speech. With the rally cry “No Human Being Is Illegal,” Drop the I-Word is hoping that citizens and immigrants alike will be more accepting of each other.
    What do you think?
    Obstacles are put in our way to see if we can overcome them
    Awwsnails wife
    Solstice- Words to live by: "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.". Abraham Lincoln
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Weekly Activity
    384.55%

Sorry.... I understand how using the term in that way can be taken offensively, but the fact of the matter is if you are not in the states legally, you are here illegally, making you an illegal immigrant vs. a legal one.

Should people call another person "an illegal" well no... thats mean, but its where free speech IMO comes in.
  3. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    Weekly Activity
    5.2%
    i don't think it should be illegal to call them illegal. it's what they are. if i went to another country without proper papers and verification i would consider myself illegal.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Weekly Activity
    0.68%
    Quote Originally Posted by His♥PITA View Post
    Sorry.... I understand how using the term in that way can be taken offensively, but the fact of the matter is if you are not in the states legally, you are here illegally, making you an illegal immigrant vs. a legal one.

Should people call another person "an illegal" well no... thats mean, but its where free speech IMO comes in.
    , it is either you are illegal or legal, and you know it coming here that you will be illegal. I don't think banning the word is going to make much of a difference
    Obstacles are put in our way to see if we can overcome them
    Awwsnails wife
    Solstice- Words to live by: "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.". Abraham Lincoln
  5. Senior Member
    Weekly Activity
    36.83%
    Quote Originally Posted by His♥PITA View Post

This.

6. Senior Member
    Weekly Activity
    9.72%
    People who think its racial profiling are they themselves being narrow minded. People who enter a country under false pretense or circumventing entry points are residing in a country illegally. Yes, they have fundamental human rights, but they don't have the same rights as the country's citizens or who are documented legal residents. The reverse would be true if I were in their country of origin.
  7. verabot89
    verabot89
    Weekly Activity
    0.68%
    If someone is calling another person an "illegal" as a term, as a way of classifying a person... well that's messed up. Referring to "the illegals" is equally offensive to me as saying "the gays" or "the blacks"-- it's a way for a dominant group of people to classify and refer to another group of people in a demeaning way.

That being said, to describe someone as an illegal immigrant is entirely different to me. That, in my opinion, is an objective fact. Someone's status in the country is a black and white issue, they either are or are not a legal resident.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Weekly Activity
    36.83%

Sorry, but if someone is here illegally, no matter their ethnicity, then they're an illegal immigrant. If that's hurtful, maybe they should stop whining and read the law. I'm here playing the world's smallest violin for them.

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

9. Senior Member
    Weekly Activity
    0.68%
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    Sorry, but if someone is here illegally, no matter their ethnicity, then they're an illegal immigrant. If that's hurtful, maybe they should stop whining and read the law. I'm here playing the world's smallest violin for them.
    love it
  10. ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    Weekly Activity
    0.68%

Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    This!
    JojoBanana is my MSOS Wifey!
    Crystal and Lynn are my cougar twins!

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast