Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: "Healthy" "Attractive"

1. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries

"Healthy" "Attractive"

Advertisements
    So.... that OTHER thread got me thinking about a few things. I know many here have struggled with anorexia and bulimia, and that a lot of people were commenting on "underweight" and "overweight" and what's attractive and what's not. I could tell many feelings were being hurt. I didn't respond because there were things I agreed and disagreed with on both "sides" of it all.

It also made me think about my situation. I've never struggled with anorexia or bulimia, but I have struggled with eating and my physical image. This was not due to some event in my life, I'm not suppressing any feelings or feeling guilty about something. There is nothing "outside of me" that drives me to eating. With that, I don't eat a ton, I just happen to eat more than I should. I'm currently obese. I've been obese most of my life. When I haven't been, I've been overweight. Honestly? It's how most of my family is, on both sides. I've never cared for it, but it's normal for me. I'm trying to correct my weight and get down to a healthy size, a healthy me.

Without calling people slobs, lazy, disgusting, fugly, or any other name such as those, what are your thoughts on those who are overweight and obese?

It ranges SO much (as does the "underweight" issue) and I feel that a lot of people misconstrue what is considered healthy. Except for my cancer, which who knows why I got that, I have, in spite of my weight, always been healthy. Strong bones, never get the flu, pneumonia, tonsillitis, bronchitis, strep, nothing! My blood pressure is good, no signs of pre-diabetes (even though I'm WAY at a risk for it genetically), no hypo-hyperglycemia issues, iron is good. I mean, seriously, nothing seems wrong.

I'm just not sure how to classify who is healthy or not just by looking at them. There are many underweight people who are healthy (as clearly stated in the other thread) and I believe this also goes for anyone not at a "healthy" weight.

Why-Would/Do you consider an overweight or obese person gross or disgusting? Trust me, I've heard it, and it hurts.

Keep in mind the different degrees of "weight." Underweight, Regular Weight, Overweight, Obese, Morbidly Obese. (I find some people like to lump the last three together, and quite unfairly.)

Note: If you want to comment on that model, go to the other thread. Your opinions specifically on her should be kept there, yeah?

PS-I hope I've worded this clearly, calmly, and nicely enough. Be kind if I could have worded something differently.
  2. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    I didn't read the "other" thread, but in general, the only way I view people who are obese is unhealthy. And I think they should do more to workout and such. I only really feel this way, though, for those who are obese. Not if you just have a couple more pounds on than you should. I guess I don't see a reason TO be obese, because you can always work out and if nothing else, gain muscle and not fat.

I'm way underweight... and I don't know why, I just am. I'm pretty healthy, aside from low iron and potassium... I guess I see both sides. Super super underweight people should work out so that they gain muscle weight if they can't gain fat weight, super obese people should workout to burn fat and gain muscle, and those in the middle, which is probably 80% of the population... should do whatever they feel like doing.

The only time I view obese people as disgusting is when I know them, (like a cousin I have) and she literally sits and eats, all day. Does no physical excercise, to the point where she won't even walk around walmart with her mom because it's "too much" and it's just nasty. But I don't generally walk around and say "Oh look there's a fat person.. they're so freakin' nasty" that's just rude.
  3. Senior Member
    I don't really have thoughts on "people who are overweight or obese." They're people. As for their weights related to health: No, you can't look at someone's weight only and go "they're unhealthy." BUT many times you can know "they are at high risk for being unhealthy." When I said "being 84 lbs and 5'7" is unhealthy" I mean "I predict this person will experience health complications related to being grossly underweight."

I wouldn't use gross or disgusting, but I think extreme weights are visually unappealing. Highly visually unappealing.
  4. Moderator

My thoughts are that very, very few people choose to be overweight. Choosing behaviors that contribute to obesity is not the same thing as choosing obesity.

I pinned something on Pinterest the other day that said "The only thing that anyone can diagnose, with any certainty, by looking at a fat person, is their own level of stereotype and prejudice toward fat people." (Marilyn Wann, "Fat Studies: An Invitation to Revolution"

I heartily agree. Every single person has their own story, their own journey, that led to their current size. You can guess that story by looking at someone as well as you can accurately guess their social security number.

I think the way that we look at weight in this culture is incredibly unhealthy, and the way weight loss is approached in this culture is incredibly unhealthy. I also find the campaigns that would tell people that "overweight can be healthy" to be very, very dangerous. Overweight people should be neither condemned nor coddled by the medical and psychological communities. On another note- I think it's dangerous for the medical community to continue using BMI as a measurement of health.

I have millions and billions of thoughts on weight issues, but I'll watch the direction of the thread before I expound. I could go on for ages.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiley. View Post
    I didn't read the "other" thread, but in general, the only way I view people who are obese is unhealthy. And I think they should do more to workout and such. I only really feel this way, though, for those who are obese. Not if you just have a couple more pounds on than you should. I guess I don't see a reason TO be obese, because you can always work out and if nothing else, gain muscle and not fat.

I'm way underweight... and I don't know why, I just am. I'm pretty healthy, aside from low iron and potassium... I guess I see both sides. Super super underweight people should work out so that they gain muscle weight if they can't gain fat weight, super obese people should workout to burn fat and gain muscle, and those in the middle, which is probably 80% of the population... should do whatever they feel like doing.

The only time I view obese people as disgusting is when I know them, (like a cousin I have) and she literally sits and eats, all day. Does no physical excercise, to the point where she won't even walk around walmart with her mom because it's "too much" and it's just nasty. But I don't generally walk around and say "Oh look there's a fat person.. they're so freakin' nasty" that's just rude.
    Given obesity rates in our country. No. And everyone, absolutely every single person, should exercise. And saying "just eat healthy and work out" totally undermines the issue. Not because that isn't the basics of the solution, but because it's not that easy to just do.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    My thoughts are that very, very few people choose to be overweight. Choosing behaviors that contribute to obesity is not the same thing as choosing obesity.

I pinned something on Pinterest the other day that said "The only thing that anyone can diagnose, with any certainty, by looking at a fat person, is their own level of stereotype and prejudice toward fat people." (Marilyn Wann, "Fat Studies: An Invitation to Revolution"

I heartily agree. Every single person has their own story, their own journey, that led to their current size. You can guess that story by looking at someone as well as you can accurately guess their social security number.

I think the way that we look at weight in this culture is incredibly unhealthy, and the way weight loss is approached in this culture is incredibly unhealthy. I also find the campaigns that would tell people that "overweight can be healthy" to be very, very dangerous. Overweight people should be neither condemned nor coddled by the medical and psychological communities. On another note- I think it's dangerous for the medical community to continue using BMI as a measurement of health.

I have millions and billions of thoughts on weight issues, but I'll watch the direction of the thread before I expound. I could go on for ages.
    It is a measurement of health, though. A. One. It shouldn't be used alone. It's like a screening tool. It alerts someone that "hey, something not awesome may be going on here, dig deeper." So I think it's okay to keep using it, if used correctly. I am entirely open to other measurements of health and healthy weights, though.
  7. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiley. View Post

To the bold: I know for me, and TONS of other obese people I know- we DO work out. We do a lot and gain muscle and everything, but sometimes it just doesn't come off. Also, Say you have someone who is 320 pounds and they are working out like mad, eating healthy like crazy, and they used to be 450 pounds. Why would you "say" you need to work out more, why are you "fat" when it can be prevented? To me that seems to totally negate all the hard work they have done and are doing. Sept-Dec of last year I was lifting weights 3 times a week and running 3 miles 3 days a week and doing other cardio 4 days a week. In those 12 weeks, I gained about 15 pounds....
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    I don't really have thoughts on "people who are overweight or obese." They're people. As for their weights related to health: No, you can't look at someone's weight only and go "they're unhealthy." BUT many times you can know "they are at high risk for being unhealthy." When I said "being 84 lbs and 5'7" is unhealthy" I mean "I predict this person will experience health complications related to being grossly underweight."

I wouldn't use gross or disgusting, but I think extreme weights are visually unappealing. Highly visually unappealing.
    Agree 100%.
  9. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Given obesity rates in our country. No. And everyone, absolutely every single person, should exercise. And saying "just eat healthy and work out" totally undermines the issue. Not because that isn't the basics of the solution, but because it's not that easy to just do.
    I guess I just don't see why it's not that easy to eat healthy, excercise, and get fit FIT and larger than "average" (for lack of a better term) is different than "fat"... to be obese, your body has to be inversely affected by FAT, not by weight. If you're talking the true definition of obesity..

I'm not saying those who are obese will have an easy time being a size 2. But those who are obese should be working towards getting into a healthy range. BMI is a crock of shit anyways. It has nothing to do with your muscle mass v. fat mass ratio.
  10. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Malfoy View Post
    To the bold: I know for me, and TONS of other obese people I know- we DO work out. We do a lot and gain muscle and everything, but sometimes it just doesn't come off. Also, Say you have someone who is 320 pounds and they are working out like mad, eating healthy like crazy, and they used to be 450 pounds. Why would you "say" you need to work out more, why are you "fat" when it can be prevented? To me that seems to totally negate all the hard work they have done and are doing. Sept-Dec of last year I was lifting weights 3 times a week and running 3 miles 3 days a week and doing other cardio 4 days a week. In those 12 weeks, I gained about 15 pounds....
    I'd say holy shit you lost 130 lbs. That's an amazing amount of weight loss no matter where you start at.

And to add, you can't really be obese unless your weight is negatively affecting your health... you said before you're super healthy, so you wouldn't necessarily be obese...you'd just be overweight. I'm only talking about OBESITY that I think can be prevented...
Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast