Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 177

Thread: "Healthy" "Attractive"

  1. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Sunbeam's Avatar
    Sunbeam is offline
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    11,438
    #21
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Habits are damn hard to break. Brains are wired into being "food nom!" because food is, like, essential to life. And then when you get in the habit of eating a lot of food it's hard to cut back and realize what a normal amount is. If you're obese working out is harder than it is for average sized people. Then there's social/geographical/time/financial/education barriers. Then once you get to the point where they're eating realtively healthy and working out, weight comes off slowly and people get discouraged. Not to mention medical issues that can make you hungry all. the. time. And, basically, there are a lot of reasons losing weight is hard.
    Well said.
  2. <3 <3 <3
    OutlawWoman.'s Avatar
    OutlawWoman. is offline
    <3 <3 <3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    11,904
    #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Malfoy View Post
    The bold: You said that the ONLY way you view obese people is unhealthy. So, if this person who lost the 130 pounds could out run you (general) and out lift "you", would you still call them unhealthy, cause they're still obese....

    To your add: My BMI is 35.4 That is considered obese.

    (PS I'm sorry I keep missing posts, you people type too fast! )
    I guess if a doctor would consider the person unhealthy and still needing improvement then yes, but I'm not going to walk around saying "Oh you're fat, that means you're obese and disgusting and unhealthy"

    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Habits are damn hard to break. Brains are wired into being "food nom!" because food is, like, essential to life. And then when you get in the habit of eating a lot of food it's hard to cut back and realize what a normal amount is. If you're obese working out is harder than it is for average sized people. Then there's social/geographical/time/financial/education barriers. Then once you get to the point where they're eating realtively healthy and working out, weight comes off slowly and people get discouraged. Not to mention medical issues that can make you hungry all. the. time. And, basically, there are a lot of reasons losing weight is hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    The problem is that the fitness formulas only apply to normal, healthy bodies. Once you're in the obese range, your body does not work in accordance with the formulas. Not to mention that unearthed psychological issues are so often the root of weight issues that it's impossible to apply a simple mathematical "burn 3500 calories to lose a pound" statistic to weight loss for a person who is obese.
    And in both of those types of situations, I'd assume if someone really wanted to get themselves back into a healthy weight range, they could see a nutritionist, trainer, etc. who could better tailor to their needs.
  3. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Malfoy's Avatar
    Malfoy is offline
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    7,644
    Blog Entries
    1
    #23
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    I think that someone who is healthy is someone who both 1) has a body that functions and can perform a reasonable number of athletic activities [not talking marathoners here, but rather can walk a few miles, do a legit push-up, etc.] without overtaxing their body and 2) is happy with how they look and feel.

    IMO, both of those must be met in order for the person to be termed "healthy"
    Well, crap. I walk at least 4 miles a day but I can't do a single push up. Partly due to a possible rotatory cuff injury though.. (And the whole "happy" part fluxuates)
  4. Moderator
    TheSisterWife's Avatar
    TheSisterWife is offline
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    20,562

    #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiley. View Post
    I guess if a doctor would consider the person unhealthy and still needing improvement then yes, but I'm not going to walk around saying "Oh you're fat, that means you're obese and disgusting and unhealthy"





    And in both of those types of situations, I'd assume if someone really wanted to get themselves back into a healthy weight range, they could see a nutritionist, trainer, etc. who could better tailor to their needs.
    But first, some percentage of them (which I won't venture to place a number on) may need to see a psychiatrist. Because honestly, until you deal with issues like abandonment, unhealthy self-rewards, food-hoarding, food-hiding, binging, low self-worth, self-sabotage, and so on, you're exponentially less likely to see any kind of lasting success. Which, of course, can lead to guilt, feelings of failure, on and on- in short, failing at weight loss often exacerbates weight issues if those problems go unresolved.

    ETA: And I misspoke before... 3500 calories off will always equal a pound- you can't change math. It's the amount (duration) of work and the kinds (intensity) of work required to burn 3500 calories that changes with every body. Had to correct my statement.
  5. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Sunbeam's Avatar
    Sunbeam is offline
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    11,438
    #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiley. View Post
    I guess if a doctor would consider the person unhealthy and still needing improvement then yes, but I'm not going to walk around saying "Oh you're fat, that means you're obese and disgusting and unhealthy"

    And in both of those types of situations, I'd assume if someone really wanted to get themselves back into a healthy weight range, they could see a nutritionist, trainer, etc. who could better tailor to their needs.
    For many people living paycheck-to-paycheck, those are not realistic expenses.
  6. Senior Member
    Andie's Avatar
    Andie is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,747
    #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiley. View Post
    And in both of those types of situations, I'd assume if someone really wanted to get themselves back into a healthy weight range, they could see a nutritionist, trainer, etc. who could better tailor to their needs.
    Which requires money and knowledge of the availability of these things along with transportation to them/ways to get in touch and communicate with them. There are a lot of barriers and no quick fixes.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    katinahat's Avatar
    katinahat is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    20,893

    #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Malfoy View Post
    Well, crap. I walk at least 4 miles a day but I can't do a single push up. Partly due to a possible rotatory cuff injury though.. (And the whole "happy" part fluxuates)
    I just used push-up as an example-- I just meant someone who has the strength to comfortably maneuver their body and can move their own weight. A push-up, a sit-up, whatever you so choose. My best friend tore his rotator cuff in high school football and his shoulder gives him problems to this day (6 years later). And my happiness fluctuates too-- I was referring to a person who is consistently unhappy with their body. Whether that's someone who thinks that they're too thin or too heavy, self-hatred is unhealthy.

    ETA: Btw, AWESOME on walking that much!!! I did 2 miles today and my legs were burning haha! I need to get my butt in gear! Darn you postpartum body!
    ​​​

    “Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

  8. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Malfoy's Avatar
    Malfoy is offline
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    7,644
    Blog Entries
    1
    #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiley. View Post
    And in both of those types of situations, I'd assume if someone really wanted to get themselves back into a healthy weight range, they could see a nutritionist, trainer, etc. who could better tailor to their needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by oohrah_baby View Post
    Honestly, I feel the same as I did in the other thread. If I'm looking at death, it saddens me. But I know better than to attribute weight to being lazy and I dont think it's disgusting. Poverty, for one, a social issue, tends to cause obesity. You don't know what someone's life is like until you've lived it, so it's kinda ****ed up to judge.
    I'd like to point out the connection between the two bolded pieces..


    Also, not everyone who is obese is getting "back" into a healthy range. A lot of people, like me, have never been there. We honestly don't know what is normal.



    PS, I'm responding mostly to you Kiley cause you're like the only person who I see in here taking a different point of view than me. Don't think I'm ganging up on you.
  9. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Malfoy's Avatar
    Malfoy is offline
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    7,644
    Blog Entries
    1
    #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    But first, some percentage of them (which I won't venture to place a number on) may need to see a psychiatrist. Because honestly, until you deal with issues like abandonment, unhealthy self-rewards, food-hoarding, food-hiding, binging, low self-worth, self-sabotage, and so on, you're exponentially less likely to see any kind of lasting success. Which, of course, can lead to guilt, feelings of failure, on and on- in short, failing at weight loss often exacerbates weight issues if those problems go unresolved.

    ETA: And I misspoke before... 3500 calories off will always equal a pound- you can't change math. It's the amount (duration) of work and the kinds (intensity) of work required to burn 3500 calories that changes with every body. Had to correct my statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    For many people living paycheck-to-paycheck, those are not realistic expenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Which requires money and knowledge of the availability of these things along with transportation to them/ways to get in touch and communicate with them. There are a lot of barriers and no quick fixes.
    Said much better than I did.
  10. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Malfoy's Avatar
    Malfoy is offline
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    7,644
    Blog Entries
    1
    #30
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    I just used push-up as an example-- I just meant someone who has the strength to comfortably maneuver their body and can move their own weight. A push-up, a sit-up, whatever you so choose. My best friend tore his rotator cuff in high school football and his shoulder gives him problems to this day (6 years later). And my happiness fluctuates too-- I was referring to a person who is consistently unhappy with their body. Whether that's someone who thinks that they're too thin or too heavy, self-hatred is unhealthy.

    ETA: Btw, AWESOME on walking that much!!! I did 2 miles today and my legs were burning haha! I need to get my butt in gear! Darn you postpartum body!
    Ok, good! Then I still feel like a healthy person. Maybe not mentally... but all the rest.

    I walk with my client at work at least 4 miles. It's pretty awesome. I'd love to do more but I think she'd go a little crazy. hopefully I can get a bike again soon (mine was stolen last september... ) and I can't bike 10 miles a day like I was doing before.



    ETA: three posts in a row....
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •