Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: "Healthy" "Attractive"

1. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Advertisements
    It really depends on what I'm "seeing" behind just the weight. I don't look at all "overweight" people the same. If their body type is not designed for it, and if they seriously look unhealthy (eyes, skin color, ect.) then I don't think that's attractive.

Honestly, I feel the same as I did in the other thread. If I'm looking at death, it saddens me. But I know better than to attribute weight to being lazy and I dont think it's disgusting. Poverty, for one, a social issue, tends to cause obesity. You don't know what someone's life is like until you've lived it, so it's kinda fucked up to judge.
  2. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    It is a measurement of health, though. A. One. It shouldn't be used alone. It's like a screening tool. It alerts someone that "hey, something not awesome may be going on here, dig deeper." So I think it's okay to keep using it, if used correctly. I am entirely open to other measurements of health and healthy weights, though.
    If it's used in conjunction with other measurements, absolutely. Many medical weight loss measures are only approved by insurance companies when a person reaches a certain BMI, however, and I find that to be dangerous. People well below the required BMI can have incredibly dangerous levels of fat in their bodies, and people above the required BMI can be approved for treatments that are dangerous and unnecessary at their levels of health. But I'll agree with you- if it's used properly it's an alright form of general measurement.
  3. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    If it's used in conjunction with other measurements, absolutely. Many medical weight loss measures are only approved by insurance companies when a person reaches a certain BMI, however, and I find that to be dangerous. People well below the required BMI can have incredibly dangerous levels of fat in their bodies, and people above the required BMI can be approved for treatments that are dangerous and unnecessary at their levels of health. But I'll agree with you- if it's used properly it's an alright form of general measurement.
    I hate BMI. I know so many people that think they need to "eat a whole bunch" so they can get their BMI higher... when in reality, all they're doing is filling their body with fat. There is a healthy way to put weight on and a healthy way to take it off, IMO.
  4. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiley. View Post
    I didn't read the "other" thread, but in general, the only way I view people who are obese is unhealthy. And I think they should do more to workout and such. I only really feel this way, though, for those who are obese. Not if you just have a couple more pounds on than you should. I guess I don't see a reason TO be obese, because you can always work out and if nothing else, gain muscle and not fat.
    I'd say holy shit you lost 130 lbs. That's an amazing amount of weight loss no matter where you start at.

And to add, you can't really be obese unless your weight is negatively affecting your health... you said before you're super healthy, so you wouldn't necessarily be obese...you'd just be overweight. I'm only talking about OBESITY that I think can be prevented...
    The bold: You said that the ONLY way you view obese people is unhealthy. So, if this person who lost the 130 pounds could out run you (general) and out lift "you", would you still call them unhealthy, cause they're still obese....

To your add: My BMI is 35.4 That is considered obese.

(PS I'm sorry I keep missing posts, you people type too fast! )
  5. Senior Member
    I guess I just don't see why it's not that easy to eat healthy, excercise, and get fit FIT and larger than "average" (for lack of a better term) is different than "fat"... to be obese, your body has to be inversely affected by FAT, not by weight. If you're talking the true definition of obesity..

I'm not saying those who are obese will have an easy time being a size 2. But those who are obese should be working towards getting into a healthy range. BMI is a crock of shit anyways. It has nothing to do with your muscle mass v. fat mass ratio.
    Habits are damn hard to break. Brains are wired into being "food nom!" because food is, like, essential to life. And then when you get in the habit of eating a lot of food it's hard to cut back and realize what a normal amount is. If you're obese working out is harder than it is for average sized people. Then there's social/geographical/time/financial/education barriers. Then once you get to the point where they're eating realtively healthy and working out, weight comes off slowly and people get discouraged. Not to mention medical issues that can make you hungry all. the. time. And, basically, there are a lot of reasons losing weight is hard.
  6. Moderator

I guess I just don't see why it's not that easy to eat healthy, excercise, and get fit FIT and larger than "average" (for lack of a better term) is different than "fat"... to be obese, your body has to be inversely affected by FAT, not by weight. If you're talking the true definition of obesity..

I'm not saying those who are obese will have an easy time being a size 2. But those who are obese should be working towards getting into a healthy range. BMI is a crock of shit anyways. It has nothing to do with your muscle mass v. fat mass ratio.
    The problem is that the fitness formulas only apply to normal, healthy bodies. Once you're in the obese range, your body does not work in accordance with the formulas. Not to mention that unearthed psychological issues are so often the root of weight issues that it's impossible to apply a simple mathematical "burn 3500 calories to lose a pound" statistic to weight loss for a person who is obese.
  7. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oohrah_baby View Post
    It really depends on what I'm "seeing" behind just the weight. I don't look at all "overweight" people the same. If their body type is not designed for it, and if they seriously look unhealthy (eyes, skin color, ect.) then I don't think that's attractive.

Honestly, I feel the same as I did in the other thread. If I'm looking at death, it saddens me. But I know better than to attribute weight to being lazy and I dont think it's disgusting. Poverty, for one, a social issue, tends to cause obesity. You don't know what someone's life is like until you've lived it, so it's kinda ****ed up to judge.
    Thank you SO much. I really really wish more people had this mindframe.
  8. Bringing wizard awareness to muggles everywhere
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Habits are damn hard to break. Brains are wired into being "food nom!" because food is, like, essential to life. And then when you get in the habit of eating a lot of food it's hard to cut back and realize what a normal amount is. If you're obese working out is harder than it is for average sized people. Then there's social/geographical/time/financial/education barriers. Then once you get to the point where they're eating realtively healthy and working out, weight comes off slowly and people get discouraged. Not to mention medical issues that can make you hungry all. the. time. And, basically, there are a lot of reasons losing weight is hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    The problem is that the fitness formulas only apply to normal, healthy bodies. Once you're in the obese range, your body does not work in accordance with the formulas. Not to mention that unearthed psychological issues are so often the root of weight issues that it's impossible to apply a simple mathematical "burn 3500 calories to lose a pound" statistic to weight loss for a person who is obese.
    Yes yes yes
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I think that someone who is healthy is someone who both 1) has a body that functions and can perform a reasonable number of athletic activities [not talking marathoners here, but rather can walk a few miles, do a legit push-up, etc.] without overtaxing their body and 2) is happy with how they look and feel.

IMO, both of those must be met in order for the person to be termed "healthy"
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

10. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Honestly? My only problem with those who are obese is putting them on disability status.
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast