Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you feel slighted?

1. Banned
    Banned
    Lv. Percent
    19.82%

Shock Would you feel slighted?

Advertisements
    I am a bit worried about dinner tonight with my friend and her DB. I know that my friend knows about my many allergies, and she's presumably spoken to her DB about them. However, part of me feels worried that someone will order something with shellfish (one of my worst). I've discussed it with DB and he agrees that we will leave if that happens, as I'm off my antihistamines for the week due to testing.

When do you decide to leave an engagement prematurely? How do you make your exit?
  2. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    What an incredible smell you've discovered.
    Lv. Percent
    38.86%

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
    I am a bit worried about dinner tonight with my friend and her DB. I know that my friend knows about my many allergies, and she's presumably spoken to her DB about them. However, part of me feels worried that someone will order something with shellfish (one of my worst). I've discussed it with DB and he agrees that we will leave if that happens, as I'm off my antihistamines for the week due to testing.

When do you decide to leave an engagement prematurely? How do you make your exit?
    I would remind them politely, before ordering, about the seriousness of your allergies. If they don't want to comply, leave before ordering.

I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  3. "You'll stay with me? Until the very end" HP VII
    "You'll stay with me? Until the very end" HP VII
    Lv. Percent
    29.23%
    If it affects your health your friend should understand your leaving. Explain the situation to said friend if you must leave.
  4. Happy New Year!
    Happy New Year!
    Lv. Percent
    8%
    If your health/well being is at risk, by all means leave!

But, I wouldn't make a big deal of your exit. (and then tomorrow call your friend and ask her if she had a nice time)

"Missing someone isn't about how long it has been since you've seen them or the amount of time since you've talked.
    It's about that very moment when you find yourself doing something and wishing they were right there by your side."
  5. Senior Member
    Lv. Percent
    22.39%
    i don't see why that would be a problem at all. i mean they're aware of your allergies, it wouldn't be rude of you to leave. why would they want you to sit there and suffer?

i agree with reminding them politely of your allergies before ordering.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Lv. Percent
    19.82%
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    I would remind them politely, before ordering, about the seriousness of your allergies. If they don't want to comply, leave before ordering.
    I hadn't thought of that, but after the whole eating shrimp tempura in front of me...well, let's just say this should help.

Quote Originally Posted by amberj View Post
    If it affects your health your friend should understand your leaving. Explain the situation to said friend if you must leave.
    She should, I think she will. I don't know about her DB though...

Quote Originally Posted by ~Jessica~ View Post
    If your health/well being is at risk, by all means leave!

But, I wouldn't make a big deal of your exit. (and then tomorrow call your friend and ask her if she had a nice time)
    I wouldn't want to cause a scene, but reactions sometimes can be. I hadn't considered following-up with her either.

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    i don't see why that would be a problem at all. i mean they're aware of your allergies, it wouldn't be rude of you to leave. why would they want you to sit there and suffer?

i agree with reminding them politely of your allergies before ordering.
    I sat through a dinner once with this friend who had ordered shellfish. It wasn't very fun, and since I have to avoid the medication that sometimes helps...well, I have to be more direct.

I will definitely mention this to this friend.
  7. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Lv. Percent
    55.5%
    May I ask why you feel that you should leave if they order shellfish? I am VERY allergic as well but I have had plenty of pleasant dinners with other people eating it. If we go somewhere that serves it and I with anyone other than immediate family I just remind everyone I don't feel like visiting the ER that evening (makes it less like I am saying they can't do it- just kind of light hearted but makes them aware) & if they order it to please just be cautious and then make sure the waiter is VERY aware that my food needs to be handled separately. Maybe it is just because I love the beach which invariably leads to seafood interaction but I have never felt the need to miss out on a pleasant evening just because of my allergy.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Lv. Percent
    19.82%
    Quote Originally Posted by princessgwynn View Post
    May I ask why you feel that you should leave if they order shellfish? I am VERY allergic as well but I have had plenty of pleasant dinners with other people eating it. If we go somewhere that serves it and I with anyone other than immediate family I just remind everyone I don't feel like visiting the ER that evening (makes it less like I am saying they can't do it- just kind of light hearted but makes them aware) & if they order it to please just be cautious and then make sure the waiter is VERY aware that my food needs to be handled separately. Maybe it is just because I love the beach which invariably leads to seafood interaction but I have never felt the need to miss out on a pleasant evening just because of my allergy.
    What's happened is that it's gotten to the point of reacting to being around shellfish, not even eating it. That's what got me hospitalized the first time. My coworker had heated something with shrimp in it and it was swelling my throat. I had previously just avoided eating it but after that it was game over. That's why I am usually really cautious about eating in restaurants period. I can feel it in my lips.

What’s the Scoop on Airborne Seafood Reactions? | Allergic Living

Kind of explains it. This has led to "experiments" by people and exposures to scallops and other shellfish because I can't "react" to the smell alone. It got really old and really expensive really fast.
  9. We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?
    We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?
    Lv. Percent
    33.09%

I don't really have any advice that hasn't already been said, so many to you.
    Good luck!
  10. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Lv. Percent
    55.87%

I feel like this is one of those situations where YOU are your best advocate. Don't assume that your friend has spoken to her DB about it, I would say something (politely of course) before anything is ordered so they understand the situation. And that way if you have to leave it won't turn into this big thing where you're trying to explain while making a polite exit, they will know what has happened.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast