Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Drinking Under 21...

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Drinking Under 21...

Advertisements
    So I have run into some new information tonight that I have found quite shocking... wanted to know others opinions on the matter...

Apparently on January 1st 2008 it was made legal (exceptions were added) that people under 21 could drink in some states if they were in a private location (someones house)

AND either their parent, legal guardian, or spouse of legal age gave consent...

http://alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/i...D-5E7CBC9F58B9

Agree?
    Disagree?
    On the fence?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    agree...a lot of parents allow their kids to have wine with dinner or what not. My parents would allow me to when I was a teenager...and I never went overboard drinking like most people I know. I hit 21 and didn't become a binge drinker...never have and never will. Its moderation.
  3. Senior Member
    I think it's fine personally. I mean it's almost better for them to drink at home rather than doing it at some party.
    =
    HE'S HOME!
  4. Senior Member
    Completely agree.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    I am on the fence with this. I am 19 myself, so obviously they don't serve me in bars or anything (not that I go to them anyway!) but I do drink occassionally at friends houses/parties. I think as long as it's done in moderation and in a controlled enviroment, it's ok. HOWEVER, so many teenagers binge drink and get completely drunk, and I don't think that's right. I am talking young kids, 14, 15, even 16. So while I somewhat agree with it, there's always the "who is going to control" it side!
  6. It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    Are you sure it's on that date? I could have sworn it was legal before then.. I've always thought that it was okay for parents to allow their children to drink on private property.
  7. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    hmm i thought it's always been legal for parents to give their kids alcohol under supervision. i think it's smart. 1) it doesn't make drinking a bad thing. if kids are allowed access to alcohol, i think they're less likely to go crazy the first time they get their hands on some. 2) it seems like it would provide a safe place for kids to drink to keep them off the roads and keep them from feeling they had something to hide. i support it.

8. Senior Member

if the law has changed, i don't see anything wrong with it. of course, i do believe the drinker needs to be kept at this private location and not able to leave/drive away. unless a cab is called for them or there is a designated driver. i have more of a problem with it happening whenever it is against the law.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    oh I don't agree with parties, etc. But I think that law is in place to cover parents that let their children moderately drink alcohol. Wine with dinner for instance can be a very cultural thing. I wish we weren't so uptight about drinking in this country because it makes kids treat alcohol like a forbidden fruit and they go so overboard on it in order to rebel. Its sad.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylin View Post
    I am on the fence with this. I am 19 myself, so obviously they don't serve me in bars or anything (not that I go to them anyway!) but I do drink occassionally at friends houses/parties. I think as long as it's done in moderation and in a controlled enviroment, it's ok. HOWEVER, so many teenagers binge drink and get completely drunk, and I don't think that's right. I am talking young kids, 14, 15, even 16. So while I somewhat agree with it, there's always the "who is going to control" it side!
    this is how I feel... While i see the positive side, some will do it in moderation, have a glass of wine with dinner and what not... the first thing that comes to mind are careless parents allowing their kids to get wasted...
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast