Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: False Security...

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Question False Security...

Advertisements
    Do you think that some people in this economy feel that if they have xyz or are abc they will not be affected?
    Are you scrappy enough for me
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    yeah but I'm not sure its false security...for instance df just reenlisted and I don't see the army getting rid of him. Some jobs have more job security...nurses come to mind.

but I have no delusions of false security myself...half my extended family is laid off right now, I haven't been able to find work at all or even get myself an interview in the last two months and I have a masters...school counselors...not a huge in demand job.
  3. Mom to Rebekah
    Mom to Rebekah
    yes, I do think that there are people who think that.
    I am having a brain fart right now though,
    I know what I want to say but cannot make it come out
    right....I will get back to you.
    Mom to Rebekah
    Tree hugging, peace loving, hippie.
    I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church.
    For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.
    Khalil Gibran
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    But can anyone honestly say they are safe, even military? What if hospitals close, those medical professionals are laid off...

My dh just sat in interviews for positions at his work and people were saying they will not work unless they are paid a certain amount (most of which is more than my DH makes)..But some people just wanted a job.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Yep. I think a lot of people say "Well I'm in (insert job field here), I'll never get laid off."

It can happen to anyone, anytime, and people should plan for it if they can.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyJay View Post
    Yep. I think a lot of people say "Well I'm in (insert job field here), I'll never get laid off."

It can happen to anyone, anytime, and people should plan for it if they can.
    exactly, and i totally agree...I dont think anyone is safe at the moment.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I feel safe with my DH in the military. We are cutting corners because I'm not working and with things uncertain, I don't want to be short on things.

I pray that we are toward the end and it starts going up hill from here. I'm praying we hit bottom.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I dunno they paid df 100k just to get him to reenlist so I feel pretty secure with his job...and yes even as a nurse you could lose your position at the current place you're working but demand for health care professionals is so high that I really wouldn't fear finding another open position. Not everyone's job is in danger. There isn't even a national unemployment rate of 10% yet...that means over 90% of people are working. There are jobs. Its just a matter of being patient finding one and it helps if you've saved up a good emergency fund for instances like these.
  9. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennygirl View Post
    Do you think that some people in this economy feel that if they have xyz or are abc they will not be affected?
    Oh sure- like us.

10. I'm his superwoman
    I'm his superwoman

Yes I think there is a lot of false security out there.

For those of you who think that your DH's job in the military keeps you "safe," think again.

What if (GOD FORBID) something happened to your DH in the military? It is possible to get injured, disabled, and so on and so on. So while your DH may be in high demand in the military, that does not mean that he can not lose his job another way. You don't have to get "laid off" to find yourself in a rutt.

EVERYONE needs to have a back up plan. Everyone needs to have an emergency savings account for such situations.

I need to take my own advice
    Siggy is no more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast