Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Denying Treatment?

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Denying Treatment?

Advertisements
    For the sake of debate, Lets say that a person is diagnosed with Cancer caused by smoking. Do you think that they should be provided treatment if they will not quit smoking? How about a person that is an alcoholic and has developed cirrhosis of the liver. That person refuses to stop drinking, should they be considered for another liver (put on a donor list)?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    1. No. But I do think they should be enrolled in some kind of rehabilitation.

2. I don't think they'd really be able to regulate this, unless they kept them in a hospital or treatment facility.
  3. it's cliche but live, laugh, love.
    it's cliche but live, laugh, love.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Callie View Post
    For the sake of debate, Lets say that a person is diagnosed with Cancer caused by smoking. Do you think that they should be provided treatment if they will not quit smoking? How about a person that is an alcoholic and has developed cirrosis of the liver. That person refuses to stop drinking, should they be considered for another liver (put on a donor list)?
    If the person refuses to stop what is hurting them in the first place, then no. That may sound harsh, but in the case of the liver donation example; that liver could go to someone who would "treat it better" then the person who was an alchoholic.

**For the sake of the debate.**

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    Don't they already take things into consideration for organ donation? A young, non alcoholic, non smoker who is closer to death is more likely to receive an organ then an elderly smoking, drinking person who is "only" very very sick. not nesc. "denying treatment" but making a very costly and rare treatment available to someone who is more likely to be successful with it. I mean, in this case someone ELSE had to die, an die in such a way that left your new organ intact, in order for it to be made avaible. You owe it to that person, and thier family, and all the people who could have had that one organ, to do whatever you can to make the treatment successful.
    But, if the treatment is like a drug, or chemo, yes that should be made available.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    well organ donation is a little different than chemo/radiation/surgery in my opinion. There are only so many organs to go around
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    being a smoker and someone who has lost someone that had liver disease caused by drinking. i am going to be the mushy one and say yes they deserve cancer treatment. the liver thing on the other hand, if they did not get help or stop drinking after the first liver treatment and it looks like they never will then a question needs to be asked of them. do they want to die? if they cannot answer or give a song and dance then they do not get another liver, i would however make their passing as painless as possible.

i will admit though saying that because someone suffers from a serious addiction and has the diseased side effects from that addiction, deserves no help is just cruel.
    I feel the need to be petted too!
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by leanne View Post
    being a smoker and someone who has lost someone that had liver disease caused by drinking. i am going to be the mushy one and say yes they deserve cancer treatment. the liver thing on the other hand, if they did not get help or stop drinking after the first liver treatment and it looks like they never will then a question needs to be asked of them. do they want to die? if they cannot answer or give a song and dance then they do not get another liver, i would however make their passing as painless as possible.

i will admit though saying that because someone suffers from a serious addiction and has the diseased side effects from that addiction, deserves no help is just cruel.
    Exactly. Alcoholism is a disease. It makes a person no less worthy of living.
  8. it's cliche but live, laugh, love.
    it's cliche but live, laugh, love.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leanne View Post

It may sound cruel, but if the person who recieves a new organ, and continues on a "destructive" path anyway, they shouldn't get it. However, if the person decided that they would stop drinking/smoking/etc, then I would advocate that they should get the organ. Like another person said, there's a limited amount of organs/donors. **Please don't feel like I'm picking on you or the situation you've gone through. I'm just speaking in general. **

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    ^^ agreed with both of you

the only problem with the organ transplants is that there are only so many to go around so some conditions automatically disqualify people from receiving organs. Anything possible should be done to save anyone's life though....even if they have an addiction.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Lynn View Post
    Exactly. Alcoholism is a disease. It makes a person no less worthy of living.
    i agree. some people would get very sick if they quit drinking out of the blue.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast